Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:57 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Tories and labour wiped out in Scotland and SNP romp home based on the results in so far

For all the protestations on here it seems the wicked witch has Scotland bewitched indyref 2 will also be a resounding victory and Scotland will be a separate country within 3 years I suspect

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:56 am 

edders23 wrote:
Tories and labour wiped out in Scotland and SNP romp home based on the results in so far

For all the protestations on here it seems the wicked witch has Scotland bewitched indyref 2 will also be a resounding victory and Scotland will be a separate country within 3 years I suspect

I suspect suspicious overuse of the word suspect. But I suspect it ain’t over until the fat lady sings.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:52 am 

edders23 wrote:
Scotland will be a separate country within 3 years I suspect

She suggested that she would not try for a referendum until all the covid stuff was done and dusted, She said about 2 1/2 years. Now on the grounds that it took us about 4 1/2 years from the referendum to actually leave the EU and the details are still being fought over, I think 3 years would be a tad optimistic.
Much as I don't want to see Scotland go their own way, I am fed up of hearing her voice. So I would gladly let them go and I would volunteer to come up to the border and help dig the ditch to keep them on their side of the border. I can't think of anything that I would miss that comes from Scotland if they go.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 am 

She'll claim a mandate, no doubt, despite actually saying the election wouldn't be a mandate.

And you have to look hard for the referendum mandate here - this was the main leaflet send to every home in Scotland:

So she tried to ignore or downplay the independence question to entice people to vote for her, now she'll claim it's a mandate. No change there, then.

It's like in 2014 when Salmond and Sturgeon repeatedly said the referendum was a once in a generation/once in a lifetime event, trying to make people vote Yes.

Then they lost, but five minutes later were bleating about Indyref2.

But she doesn't really want a referendum at this time anyway, but she knows Boris will say no, so it's just another opportunity to stir things up :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:56 am 

Quote:
Much as I don't want to see Scotland go their own way, I am fed up of hearing her voice.

Correct. That's her idea.

She's part trying to get Scots to vote Yes, partly trying to antagonise people like yourself and increase the divide between the English and the Scots.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:37 am 

She might pretend she has a mandate for indy but a referendum is not in her gift to give, it's only the government of our United Kingdom that can offer the Scottish people an Indy vote and they did just that less than seven years ago, besides, regardless of how many seats the SNP may win there will always be the problem for sturgeon that more Scots voters voted for the various Pro Union parties than voted for her SNP....she would most likely be defeated in any indy vote and she knows that full well, its because she has nothing else to offer politically that she bangs on about indy all of the time.

The SNP are a popular but empty vessel.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:49 am 

There is also something disturbingly wrong in the Scottish electoral system that creates a scenario where a party such as the pro indy Scottish Greens who have not won a single constituency seat are then given up to 6 regional list seats because of their vote share and then go on to become the major decision makers in the Scottish parliament through having the final vote courtesy of having won nothing.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:04 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Quote:
Much as I don't want to see Scotland go their own way, I am fed up of hearing her voice.

Correct. That's her idea.

She's part trying to get Scots to vote Yes, partly trying to antagonise people like yourself and increase the divide between the English and the Scots.

She might succeed in the former but despite what Grandad alludes too, she will never succeed in the later. [-X

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:10 pm 

If however we say that she gets has her vote and a new referendum happens, and we say that Boris says yes, there is no chance the Scottish people will vote to leave once the questions of what happens next are thrashed out.

Now some people might say that's what the UK remainers said pre the EU vote, but let's see the SNP try and give sensible coherent answers to the Euro issue, the pound issue, the border issue, the UK debt issue and every other issue that will arise.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:42 pm 

The whole lot is a mess, you are asking for trouble operating 2 voting systems running alongside each other, 1st past the post and proportional representation, the 2 do not mix.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:21 am 

grandad wrote:
So I would gladly let them go and I would volunteer to come up to the border and help dig the ditch to keep them on their side of the border.

A chap called Trump has some property in Scotland, Golf Course springs to mind. His preference tends to be a wall. A while back another chap, name of Hadrian built one for the same purpose. Bits of it are still there, so perhaps get Trump to repair the Hadrian Wall.

No need for ditches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:36 am 

heathcote wrote:
The whole lot is a mess, you are asking for trouble operating 2 voting systems running alongside each other, 1st past the post and proportional representation, the 2 do not mix.

Fair point, but if it had been FPTP only, SNP would have got 62 of 73 seats on 47.7% of the vote.

And recall that in 2015, the SNP got 56 out of 59 the Scottish MPs in the Westminster vote, on around half the vote. Imagine results like that for the whole UK at Westminster :-o

So it's either the current part FPTP/part PR, or the SNP effectively cop the lot if it's full FPTP, or it's wholesale change to a full PR system. But for obvious reasons it's not going to be fundamentally changed any time soon.

Of course, no doubt the SNP are popular, but FPTP gives them far more seats than their level of popularity merits, because there's basically three opposition unionist parties, and that splits the opposition vote. So to that degree the seats won on a more proportional basis evens things up a bit.

In fact the mixed voting system was designed to stop any one party getting an overall majority, and they thought our politics would be more consensual as a result :lol:

Obviously it didn't quite work out as intended, but the system has stopped the SNP getting the vast majority of the seats on a minority of the votes.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:12 am 

What will she do now then? No majority after all and just one extra seat?
Can I put my spade away for a while?

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:15 am 

Think she came across rather clueless on Andrew Marr this morning.

By all accounts she hasn’t been considering the referendum this year. :---)

And she is saying that the UK government wouldn’t dare take her to court over that issue.

Well my dear the UK government have no need to because it is her that would be breaking the law, and thankfully there are millions of Scots who would be quite happy to take her to court instead of Boris.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:57 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Think she came across rather clueless on Andrew Marr this morning.

By all accounts she hasn’t been considering the referendum this year. :---)

And she is saying that the UK government wouldn’t dare take her to court over that issue.

Well my dear the UK government have no need to because it is her that would be breaking the law, and thankfully there are millions of Scots who would be quite happy to take her to court instead of Boris.

I think that was what Michael Gove was alluding to. How does one more seat equate to a "landslide"? both Andrew Marr and Sturgeon both said it was a landslide. Yes more people voted SNP than last time but more people also voted Conservative than last time. In fact there were a lot more people overall in Scotland that voted than last time.
Selective statistics I think.