Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: All for £1.50p
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:03 pm 

Overcharge taxi driver may lose his licence

A BURY taxi driver has been fined for overcharging and faces the prospect of losing his licence.

Shanawaz Raja (41) of Heywood Street, Bury, was fined £300 and ordered to pay £300 costs and £1.50 compensation after being convicted by Bury magistrates.

Raja charged a passenger £6.90 for the 2.3-mile journey, when the fare should have been between £5.20 and £5.40. During a trial, Raja gave the bench differing accounts of the route he took and claimed not to have looked at his meter or counted the money he was given for the journey.

His taxi driver's licence was suspended by Bury Council during the court proceedings, despite his appeals to the magistrates' court and to the crown court which approved the council's actions.

The court heard that Raja is still paying the costs of those failed appeals, and told him that the fines imposed for overcharging must be paid in addition to the payments he is making towards those costs.

Raja will now face a hearing before Bury Council's licensing and safety panel to determine whether he is a fit and proper person to hold a Hackney Carriage Driver's Licence.

Post subject: Re: All for £1.50p
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:05 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Overcharge taxi driver may lose his licence

A BURY taxi driver has been fined for overcharging and faces the prospect of losing his licence.

Bury have meters so either the driver took the passenger on a route that prolonged the journey or he charged the passenger a fare off the meter or he asked for more than what was showing on the meter. If he charged the passenger what was on the meter but took a long way round then the offence shouldn't have been overcharging because he has only charged what was on the meter. He should have been charged under section 69.

69 Prolongation of journeys (1) No person being the driver of a hackney carriage or of a private hire vehicle licensed by a district council shall without reasonable cause unnecessarily prolong, in distance or in time, the journey for which the hackney carriage or private hire vehicle has been hired.

If he blatently charged other than what was on the meter then he deserves all he gets.

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:41 pm 

JD wrote:
If he blatently charged other than what was on the meter then he deserves all he gets.

Or put it on early. :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:47 pm 

Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

Or put it on early. :?

Yes some people dont always check whats on the meter but normally hires under those circumstances only come about from pre booked jobs and not ones that are flagged down in the street or hired from a rank.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:57 pm 

£1.50p?

Waiting time around here is in the region of 25p every 2 minutes, I wonder if?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:47 pm 

It should be remembered that this driver can appeal to the crown court and I assume thats what he will do. Unless of course he actually did overcharge the person under circumstances that are illegal?

I'll get to the bottom of it Before Monday night.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:50 pm 

Quote:
It should be remembered that this driver can appeal to the crown court and I assume thats what he will do. Unless of course he actually did overcharge the person under circumstances that are illegal?

Regards

JD

I think to be honest there must be something else here, maybe there's a history of complaints?

regards

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:12 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

Regards

JD

I think to be honest there must be something else here, maybe there's a history of complaints?

regards

CC

I agree there must be more to this and we are fishing around in the dark trying to come up with both the question and the answer? If I venture into Bury this evening I'll see if anyone knows the facts.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:16 pm 

JD wrote:

If you don't mind. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:31 pm 

Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

If you don't mind. :wink:

lol I'll do my best.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:35 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
I don't believe it, there has to be more

£1.50 overcharged, who's accussing who, what proof is there, can't just be one person they believe [the punter]

we have all done these jobs when the punter knows the exact fare, but some forget [with drink] when they have got say another with them and the journey is deviated to drop them off, when you get to the end of the journey thay say chuffing heck I only usually pay so and so, how come its more

do I have to explain and your trying to make me look like a [edited by admin]

not only that the punter knows best, I wanner go this way

A few years ago I picked up this family, wanted to go to an hotel [they didn't live here] as I moved off the rank,[I could only turn left to get off the rank], the bloke next to me accussed me of going the long way round, he said to me yes your going the long way round,

he said your ripping us off, hey only gone 5 yards off the rank, so I booted em out, they took my number to report me

they got into another cab, the cab sat for 5 minutes, then went

when I caught up the driver of the cab he told me this, they wanted to have the cab driver go through the foot streets where cabs aren't allowed

the driver told the passengers, hey that guy the driver whom you got into his cab was right in taking you the way he went, they sent an appoggy via the driver to me, but he got a 2 quid tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:29 pm 
On the few occasions a customer has told me, "you're going the wrong way", this is tantamount to an emergency stop. If the destination is confirmed as I understood it, and this is an attitude problem rather than a genuine complaint, then this punter is walking.

It's much better to deal with it in this way than have to get to the end of the trip only to be met with a refusal to pay by a belligerent punter and all that comes of that. We can't win these situations. The authorities will always take the side of the customer, whether there is corroboration or not, and they will deal with you in the most draconian way they choose.

I can't help but think there's more to this case than meets the eye. I'd be interested to know what defence was put up and why it failed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:41 pm 

Maybe he just accidentally put his meter on to tariff 2 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:30 pm 

MR T wrote:
Maybe he just accidentally put his meter on to tariff 2 :wink:

Yes, I call that excuse "fingerslip" a chronic disease, in some cases. :roll:

Post subject: all for £1.50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:44 pm 

So for £1.50 this guy could lose his livlihood,why not hang draw and quarter him??? Is this overkill or not??Wonder if he wasnt asian hed get the same treatment??effing outrageous surely the punishment must match the crime,given that hes guilty. i bet he wasnt represented.How many BNP councillors on the Council???So much for BRITISH JUSTICE!
ORGANISE EDUCATE AGITATE!!!