Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:34 pm 

One of those :-o

But I doubt if anyone will notice 8-[

And don't know how this might intersect with HC tariffs, but I assume the TOA circuit does have HCs with, you know, meters fitted...

Flagfalls certainly not cheap, though, but running mile is :-o

'Forced to increase': Taxi firms reveal rise in fare prices

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/241 ... re-prices/

TWO taxi firms have announced that they have been "forced" to raise their price rate.

Alpha Taxis Johnstone and Johnstone TOA Taxis revealed this week that their new starting fare will be £4.40 for the first mile and then £1.60 per mile thereafter.

The announcement was published on social media.

It was stated that both companies, based in Johnstone, have "done their very best" to prevent prices from increasing.

The last fare increase came two years ago but the taxi firms have said that they are now "forced to increase the fares" due to a rise in costs of fuel, insurance and maintenance.

Weekend nights fares will also be raised with starting prices on a Friday and Saturday now being £5.40 from 7pm until 11pm and £6.40 until 11pm until 4am.

Both taxi firms have thanked people for their understanding and hoped that people would "understand the need".

The post online said: "Both Alpha Taxis Johnstone and Johnstone TOA would like to advise all customers that our fares will be increasing from midnight on Monday, March 4.

"The drivers at both companies have done their very best to absorb all the increases that have been happening around them (fuel, insurance, maintenance etc) since the last fare increase two years ago but unfortunately we are now forced to increase the fares to our customers.

"Our new starting fare will be £4.40 for the first mile and £1.60 per mile thereafter.

"On a Friday and Saturday night the fares will be as follows:

"From 7pm-11pm our starting fare will be £5.40 for the first mile and £1.60 per mile thereafter.

"From 11pm-4am our starting fare will be £6.40 for the first mile and £1.60 per mile thereafter.

"We are sure you will all understand the need for this increase and we would like to thank everyone for their continued custom."

People rushed to the comments to show their support for the firms.

One person said: "Great drivers. They are always good to me, don't know what I'd do without you all. Many thanks."

A second said: "Needs must. I just wish there were more taxis about to fulfil the demand."

Whilst a third said: "Hopefully encourages more drivers".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:35 pm 

Quote:
People rushed to the comments to show their support for the firms.

Well that makes a change :-o

And it's been rehashed by our AI friends :-o

This is just an extract:

AI bot wrote:
As Johnstone adapts to these fare changes, the broader implications for local transportation dynamics and accessibility come into focus. The increase not only affects daily commuters and occasional passengers but also signals potential shifts in the local economy, potentially influencing other sectors reliant on transportation services. This fare adjustment, while met with understanding, underscores the delicate balance between operational sustainability and customer affordability in an ever-evolving economic landscape.

Yes, I'm sure talk on the ranks and in the pubs is of 'the broader implications for transport dynamics' and 'the delicate balance between operational sustainability and customer affordability in an ever-evolving economic landscape' :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:10 pm 

In fact Johnstone TOA Taxis describes itself as the 'first private hire taxi company in Johnstone' :-o

So my earlier point about regulated fares was irrelevant :?

Of course, not unusual for private hire despatch operations to use the t-word, but normally a TOA would be a Taxi Owners' Association, therefore...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:56 pm 

Don't like the phrase 'forced'.

Stuff goes up all the time, our trade shouldn't be afraid of putting up our fares in line with our increased costs.

Doing the big apologies to punters who generally, IMO, understand or don't care, is just plain daft.