Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:17 am 

Old news but its good see Bolton Cab drivers getting on with each other.

September 26, 2005

HEADLINE: Taxi strike threat

UP TO 700 taxi and private hire drivers are threatening to take their cars off the road because of a row with Bolton Council.

Leaders of Bolton Hackney Association (BHA) and the Private Hire Association are demanding talks with town hall bosses over the rising cost of a test certificate.

The two groups also want the council to end its monopoly on the testing of vehicles and allow private companies to carry out the role.

Both have claimed that the authority's only testing station at Wellington Yard is "over zealous" and "inconsistent" in its inspections.

They have set the council a two-week deadline to respond to a letter which has been sent to party leaders and the council's chief executive Bernard Knight.

BHA chairman Charles Oakes said: "If we take industrial action it will be because of the council refusing to sit down and talk with us about something which is very important."

A council committee approved a move to increase the cost of a six-month test certificate from £91 to £99 - a total of £16 per year - and will continue to use Wellington Yard as the sole taxi testing station.

Bolton Taxi Drivers' Association - the body which represents black cab drivers on the council's consultative committee - is backing the council and condemned the strike threat.

Mr Oakes added: "The Bolton Taxi Drivers' Association took the decision without consulting us and we want to get round the table with the council to discuss the changes."

Sajid Khan who represents the Private Hire Association said: "The contract to for testing should go out to tender.

"We will take our vehicles off the road if this is not resolved."

Bolton Taxi Drivers' Association chairman Bill Williams said that despite the higher cost of the test certificate the council had abandoned the requirement for all drivers to have their engine steam cleaned prior to inspection - saving up to £20 per year.

"The threat of strikes does nothing to help our image he said.

We previously had a number of garages who carried out tests but that was stopped because of the different standards to which cars were being tested."

The rise in the cost of a test certificates is to cover the cost of a second bay at Wellington Yard to allow tests to be carried out more quickly.

Cllr Andy Morgan said: "We were asked to do this by the trade and as far as we are concerned the due process is now complete."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:44 am 

I've always thought it's utter madness just to have one testing station.

End the restriction I say. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:46 am 

Sussex wrote:

What are you saying? Lincoln has only one testing station. And a six monthly test, (mine yesterday, first time pass, as always. pppppp) £28:50. £99? phew. bordering on extortion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:17 am 

Our's, just about £300pa (inc 2 test's) Rip off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:26 pm 

Sussex wrote:

I agree.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:53 pm 

I think this protest is about inadequate consultation NOT about cost.

The problem with testing going out to tender is the process is based on cost. Costs of course are irrelevant if they are made to increase or maintain standards.

People need to decide which camp they are in when it comes to standards within our industry.

B. Lucky :wink:

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:03 pm 

JD wrote:
Cllr Andy Morgan said: "We were asked to do this by the trade and as far as we are concerned the due process is now complete."

The councillor said they were asked to do this by the trade? So who in Bolton officialy represents the trade?

I seem to recall this Taxi trade of ours has many organisations who say they represent the trade, both at National and local level. However when the official taxi organisation of Bolton suposedly puts forward a suggestion from its members and on behalf of the Bolton Taxi trade in general then those that are not members and weren't consulted, kick up a stink?

Could it be that these are some of the same people who keep telling us to join an organisation if we want to be represented? It is Obvious there is a lack of communication between the organisations in Bolton but perhaps the moral is to heed the advice of Captain Cab who keeps reminding us if we want to be heard then join the organisation that has the ear of those who sit in the seats of power?

Mr Oakes and Mr Khan no doubt feel ostracised but perhaps they understand how the majority of the Uk taxi trade feels when you get a small group of people acting for no one but themselves.

My reference is an example of exclusion, it is not meant to infer any right or wrong that may have taken place in Bolton.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:15 pm 

Here is another example of the Bolton Taxi trade in turmoil over a fare rise last October. I suppose if you were one of those drivers who thought a fare increase was appropriate then you wouldn't take too kindly to a man in the position of Mr Oakes who's aim it was to stop you obtaining it.

I think there is another discussion taking place in another thread about standards and cost of living, perhaps this article will add to that debate?

October 19, 2005

HEADLINE: Go ahead for rise in taxi fares

THE cost of taxi journeys is to rise despite objections from some cabbies.

Members of Bolton Council's licensing committee unanimously agreed to increases at a meeting on Tuesday. The decision means that tarrifs will rise by up to 7.3 per cent during the day and 11.1 per cent at night.

The moves were proposed by Bolton's largest black cab group the Bolton Taxi Drivers' Association in response to a huge rise in fuel costs.

But the chairman of the rival Bolton Hackney Association Charles Oakes objected to the move claiming it would hit trade and was not supported by taxi drivers. After the meeting - held to consider the objections - he vowed to challenge the decision in the magistrates courts.

Mr Oakes said: "I am furious. This is going to cost members of the public serious money."

The only concession made by councillors to Mr Oakes' objections was to block plans to introduce double time fares an hour earlier than usual on Christmas Eve at 7pm.

A date is yet to be set for the increase which will see the cost of a two mile journey rise from £4 to £4.40 in the daytime and from £4.40 to £5 after 10pm at weekends. The amount passengers are charged for waiting and sitting stationary in traffic will also rise by 16.7 per cent to 10p for every 25 seconds.

The changes will not affect private hire companies which are allowed to set their own fares. Taxi drivers were granted permission to add an optional 10p surcharge on fares earlier this year when the price of fuel rose above 90p a litre - but it is believed that the practice is not widely used.

The last increase in 2004 saw tariffs rise by up to 3.7 per cent.