Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:44 am 

Will this English test apply to Union Representatives as well?

If so, I can forsee a resignation coming soon. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:25 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:
So how did the manage to get into the situation in the first place? I mean, allowing interpreters

Errm possibly because in Birmingham there is a high percentage of people that dont have English as a first language and this in line with an LA that may have either as legal department that is trying to be PC.

or perhaps the LA believed bringing in such a test would be frowned upon by elements of the community / voters.

I gathered that, but my point was that if the LA managed to get into this position in the first place then it undermines your assertion that they know best, irrespective of the fact that it's now doing something about it.

Quote:
Quote:
But my point was that JD was clearly implying that other LAs were deficient as regards this issue, and you applauded this.

Nope, I appaluded JD's statement stating the issue shouldnt be swept under the carpet.

Well I would have a quick look back up the thread, because you quoted all of JD's statement, and applauded the whole quote.

In any case, I don't think you can seperate what JD said with regard to sweeping things under the carpet from his more general crticisms of councils - the particular sentence that you're referring to said:

At least Birmingham are not sweeping the issue under the table as some councils might but in reality it should never have got this far

Faint praise indeed!

Quote:
Quote:
Thus you clearly think that some councils don't know best, despite your more general claims to the contrary.

You seem to be making assumptions about what I am thinking.

Well you seem to do a pretty good line in criticising councils, thus I think it's fair to say that you consider that councils don't always know best?

Quote:
Quote:
Of course, I hardly needed to point this out, but this councils know best nonsense is merely a piece of empty rhetoric, which means: councils know best when the do what I want them to.

Of course you did need to point it out, because you wanted to make the statement.

My purpose was to underline that you seem to be all at sea with this, which seems fairly obvious, but on the other hand each time you contradict yourself then it's worth pointing out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:33 pm 

Quote:
I gathered that, but my point was that if the LA managed to get into this position in the first place then it undermines your assertion that they know best, irrespective of the fact that it's now doing something about it.

It does nothing of the sort.

Indeed it reaffirms a point that the LA can adapt to changing circumstances.

Quote:
Well I would have a quick look back up the thread, because you quoted all of JD's statement, and applauded the whole quote.

In any case, I don't think you can seperate what JD said with regard to sweeping things under the carpet from his more general crticisms of councils - the particular sentence that you're referring to said:

At least Birmingham are not sweeping the issue under the table as some councils might but in reality it should never have got this far

Faint praise indeed!

I was referring to this bit At least Birmingham are not sweeping the issue under the table as some councils

Quote:
Well you seem to do a pretty good line in criticising councils, thus I think it's fair to say that you consider that councils don't always know best?

Is it the councils or the LO's advising them? or indeed the legal departments?

Quote:
My purpose was to underline that you seem to be all at sea with this, which seems fairly obvious, but on the other hand each time you contradict yourself then it's worth pointing out.

I tend to disagree, I think your trying to score points.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:38 pm 

So MrT and Captain do you or would you hire a vehicle,use a driver whose english is sub standard
in London we hear reports of the top test being corrupted by the use of interprators.Of course the test in London is incestious.We took the position,give them enough rope!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:51 pm 

Quote:
So MrT and Captain do you or would you hire a vehicle,use a driver whose english is sub standard

No, I insist all drivers recite Mein Kampf

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:16 pm 

But you accept it in Urdu OR the Queens German???????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:47 pm 

Quote:
But you accept it in Urdu OR the Queens German???????????????

And whats that supposed to mean?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:35 am 

GMB Branch secretary wrote:
would you hire a vehicle,use a driver whose english is sub standard in London

The captain only uses real London Taxi's when in the capital, not Minicabs. :shock:

Vintage ones at that! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:17 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

It does nothing of the sort.

Indeed it reaffirms a point that the LA can adapt to changing circumstances.

Well that's a good way of saying that they can change their mind when they've realised they've cocked up - I think that's what's called spin.

Quote:
I was referring to this bit At least Birmingham are not sweeping the issue under the table as some councils

OK, so you can't use the quote function properly, but that's not my fault. :shock:

But even in the small part that you now quote you agree that some councils are sweeping the issue under the carpet - is that an example of councils knowing best?

Quote:
Is it the councils or the LO's advising them? or indeed the legal departments?

Last time I looked these were all part of the council :D

Quote:
I tend to disagree, I think your trying to score points.

Another example of spin - you're talking bullocks, and I'm pointing this out - that's how I'd characterise it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:17 pm 

GBC wrote;

Quote:
The captain only uses real London Taxi's when in the capital, not Minicabs.

Vintage ones at that!

Thats true, me and sam even politely ignored the pedicab touts and walked back to the hotel from a chinese italian :lol:

TDO

Quote:
Well that's a good way of saying that they can change their mind when they've realised they've cocked up - I think that's what's called spin.

Its what I call change.

Quote:
OK, so you can't use the quote function properly, but that's not my fault.

But even in the small part that you now quote you agree that some councils are sweeping the issue under the carpet - is that an example of councils knowing best?

Yes but better than some :wink:

Yes it is.

Quote:
Last time I looked these were all part of the council

Your changing tact, is this an example of you doing your own spin?

Quote:
Another example of spin - you're talking bullocks, and I'm pointing this out - that's how I'd characterise it

And your point scoring :wink:

CC