Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:40 pm 

Cabbies set to face English tests

THOUSANDS of city taxi and private hire drivers may be required to pass an English test to keep their licences. Councillors are pressing for a new round of checks after receiving a wave of complaints from passengers who can't communicate with drivers.

Compulsory English tests for newcomers applying to join the ranks of Birmingham's 1,500 cabbies and 4,500 private hire drivers were introduced four years ago. But they have just been toughened up after a driver who had passed them appeared at council hearings with an interpreter.

Coun Nigel Dawkins, a member of the city's licensing committee, has told his colleagues that the problem still remains. "There are still drivers out there whose grasp of English is barely comprehensible. Recently we had one before us whose lack of English had provoked complaints from the public. "He got his private hire licence five years ago before the test was introduced and came before us with an interpreter."

Coun Dawkins said the problem was primarily one with private hire drivers as opposed to cabbies. He is asking the committee to check the communication skills of all drivers who were licensed before the English tests were introduced.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:40 pm 

Sussex wrote:
But they have just been toughened up after a driver who had passed them appeared at council hearings with an interpreter.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:57 pm 

just send in good old boris

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:01 pm 

So did this council "know best" then, or does it just "know best" now? :-k

Or perhaps it's just completely clueless? #-o

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:34 pm 

Sussex wrote:
[size=18][b] Coun Dawkins said the problem was primarily one with private hire drivers as opposed to cabbies. He is asking the committee to check the communication skills of all drivers who were licensed before the English tests were introduced.

At least Birmingham are not sweeping the issue under the table as some councils might but in reality it should never have got this far. I ask the question should the public be entitled to communicate with the driver in English, regardless of what vehicle they drive? Obviously many licensing authorities believe command of the English language need not be a barrier to entry.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:54 pm 

Quote:
At least Birmingham are not sweeping the issue under the table as some councils might but in reality it should never have got this far. I ask the question should the public be entitled to communicate with the driver in English, regardless of what vehicle they drive? Obviously many licensing authorities believe command of the English language need not be a barrier to entry.

Regards

JD

=D>

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:56 pm 

TDO wrote:
So did this council "know best" then, or does it just "know best" now? :-k

Or perhaps it's just completely clueless? #-o

That's a question for captain cab, I think the council thought they new best when they first gave this person and probably many others like him, a license.

When the council started getting numerous complaints from passengers not being able to communicate with drivers they realised that the policy of issuing licenses without needing a command of the English language was wrong.

The council then set in place a simple English test, which they now also believe, is inadequate.

That's twice they got it wrong so perhaps they might get it right this time?

As always, according to those who represent the provincial Taxi trade, "councils know best". That's why they have never "really" pushed for quality driver controls on a national basis and probably never will.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:57 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

Regards

JD

=D>

CC

So councils don't know best then. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:59 pm 

Quote:
So councils don't know best then.

so what do you mean by that?

The LA are addressing the issue aint they?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:06 pm 

Quote:
That's a question for captain cab, I think the council thought they new best when they first gave this person and probably many others like him, a license.

When the council started getting numerous complaints from passengers not being able to communicate with drivers they realised that the policy of issuing licenses without needing a command of the English language was wrong.

The council then set in place a simple English test, which they now also believe, is inadequate.

That's twice they got it wrong so perhaps they might get it right this time?

As always, according to those who represent the provincial Taxi trade, "councils know best". That's why they have never "really" pushed for quality driver controls on a national basis and probably never will.

Regards

JD

I think conditions are evolving.

However, its reasonable to suggest a lot of LA's are awaiting best practice guidance, and at the same time worried about being PC.

Councils getting complaints from passengers always seem to result in changes, and I think you know this already.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:

I think conditions are evolving.

I hope so because they need to.

Quote:
However, its reasonable to suggest a lot of LA's are awaiting best practice guidance, and at the same time worried about being PC.

Agree but its bad news when the public have to suffer because of political correctness and where does that leave your theory that councils know best?

Quote:
Councils getting complaints from passengers always seem to result in changes, and I think you know this already.

I'm not so sure we can call them the "winds of change" perhaps more of a mild breeze. When it takes six or seven years to get simple basic quality controls right then something is definately not right.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:31 pm 

About time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:30 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:
So councils don't know best then.

so what do you mean by that?

The LA are addressing the issue aint they?

CC

So how did the manage to get into the situation in the first place? I mean, allowing interpreters :lol:

But my point was that JD was clearly implying that other LAs were deficient as regards this issue, and you applauded this.

Thus you clearly think that some councils don't know best, despite your more general claims to the contrary.

Of course, I hardly needed to point this out, but this councils know best nonsense is merely a piece of empty rhetoric, which means: councils know best when the do what I want them to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:44 pm 

Quote:
So how did the manage to get into the situation in the first place? I mean, allowing interpreters

Errm possibly because in Birmingham there is a high percentage of people that dont have English as a first language and this in line with an LA that may have either as legal department that is trying to be PC.

or perhaps the LA believed bringing in such a test would be frowned upon by elements of the community / voters.

Quote:
But my point was that JD was clearly implying that other LAs were deficient as regards this issue, and you applauded this.

Nope, I appaluded JD's statement stating the issue shouldnt be swept under the carpet.

Quote:
Thus you clearly think that some councils don't know best, despite your more general claims to the contrary.

You seem to be making assumptions about what I am thinking.

Quote:
Of course, I hardly needed to point this out, but this councils know best nonsense is merely a piece of empty rhetoric, which means: councils know best when the do what I want them to.

Of course you did need to point it out, because you wanted to make the statement.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:29 pm 

J D . Do you honestly think that governments know best, or even the DFT , I have found from personal experience that the DFT are not all that they're cracked up to be, it needs the trade associations working together to take forward the issues that need to be implemented, language tests, CRB checks to the same standard, why should it be a different standard for someone from Poland.. in my opinion the best practice guidelines should be formulated by the taxi and private hire trade/ including licensing officers.