Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:27 pm 

Cabbies' Knowledge 'makes grade'
The black cab drivers' famed Knowledge test has been endorsed by the UK's leading vocational examination board.
It has received official accreditation by City & Guilds, which said the exam met "recognised quality standards".

Chris Humphries, City & Guilds director general, said the Knowledge was "a sound training and examining system".

The Knowledge, introduced in 1865, involves remembering every street within six miles of Charing Cross and takes up to three years to attain.

Independent assessment

To achieve the accreditation, the Public Carriage Office's in-house examination system was inspected by vocational training experts.

Mr Humphries said the seal of approval will give passengers peace of mind to know the system has been independently assessed.

"It is also a great way of professionalising one of the country's oldest occupations," he said.

Bob Oddy, Licensed Taxi Drivers' Association general secretary, said he was always confident the Knowledge would stand up to scrutiny.

"Black cab drivers study for up to three years to attain the Knowledge, so we know how rigorous it is," he said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 173930.stm

Published: 2006/11/22 16:14:56 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:51 pm 

FFS dont tell GBC

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:16 pm 

The best, and now its official. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:32 pm 

GBC wrote:
The best, and now its official. :wink:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:10 pm 

So where do I get my C of G certificate to hang next to my other one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:38 pm 

I should hope it does comply - hopelessly overqualified for the job. Three years knowledge is just too long. Time frame perpetuates the closed shop principle. But then again you all new that :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:06 pm 

blobby wrote:
Three years knowledge is just too long.

Indeed, but if the black cab radio circuits have anything to do with it, it wont be three years for much longer.

12 months at most. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:18 pm 

blobby wrote:
I should hope it does comply - hopelessly overqualified for the job. Three years knowledge is just too long. Time frame perpetuates the closed shop principle. But then again you all new that :lol:

Rather over than under.

As you know Blobby, theres no closed shop with the Taxi trade, anyone can apply to do the Knowledge, its just many can't cut it, but that's why the London Minicab industry was formed, to take the dim wits who can't complete the course. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:51 pm 

They are operated by incredibly cheerful, yet strange looking men (and very, very occasionally, strange looking women) who tell you, by way of introduction, that the 'rahd's gawn mayd'1 today. They speak in a mixture of clichés and a dialect called Cockney Rhyming Slang and deliver gems from what they call 'The Knowledge'. This usually involves reactionary commentary on current news events mixed with some very colourful abuse hurled at motorists and pedestrians alike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:54 pm 
GBC I didnt read anywhere that it said the best....??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:56 pm 
and the best, compared to what and where for instance...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:59 pm 

tm wrote:
and the best, compared to what and where for instance...?

Compared to the pedicab bikes. :shock:

But only just. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:51 pm 

Regulating the Trade

In 1636 Charles I made a proclamation to enable 50 hackney carriages to ply for hire in London. It was left up to the aldermen to make sure this number was not exceeded.

After the Civil War, in 1654 Oliver Cromwell set up the Fellowship of Master Hackney Carriages by Act of Parliament, and taxi driving became a profession. 200 hackneys were now allowed.

The Act was replaced in 1662 under Charles II by a new act, which required the hackney coaches to be licensed, and restricted their number to 400.

In 1688 the number was increased to 600, and then again six years later by an Act of Parliament to 700.

In 1711, 800 licenses were issued, and then another 200.

In 1833 the trade became unregulated, and there was no longer a restriction on the amount of taxis. The only limit was that the driver and vehicle be 'fit and proper', a condition that still applies today.

This makes the licensed taxi trade the oldest regulated public transport system in the world, and it is the people in the trade that have demanded it this way. The rivalry between licensed and unlicensed hire vehicles has been around as long as the taxi trade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:15 pm 
good point about the pedicabs but i can think of someone on here that would like to see GBC with a saddlle placed up against his anus seat last shaft 1st.
and the the thought would be reciprocated no doubt...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:28 am 

tm wrote:
good point about the pedicabs but i can think of someone on here that would like to see GBC with a saddlle placed up against his anus seat last shaft 1st.
and the the thought would be reciprocated no doubt...

Its a well known fact Terry's a single man.

Far be it for me to dictate or cast scorn on where or what he seeks pleasure with.

Hows your Taxi trade then Mr TM? :wink: