Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:32 pm 

More than a touch of advertorial about this. Sounds like she's doing discounted runs only if she's got nothing better to do, and obviously using that as a wider pitch for marketing purposes.

And sorry to sound mean, but do you really want teenagers in your car anyway? The chaos caused by free buses for teens here in Scotland is maybe instructive in that regard...

And at 50% that sounds just a discount too far :-o

Then there's the likes of age verification... :?

Unusually, though, there's not really anything direct about the female driver aspect, although it's obviously stated that she is one...

Female taxi driver in Stroud to reduce rates for teenagers

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... teenagers/

A FEMALE taxi driver says she will reduce her rates for teenagers following a scary incident in Stroud on Saturday night.

Jody Dyer, who runs JLD taxis, has been a taxi driver for three years.

Covering Stroud and the surrounding areas, on Saturday night after dropping a customer off at the top of town, two girls ran up to her, begging her to take them home.

Ms Dyer said: “One was looking scared and the other was crying and looked petrified.

“They didn’t say what was wrong but that they just wanted to get home – I took them to where they were safe which was Minchinhampton.

“For this reason I announced that I would give 50 per cent off to teenage boys and girls if and when they needed to get home.

“Obviously it would be when I am available and haven’t got customers at the time.

“But as long as they have a safe place to go to and can wait I would get them as soon as I possibly could.”

Contact JLD taxis on 07548292708

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:34 pm 

Funny thing, too, is that I read the AI version before the local press version above, and as you'd expect it the AI one sounds less advertorial, and gives a slightly different impression, if only because of the amount of embellishment about the wider 'community' etc.

And, for example, skimming this quickly I got the impression she worked for a larger firm, but the local version above immediately gives the impression that she's a one-man-band (or 'one-woman-band', obviously) and that she's using the incident as a pitch for work.

That doesn't seem quite so obvious from the stuff below, but it all just seems more AI and less advertorial. And there's the typical closing couple of paragraphs of feelgood stuff about the community etc.

'A beacon of hope and safety' indeed :roll:

Stroud Taxi Driver Offers 50% Discount to Teens for Safe Rides Home

https://bnnbreaking.com/lifestyle/strou ... rides-home

In Stroud, taxi driver Jody Dyer offers a 50% discount to teenagers for safe rides home, a response to ensuring youth safety in the community.

In an effort to ensure the safety of teenagers in Stroud, Jody Dyer, a local taxi driver with JLD taxis, is offering a 50% discount to teenage boys and girls needing a ride home. This initiative springs from a distressing encounter Dyer had one Saturday night when two visibly shaken girls approached her for a ride, emphasizing the need for reliable transportation for teens in vulnerable situations.

Immediate Response to a Night of Fear

After witnessing the fear and desperation of two young girls late at night, Dyer, who has been navigating the streets of Stroud and its surroundings for three years, felt compelled to take action. The girls, one scared and the other in tears, did not disclose what had frightened them but urgently requested to be taken to their home in Minchinhampton. Moved by their plight, Dyer not only ensured their safe arrival but also decided to make a significant change in her business model. "I took them to where they were safe which was Minchinhampton," Dyer recounted, highlighting the importance of offering a helping hand in times of need.

A Lifeline for Teenagers

Understanding the vulnerability of teenagers, especially during the night, Dyer’s decision to offer a 50% discount aims to provide a reliable and safe option for them to get home. "One was looking scared and the other was crying and looked petrified," she said, emphasizing the gravity of the situation that led to her generous offer. This discount is available whenever Dyer is not servicing other customers, ensuring that, as far as possible, no teenager is left without a safe way to reach home. Her initiative is a testament to the community spirit and the protective stance individuals can take to safeguard the youth.

Community Impact and Safety First

Dyer's announcement has been met with widespread support from the Stroud community, serving as a reminder of the importance of looking out for one another, especially the younger members of society. By offering a significant discount, she not only provides a financial incentive for teenagers to choose a safe transportation option but also raises awareness about the dangers they may face. Her actions serve as a call to action for other taxi services and community members to consider ways they can contribute to creating a safer environment for all.

As Dyer continues to offer discounted rides to teenagers, her commitment to their safety shines a light on the power of individual actions to make a positive difference. This initiative not only reflects the community's collective responsibility towards its younger members but also sets a precedent for how businesses can play a crucial role in ensuring the well-being of their clientele. Through her actions, Dyer has become a beacon of hope and safety for the teenagers of Stroud, proving that compassion and proactive measures can indeed make a significant impact.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:15 pm 

Pity about the 12-year-olds and younger, though :-o

Of course, it's all a bit woolly, and I'm sure we're all aware of the pitfalls around this kind of thing. For example, do the teens have to be unaccompanied by adults or younger kids? :?:

And, I mean, particularly at night, quite normal to have groups of people in late-teens or slightly older, who can be a pain at the best of times. So are they all eligible for the 50% off if only one of them is a teen? And, of course, are you going to ask for some sort of age verification?

And all for a 50% discount :shock:

No thanks =;

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:59 pm 

I read this and had to check the date. I thought for a minute that it was April 1st.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:19 pm 

Grandad, like a lot of things like this, I wonder if she's thought it through properly.

Somehow can't see it lasting long :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:27 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Grandad, like a lot of things like this, I wonder if she's thought it through properly.

Somehow can't see it lasting long :?

I think she will soon regret it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:39 pm 

Quote:
And sorry to sound mean, but do you really want teenagers in your car anyway?

No.

And will these teenagers actually be teenagers, and will they actually be in trouble?

Or will they be trying to mug off a taxi driver, who some may say is being incredibly naive?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:42 pm 

This is pretty uninteresting, and in fact the AI version is more interesting than the standard press version, and the public notice :lol:

And it's a bit of a coincidence that this appeared just after the article above, therefore...

The usual blather about 'sparking interest' and the 'community' reaction :roll:

And far from 'marking a significant shift in local transportation regulation', I'd say 'blink and you'd miss it' :lol:

Stroud District Council Announces Taxi License Fee Changes Starting April 2024

https://bnnbreaking.com/local-news/stro ... april-2024

Starting April 2024, Stroud District Council revises fees for taxi licenses, including application, renewal, and vehicle-related costs. Public feedback sought until 22 March.

The Stroud District Council has declared an adjustment in the fees for hackney carriage and private hire licenses, marking a significant shift in local transportation regulation. Starting from 1 April 2024, the revisions encompass a wide array of fee modifications for new driver applications, renewals, knowledge tests, DBS checks, and vehicle-related changes. This move has sparked interest among drivers and stakeholders, with a deadline for objections set until 22 March 2024.

Scope of Changes and Application Fees

In a detailed announcement, the Council outlined the forthcoming adjustments to the licensing fees. Notably, new driver application fees will hold at £160 for a single year but will see an increase for a three-year term from £280 to £298. Renewal fees for existing licenses are also set to rise, with a one-year renewal climbing from £89 to £94 and a three-year renewal from £225 to £238. These changes reflect the Council's efforts to align with operational costs and regulatory standards.

Knowledge Tests, DBS Checks, and Vehicle Changes

Further alterations include a slight increase in the cost for knowledge tests, moving from £65 to £66, while the fee for a DBS check remains unchanged at £54.40. Vehicle-related fees will see minimal adjustments, with the cost to transfer the ownership of a vehicle or change a vehicle remaining stable or experiencing nominal increases. These modifications are crucial for maintaining the integrity and safety standards of the taxi service industry within the district.

Public Response and Implementation Timeline

The Council has opened the floor for public feedback on the proposed fee changes, providing residents and stakeholders until 22 March 2024 to voice any objections. Should there be no objections, or if all objections are withdrawn, the new fee structure will become effective on 1 April 2024. This timeline allows for sufficient public discourse and adjustments based on community feedback, ensuring the changes meet the needs and concerns of all parties involved.

The adjustments in licensing fees signal a broader move towards updating the regulatory framework governing hackney carriage and private hire services in the Stroud district. As the deadline for objections approaches, the community's response will play a pivotal role in shaping the final implementation of these changes. Stakeholders are encouraged to review the full list of proposed changes and participate in the decision-making process, ensuring that the evolution of local transportation services remains inclusive, transparent, and aligned with public interest.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:43 pm 

:lol:

Quote:
These modifications are crucial for maintaining the integrity and safety standards of the taxi service industry within the district.

I'm sure :roll:

This is the straight bat version, and simply looks like an official council notice published verbatim by the local press:

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... -vehicles/

This is the public notice, and is easily digestible with a quick skim down the numbers, which are straightforwardly presented. Not a lot to see here, would be my quick take :-o

https://publicnoticeportal.uk/stroud-ne ... 4467de4a54