It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Knowledge Protest
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:08 pm 

http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news/vi ... ?id=423137

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:21 pm 

Well if he wins then he wont have a job in another 2 years because there'll be loads of jam rolls drivin around!
I understand his point of principal, existing drivers shouldnt have to sit it, but new one's should.

Post subject: Re: Knowledge Protest
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:34 pm 

captain cab wrote:
http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=423137

CC

If your going to have quality control of drivers you have to start somewhere. It would appear that not one person has failed the test so its not a case of this individual not being able to pass it.

His main criticism is this........

He criticised the test for discriminating against those who don't know the area, and speak limited English.

I thought these were two of the main ingredients of Quality driver control?

As a member of the public I want to be able to communicate with my Taxi driver I don't want to feel helpless with not being understood.

I hope this Driver does indeed take the council to court, when he loses it may give other councils the impetus to introduce similar quality controls.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:10 pm 

What's the chances of him winning? 1% at best. :shock:

What he should have done, and what most driver's ass/unions don't do, is to fight these policies before they become policies. :wink:

When they have been put in place, it's too late. :-$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:14 am 

Sussex glad you said MOST,once its in place too late,no not if you have political clout IE 103Mps The philistines say no politics.we say its paramount.The splits and diversity of the trade upto now have created a magnificent situation,im sure we all agree.What is allways clear on here is schnide irrelevant bitching.aimed at the UNIONS by those with most too fear from pro-active UNIONISATION.The exploiters and crooks realise we are their worst dream come true,but were no dream youd better believe it!OUR DAY WILL COME!
ORGANISE EDUCATE AGITATE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:09 pm 

Seems to me the LA are trying to improve standards.

I wonder what the history of complaints about existing drivers in the area getting lost is, and therefore wonder if the decision is reasonable based upon that.

As Sussex says if they're local association (if they have one) is any good, then there could possibly have been an exemption for existing licensees.

As for the statement regarding speaking limited english, well I tend to believe speaking English in this country, in a service industry, is kind of essential.

As for the guff, wtf has 103 MP's got to do with this?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:58 pm 

This is the sort of thing that winds me up. The coucil are trying to maintain standards and he is fighting it. If he is a good driver he will pass the test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:08 pm 

GMB Branch secretary wrote:
Sussex glad you said MOST,once its in place too late,no not if you have political clout IE 103Mps

On a national scale, then maybe sometimes.

On a local scale then once councillors have made their decisions, then it's not an easy job to change them.

You will also get no help from the LOs, as they don't want to answer the question as to why they didn't point out the errors before the policy was put in place.

But I'm not having a pop at the many local association that we have dotted all over, just pointing out what I believe to be one of their major faults. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:35 am 

His claims that he works in Prudhoe bears no relevance ............ his badge entitles him to work throughout Tynedale so he chooses which area of Tynedale he works.

Sussex claims a 1% chance of success, I think that's optimistic .............. this bloke has had two years notice to pass a test which is undoubtedly in the best interest of the public, no court will deem any part of the councils actions as being unfair.

The majority of drivers in this area have sat and passed the test, I know some drivers from that area and they welcomed driver testing, applying within days of the new policies for a test date.

The bottom line here is that the trade needs to be viewed as a profession, and the only way this can be achieved is through properly managed policies for both drivers and vehicles.

B. Lucky :wink:

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:19 pm 

Quote:
His claims that he works in Prudhoe bears no relevance ............ his badge entitles him to work throughout Tynedale so he chooses which area of Tynedale he works.

Sussex claims a 1% chance of success, I think that's optimistic .............. this bloke has had two years notice to pass a test which is undoubtedly in the best interest of the public, no court will deem any part of the councils actions as being unfair.

The majority of drivers in this area have sat and passed the test, I know some drivers from that area and they welcomed driver testing, applying within days of the new policies for a test date.

The bottom line here is that the trade needs to be viewed as a profession, and the only way this can be achieved is through properly managed policies for both drivers and vehicles.

hear hear

CC