Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:14 am 

You need to fight that GA, I drive a 99 omega which is mint, under thier proposals it would be to old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:16 am 

GA wrote:
Proposals in Gateshead are -

All HC to be no more than 2 years old when first licensed.
All PH to be no more than 3 years old when first licensed.

All licensed vehicles to lose licence when 5 years old unless they are in exeptional condition.

Currently all vehicles are tested in the councils testing station twice per year.

Consultation continues.

B. Lucky :P
This proposal is number 1 in a 36 point presentation to "Cabinet" in relation to a "Review of Policy on Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles". I wonder how many drivers could afford to do the job if they were forced to present such vehicles for licensing and then effectively write them off financially 2 or 3 years later. As if that would not cause enough financial hardship, proposal number 2 is that the front and rear bumpers on all Hackney Carriages be painted bright yellow. Presumably the council would wish to pay for this :lol: :lol: :lol: and also for the restoration of the original colour when the vehicle was condemned to death at 5 years old and the hapless owner was trying to sell it. In all fairness, Gateshead Council have issued a copy of the 36 proposals to every licensed HC/ PH driver and a questionnaire inviting our comments. Just off to sharpen my quill. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:17 am 

Seems a tad extreme, but I would much rather have quality standards then quantity restrictions.

Unlike some. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 am 

volvoman wrote:
This proposal is number 1 in a 36 point presentation to "Cabinet" in relation to a "Review of Policy on Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles". I wonder how many drivers could afford to do the job if they were forced to present such vehicles for licensing and then effectively write them off financially 2 or 3 years later. As if that would not cause enough financial hardship, proposal number 2 is that the front and rear bumpers on all Hackney Carriages be painted bright yellow. Presumably the council would wish to pay for this :lol: :lol: :lol: and also for the restoration of the original colour when the vehicle was condemned to death at 5 years old and the hapless owner was trying to sell it. In all fairness, Gateshead Council have issued a copy of the 36 proposals to every licensed HC/ PH driver and a questionnaire inviting our comments. Just off to sharpen my quill. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Item 1 is THE only item to which we have an contention.

Item 2 (the yellow bumpers) is a compromise from the authority following a rejection from the trade to have the whole vehicle painted yellow (I'm sure you can remember the yellow Lexus at Deans that looked horrific). Other councils demand colour policies and the painting of the bumpers doesn't devalue the cars in the way that a full paint job or bonnet and boot would. The HC trade in Gateshead accept the reasoning behind the single colour policy and will accept this policy providing the date of implementation allows them sufficient time to undertake the work.

Other items of interest are -

Light transparency of windows.
Calendar Controlled Meters (to be sealed by the council).
Inclusion of National Insurance number on application/renewal forms.
GCSE English or Basic English Certificate Level 3 for new applicants.
Inclusion of engine and chassis number on vehicle application.

In my opinion, something like Carlisles "age limit" seems a more workable option for HC ............... but for PH I don't believe that a age limit needs to be set (although most offices already have one EVEN THOUGH SOME GET AROUND IT BY PUTTING PRIVATE NUMBER PLATES ON THEIR CARS).

I can't say what the response will be from the trade, but I know Volvoman to be a driver who keeps an exlempary vehicle at all times, indeed didn't the Grey Volvo cover in excess of 700,000 miles + on the same engine and gearbox, and wouldn't it had probably passed at least one more test should you not have been subjected to a PH operators maximum age policy.

Iam in favour of a maximum age upon grant of new licence and will question the proposals ONLY on the basis of the age of a vehicle deciding when it is not fit for public service.

B. Lucky :D

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:29 am 

Sussex wrote:
Seems a tad extreme, but I would much rather have quality standards then quantity restrictions.

Unlike some. :?

I think some would like to see Taxi and Private Hire Licensing being properly managed.

It is questionable to expect quality if any quantity of vehicles is allowed.

Remember, although Gateshead have allowed people plates upon demand a WAV needed to be provided to qualify ............ the number of saloon plates has remained restricted.

It is my opinion that we have the right number of HC vehicles but to few PH ............... it is surely prudent of the council to address the PH shortage and encourage new applicants to licence PH.

B. Lucky :D

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:37 am 

Gateshead is also proposing a "Taxi College" to provide proper training for all new applicants, the course will be ran by Gateshead College and WILL include the infamous DSA driving course.

Grandfather rights seem to be afforded to all current HC & PH drivers, however the Regulatory Committee will retain the right to order an existing driver to take the test (at their own expense) should a driver appear before them because of a complaint about their driving or if their licence is endorsed with 6 or more points.

B. Lucky :P

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:24 pm 

As I said, quality is the way forward.

Quantity restrictions are the way back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:13 pm 

GA wrote
Quote:
GCSE English or Basic English Certificate Level 3 for new applicants.

About time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:47 pm 

I understand Blackpools policy is to only license vehicles that are 6 years old, or older?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:26 am 

Quote:
About time.

Thats for the locals though :lol:

CC