Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:29 pm 

Certainly not the type of tariff article that's a non-stop barrage of numbers.

And there's quite a few interesting discussion points. Trouble is, there's hardly any numbers at all, so not enough meat on the bones to support the points being made. So it's the other extreme from the articles with a blizzard of numbers, but this one could actually do with a few numbers to support the debating points :?

Consultation on increasing fares for taxis in Northumberland prompts 'a cry for help' from one driver

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk ... er-4113751

Results of a consultation on increasing taxi fares in Northumberland have revealed divided views on the proposal.

Northumberland County Council’s licensing and regulatory committee provisionally agreed to a 5% increase to the maximum tariffs at a meeting in February, and decided a consultation of taxi licence holders on the decision should take place.

If the tariff change proceeds, a five-mile journey in a council-licensed ‘Hackney carriage’ on a standard tariff would increase in price from £12.30 to £12.90.

One driver felt the rise was not substantial enough, and highlighted how one local firm had handed back its licences to operate solely as a private hire firm, so that it could set its own rates.

The response said: “Every major sector is currently taking strike action just to receive a reasonable rate of pay to be able to survive during these ridiculous times.

“Are we to be in a similar situation, that the only way anyone at the top will listen to our cries is to arrange a strike?”

The respondent felt there was not a big enough difference in the tariffs drivers of eight-seater vehicles were allowed to charge, something highlighted by multiple other consultees.

They said: “We pay more for the vehicle, more in repairs and maintenance, and a hell of a lot more in fuel to carry double the number of passengers for no benefit, so where is the incentive?”

They added: “I hope you can take this email for what it is: a cry for help and not a rant.

“I love my job and my town. I have driven taxis in Blyth for over 20 years but it is about time we, the drivers, and you, the licensing department, stopped fighting against each other.

“We the drivers deserve it, Northumberland deserves it, my town of Blyth deserves it.”

18 responses were received criticising the fare change, with only seven saying they backed it.

Although the most common criticism from drivers was that the increase needed to be higher, there were a couple of responses suggesting there should be no change.

One email respondent said: “In my opinion the taxi trade does not need a fare increase at the moment . Taking into account the current cost of living and lack of trade due to the knock on effect of Covid, taxis have become a luxury.

“The current fare scale and the proposed fare scale penalise anyone travelling longer distances and make a minimal increase on shorter fares.

“The shorter fares are what needs to be amended to assist the operators as the majority of taxi fares are shorter distances.”

Responses were also received that criticised the soiling charge as too low and questioned the need for luggage charges.

Fares also increased last summer by 5%, with drivers facing spiralling fuel costs at the time.

That was the first increase for five years, but the council pledged to reexamine the issue again this year due to the cost of living crisis.

The council recently increased the licence fee for Hackney carriages, in order to recoup its own rising administration costs.

The Licensing and Regulatory Committee will decide on Wednesday, April 26 whether or not to modify the tariff changes and the date that they should be implemented.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:19 pm 

Quote:
Fares also increased last summer by 5%, with drivers facing spiralling fuel costs at the time.

So fares increased 5% last year when inflation was 10%, and the council is proposing another 5% when inflation is currently 10%.

Are councillors up there that f***ing thick? :-k

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:55 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

So fares increased 5% last year when inflation was 10%, and the council is proposing another 5% when inflation is currently 10%.

Are councillors up there that f***ing thick? :-k

Not necessarily if you do the maths because if your costs represent 40% of your turnover then 10% inflation is increasing your costs but a 5% rise will cover that and a bit on top.

Now councillors are ALLEGEDLY elected to represent the best interests of their constituents so not increasing fares by 10% is in their best interests

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:31 pm 

Quote:
Not necessarily if you do the maths because if your costs represent 40% of your turnover then 10% inflation is increasing your costs but a 5% rise will cover that and a bit on top.

Do we do that with all the other professions? #-o

And does anyone, apart from you maybe, really think those councillors are going to get into the fine minutia of our costs?

And are the costs for someone buying a £70,000 WAV EV the same as someone with a 10-year-old Skoda?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:11 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Do we do that with all the other professions? #-o

And does anyone, apart from you maybe, really think those councillors are going to get into the fine minutia of our costs?

And are the costs for someone buying a £70,000 WAV EV the same as someone with a 10-year-old Skoda?

I'm just saying neither of us were party to their discussions and deliberations and was offering a potential rationale and I very much doubt anyone up there is running an electric wav which is perhaps another reason for them looking at PH

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:35 am 

When our Council cocked up the tariff review a few years back we changed to PH and immediately increased our prices. Last year we increased them by 10% as well, still no increase for the Hackneys though. We are quite a bit more expensive that the Hackneys that actually use their meters and no one mentions it. The customers seem to prefer paying the extra for the service they receive from our drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 pm 

A mate of mine did a Uber local job yesterday (Uber booking undertaken by a non-Uber car).

As he is a nosey so and so he checked the Uber app to see what they were charging. They were surging and were charging £23.55 for the job. He got £8.40 and it went £6.70 on the meter.

So in effect, the local driver was getting meter plus 25%.

My point here is the customer could have booked a local car and paid 20% less, or could have walked down to the rank or flagged a taxi down and paid 20% less.

But they didn't, and the only reason I can think of is they don't give a f***. So why should we? :-k

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:14 pm 

Didn't bother posting the previous article on Northumberland tariffs, because unless there's something particularly interesting I can't really be bothered with tariff pieces, and I don't think anyone else posted it.

Nothing that interesting here either, and you can get a fair idea of what it's all about from the headline and strapline.

But did also come across the AI version, or whatever.

So interesting to compare the two. And, to be 'fare', the AI one isn't too bad, and is a bit more straight bat than the likes of the Stoke stopcheck piece.

Still reads like a bit of a word salad at times, and a tad over-dramatic, though :?

And The Capitalisation Of Every Word In The Headline Indicates That It's Not UK-Sourced :-o

As do the likes of 'emphasizes' spelt with the Z rather than S [-(

"It's not sustainable" - Warning taxi trade may not survive in Northumberland without fare increases

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... i-28714877

Councillors voted to keep fares the same earlier this month

Northumberland Council Refuses Taxi Fare Hike Amid Rising Costs, Sparking Trade Outcry

https://bnnbreaking.com/politics/northu ... ade-outcry

Discover the fiery debate between Northumberland County Council and local taxi associations regarding taxi fare adjustments. Delve into the financial challenges faced by drivers and the potential impact on the future of taxi services in Northumberland.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:11 pm 

Quote:
But did also come across the AI version, or whatever.

You have uncovered a whole new hobby. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:28 pm 

It's a bit of a novelty at the moment, Sussex, and can't resist at least having a peak at the different writing styles and approaches to the issues. But I'm sure I'll soon get fed up :?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:46 pm 

Quote:
But I'm sure I'll soon get fed up :?

It won't take long.