Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:02 pm 

I thought this was worth a mention just for the revelation that cabs in Weston used to be known as wheelchairs.

Bristol Evening Post

November 11, 2003

HEADLINE: Victorian 'Taxi Rank' Found By Builders

Workmen demolishing one of Weston-super-Mare's oldest shops have uncovered a hidden building more than 100 years old. Meakins in Baker Street is being flattened to make way for a new development of flats.

But the former secondhand furniture shop, which closed in June because of a decline in trade, hid a small coach house which is believed to have once been used as a Victorian taxi rank.

Weston historian Brian Austin believed the building was used by horse drawn taxi drivers waiting to transport holidaymakers around the resort.

In the late 19th century Weston-super-Mare became a popular holiday destination with improved transport links from inland.

Mr Austin said: "It's just so unusual, I want to try and find out more about it. "It's lovely architecture. I would say it is probably 1870s. "There's not much untouched stuff around in Weston-super-Mare. "From the size of the archway I suspect it may have stored little coaches that they once called wheelchairs. "In Victorian times the horse-drawn taxis were known as wheelchairs. "Weston had about 25 or 30 licensed wheelchair-men who would take people around the resort." Meakins' shop was established in 1853 but instead of celebrating its 150th anniversary it shut its doors in June.

Local history enthusiasts have just days to catch a glimpse of the building as the rest of the site is due to be demolished this week.

Planning permission has been granted for nine flats and off street parking to Raglan Housing Association. Meakins' former owner Mary Keohane, who bought the shop in 1990 and sold it in June, said she never knew the building's origin.

She said: "I thought it was the remains of two old cottages that people once lived in. "The shop itself was in the courtyard at the front, which I know was once used for keeping horses. "It was a great shame for me to sell that shop. The town centre is dying and with it the history of the town.

"Baker Street used to be a really busy road, with a lot going on. "Once the post office closed people stopped coming. Otherwise I would still be there."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:16 pm 

Was there a cab waiting at the front of the rank still, who had refused to pull of empty because they were front cab? :lol: :lol: :wink: