Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Local elections
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:26 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
So here we go again we are supposed to go to the polls on Thursday but surprise surprise other than a leaflet through the door we haven't seen sight nor sound of any of the candidates. One independent candidate here has put out a you tube video but absolutely no opportunity to find out anything about issues which I am bothered about

I am not to keen on him as he seems to support ratepayer funded buses to compete with the local taxis on the most profitable services (trips to and from Peterborough hospital)

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject: Re: Local elections
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:59 pm 

Maybe you should read up on the protocol for canvasing during the pandemic. just to make it simple for you door to door canvassing was banned so as to avoid un necessary contact. candidates could do leaflet drops but not knock on doors.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:20 pm 

grandad wrote:
Maybe you should read up on the protocol for canvasing during the pandemic. just to make it simple for you door to door canvassing was banned so as to avoid un necessary contact. candidates could do leaflet drops but not knock on doors.

it makes no difference I have never seen anyone door knocking locally in over 30 years

Nor do they seem to be attempting to make themselves available in other ways only 1 candidate has a twitter account that I can see the others are fakebook only

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:27 pm 

Quote:
it makes no difference I have never seen anyone door knocking locally in over 30 years

Same here, and I couldn't be more happy if it remains the same for the next 30 years.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:47 am 

got to the polling station to find there were 2 elections 1 for police and crime commissioner as well as county council

Not seen or heard any info on police & Crime so basically voting in the dark no idea who any of the candidates were or their priorities

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:45 pm 

We only had one vote down here and that was for the Police Commissioner.

It will be a million years until a Tory isn’t voted in for that position in Sussex.

Thus I could safely carry on working instead.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:50 am 

so the tories lost seats in Lincolnshire mostly at our end of the county to independents but it won't make a jot of difference we'll still get stitched up

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:58 am 

edders23 wrote:
so the tories lost seats in Lincolnshire mostly at our end of the county to independents but it won't make a jot of difference we'll still get stitched up

I suspect sour grapes. Pity me, I live in a City with a Labour council.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:57 pm 

If anything sums up the stupidity of the Labour Party, and the utter contempt they have for voters, it's their decision to have a candidate in the Hartlepool by-election, an area that voted 70% to leave the EU, who was not only a remain voter but actively campaigned for a second referendum.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:41 pm 

Sussex wrote:
If anything sums up the stupidity of the Labour Party, and the utter contempt they have for voters, it's their decision to have a candidate in the Hartlepool by-election, an area that voted 70% to leave the EU, who was not only a remain voter but actively campaigned for a second referendum.

I suppose they had heard that they hung a french monkey 200 years ago, and assumed they were all thick working class voters who knew their place, and would therefore vote for a monkey. They didn’t.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:19 am 

I think Labour completely lost focus at a national level with the likes of Starmer obsessed with trying to get his sleaze allegations to be their key point instead of concentrating on the issues that mattered to the public. When is he going to realise that people want to here what his party will do rather than what other parties are not doing. Well from my point of view I hope he keeps up the good work :D .

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:07 pm 

Whilst watching the news this morning a report was read that Labour had sacked Angela Rayner but I swear that the picture that was on the screen behind the reporter was actually Clair Raynor. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:58 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Agree, does not matter which political party is in control they all s*** on our trade whether it is TAXI or private hire, just look at the grant system everyone should have been treat the same but there are thousands of persons in our trade who have not been treat equally.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:20 pm 

heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Agree, does not matter which political party is in control they all s*** on our trade whether it is TAXI or private hire, just look at the grant system everyone should have been treat the same but there are thousands of persons in our trade who have not been treat equally.

We are always last in the queue for everything we even have no council office people have to travel 22 miles just to go to the council offices now :sad:

waste tip a 15 mile drive IF you can get an appointment

half the towns children have to travel outside the county to go to 6th form and a quarter for secondary school; sports facilities are mostly only available at private facilities

There's naff all here and yet it has twice been voted the number one town in the UK to live :roll: