Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:30 pm 

Milton Keynes Citizen

October 30, 2006

HEADLINE: Taxi marshalls help revellers home safely

A PAIR of taxi marshalls have been taken to supervise queuing for cabs on a busy nights in the city centre.

The marshalls will be working at the taxi rank outside Xscape on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights between 11pm to 4am for three months beginning on November 9.

Daniel Mullins, Milton Keynes Council's taxi enforcement officer said: "The marshalls will help ensure increased safety for late-night revellers and the drivers who take them home.

"Their objectives will in the main be to deal with Hackney Carriages and the taxi ranks but to also prevent illegal activity by private hire vehicles which has happened in the past."

Do you think the taxi marshalls will make a difference in the city centre on busy nights? Click here to give us your views.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:47 pm 

I think this is an exeptionally good idea and am very keen to get Gateshead Council to work with Northumbria Police in providing Marshalls for our busy rank.

B. Lucky :D

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:32 pm 

Quote:
I think this is an exeptionally good idea and am very keen to get Gateshead Council to work with Northumbria Police in providing Marshalls for our busy rank.

The taxi trade pay for the marshals in Manchester (well the nightshift via increased rentals).

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:43 pm 

In Croydon there are marshalls for PHV who dont rank but wait round the corner.All perfectly legit by the PCO.
Our Day Will Come!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:38 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

The taxi trade pay for the marshals in Manchester (well the nightshift via increased rentals).

CC

"Every owner" pays for the Marshals, not night shift drivers.

Thats what you get when you have local organisatiosn that are chit scared of rocking the boat in fear the council removes quantity controls.

Those are the facts.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:41 pm 

The rumour here was that by agreeing to it they were issued a plate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:08 pm 

Quote:

Thats what you get when you have local organisatiosn that are chit scared of rocking the boat in fear the council removes quantity controls.

Those are the facts.

Regards

JD

But the night time rate was increased by 8.3% and night time rentals went up anyway?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:52 am 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

Those are the facts.

Regards

JD

But the night time rate was increased by 8.3% and night time rentals went up anyway?

CC

Cab rent is up to each individual owner as you well know and not all of us put up rents just because there happens to be an increase.

Introducing regular Marshals put a 70% increase on our annual vehicle license. We didn't get a 70% increase in fares. If it was down to me the council wouldn't have got a penny but as per usual the fear of removing numbers and with it the 50 grand plate value was enough to bow the will of those who represent us.

It could only have happen in a restricted authority.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:55 am 

GMB Branch secretary wrote:
In Croydon there are marshalls for PHV who dont rank but wait round the corner.All perfectly legit by the PCO.
Our Day Will Come!!!!!

'Good evening madam, which type of sex offender would you like to be driven home by tonight'?

(punter) 'Oh, do you have any unchecked drivers from the former war torn state of Bosnia where genocide was common place and all their records were convienientaly destroyed'?

'No I'm afraid not, but we've some unchecked men fresh from Eritria, and you can be rest assured with their corrupt Eritrian Police force, their tendancy to attack people with machetes, i'm sure their checks are all in order, a few possible rapists, murderers but nothing to worry about'

(punter) 'Does any of them speak english?'

'Oh no, thats not neccessary, besides, you would be aware of all the sexual suggestions that he will be making to you whilst drooling over you in the rear view mirror'

(punter) 'Where's the real Taxi's which are driven by real London taxi drivers rank please?'
'I think i'll give the wanabee's a miss'.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:19 am 

GBC wrote:
'Good evening madam, which type of sex offender would you like to be driven home by tonight'?

Oh dear, it looks like panic stations are setting in. :?

How many sex offenders do you think the PCO has licensed once such an offence is flagged up on their CRB checks? I suspect none. :-$

So the problem isn't that customers are being marshalled into fully licensed London PH vehicles, the problem is that some customers are finding their way into bogus taxis. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:09 pm 

Sussex wrote:
GBC wrote:

How many sex offenders do you think the PCO has licensed once such an offence is flagged up on their CRB checks? I suspect none. :-$

So the problem isn't that customers are being marshalled into fully licensed London PH vehicles, the problem is that some customers are finding their way into bogus taxis. :wink:

Is Eastbourne some kind of cocoon Sussex ..................... are you not aware of the corruption in some eastern European countries ............ are you not aware that some of these drivers do not have the same CRB check that you and I have .............. are you not aware that they need a certificate of good conduct from the embassy of their country of origin ............ are you not aware that in some very serious crimes are deleted after a short period of time.

Drivers from EU states cannot be checked by our CRB ........... we need to make sure these people are fit and proper and the current acceptance of a certificate of good conduct is a practice we need to change.

B. Lucky :?

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:01 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Yes, Countries like Ghana, Bosnia, Serbia, Angola, Mosambique, Libya, Senegal are all well known for their model criminal justice systems, non corrupt 'police depts' and Judges who are shot dead if the right verdict is'nt delivered? :lol:

Waken up Sussex!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:27 pm 

Like these nice people, contributing to our wonderful multi-culturism.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6111442.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:09 pm 

GA wrote:
Sussex wrote:
GBC wrote:

Is Eastbourne some kind of cocoon Sussex ..................... are you not aware of the corruption in some eastern European countries ............ are you not aware that some of these drivers do not have the same CRB check that you and I have .............. are you not aware that they need a certificate of good conduct from the embassy of their country of origin ............ are you not aware that in some very serious crimes are deleted after a short period of time.

Drivers from EU states cannot be checked by our CRB ........... we need to make sure these people are fit and proper and the current acceptance of a certificate of good conduct is a practice we need to change.

B. Lucky :?

Well from myow experience I would much rather have a Polish certificate of good conduct than a CRB check.

Far quicker, more informative and a proper stamped document.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:37 pm 

I'll give you the 'far quicker' bit Mr Thumb.

Taking Poland out of the equation (being a pretty modern society), how does one trust any form of 'good conduct' certificate from the rest of the third world countries that are mentioned?

Moving on from that, the bigger question is, why are we having to recruit people from these countries, the London taxi trade has no shortage of home grown labour?

Well apart from the odd Jock or two . . . . :oops: