Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:15 pm 

This message came via info@taxi-driver.co.uk.

Looks like the chap needs help.

Alex

Hi

I am a taxi proprietor in St Austell (Restormal borough council). On the 5/11/10 the licensing committee are meeting to decide the fate of the current restrictions placed on taxi limits in our borough. I am a committee member of the St Austell & Newquay taxi association and I have been given the opportunity to speak at this meeting. We have been fighting this for as long as I have been a taxi driver (5 years). I have heard that some of the previously restricted areas have now decided to put the restrictions back in place. I understand that Torquay is one of these areas and there are some others that have done the same.

I would be very grateful for any information you can give me.

Kind Regards

Paul Smithson

A2B Taxis (St Austell)
6 Brockstone Road
St Austell
Cornwall
PL25 3DW

Tel: 01726 66600
Email: paul_smithson32@hotmail.com
Web: www.staustelltaxis.com

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:26 pm 

Councils that have re-restricted include, Birmingham, Liverpool, Sheffield, Cardiff, Derbyshire Dales, Reading, Southend and Bracknell who have since re-delimited. :roll: :roll:

However I would be interested how you think you will be able to deal with the Equalities Act, as you only have 11 WAVs out of 74. So if the govs % is 50%, your council will have no other option than to issue up to 60 extra plates. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:42 am 

Sussex wrote:
Councils that have re-restricted include, Birmingham, Liverpool, Sheffield, Cardiff, Derbyshire Dales, Reading, Southend and Bracknell who have since re-delimited. :roll: :roll:

However I would be interested how you think you will be able to deal with the Equalities Act, as you only have 11 WAVs out of 74. So if the govs % is 50%, your council will have no other option than to issue up to 60 extra plates. :shock:

Birmingham have re-restricted & have since de-limited?

I wonder if Birmingham City Council Licensing Committee know about this alleged brand new policy, since they only took the decision to continue with the moratorium on issuing HC Licences for another 3 years at their September meeting?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:57 am 

Alex wrote:
This message came via info@taxi-driver.co.uk.

Looks like the chap needs help.

Alex

Hi

I am a taxi proprietor in St Austell (Restormal borough council). On the 5/11/10 the licensing committee are meeting to decide the fate of the current restrictions placed on taxi limits in our borough. I am a committee member of the St Austell & Newquay taxi association and I have been given the opportunity to speak at this meeting. We have been fighting this for as long as I have been a taxi driver (5 years). I have heard that some of the previously restricted areas have now decided to put the restrictions back in place. I understand that Torquay is one of these areas and there are some others that have done the same.

I would be very grateful for any information you can give me.

Kind Regards

Paul Smithson

A2B Taxis (St Austell)
6 Brockstone Road
St Austell
Cornwall
PL25 3DW

Tel: 01726 66600
Email: paul_smithson32@hotmail.com
Web: www.staustelltaxis.com

He should thoroughly read through this thread first;

http://taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14015

And make sure he & Restormel Council realise the implications.

The nightmare scenario is;

Issue new HC Licences in November to saloon vehicles, double the fleet & then have to comply with the proportions set by the Minister a few months later on a vastly increased fleet.

It could increase today's fleet six-, eight-, or even ten-fold!!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:11 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:

So where are you now?

Taxi quotas or de-limited? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:28 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

So where are you now?

Taxi quotas or de-limited? :?

Neither.

The decision of the Licensing Committee in September was to continue with the moratorium on the issue of HCVLs.

No more HC plates will be issued for the next 3 years & the situation will then again be assessed following a new SUD survey.

There is MASSIVE over supply of Hackney Carriages & Private Hire Vehicles.

And I really do mean MASSIVE.

In the last 3 years;

299 fewer PHVs were licensed in 2010 than in 2007.
55 fewer HCVs were licensed in 2010 than in 2007.

The illegal plying for hire is at epidemic proportions.

And that's not only by Birmingham licensed vehicles, but by vehicles from adjacent licensing authorities, both PH & HC.

If you want to see the real effects of mass de-restriction, then come to Brum & have a walk or drive around on weekend nights.

If you made a film of it, the British Board of Film Classification would rate it a 25.

Enforcing the situation would require about 200 full time night enforcement officers.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:57 pm 

account activated!

Thank you all very much for the huge amount of information i have already recieved. replys on here, emails and phone calls!

I have only been given 3 minutes to speak at this meeting so i have been advised to write a letter to each of the 12 licensing commitee members explaining the current WAV situation and the concequences of de-limiting.

After i have absorbed all of the information i have recieved i will post the letter on here for constructive critisism.

Thanks Again everyone, speak very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:04 pm 

StAustell TaxiDriver wrote:
I have only been given 3 minutes to speak at this meeting so i have been advised to write a letter to each of the 12 licensing commitee members explaining the current WAV situation and the concequences of de-limiting.

I would consider the 3 minute bit as only a part of your lobbying.

Put your colleagues views across in a daily e-mail to all licensing councillors, and maybe try and meet a few face to face before the meeting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:50 am 

This seems a bit unfair.

6 months ago the taxi trade was asked to fill out consultation papers. I have now been told by the head of licensing that I can only talk about our responses from the consultation papers. I can't talk about anything else. Not even the equalities act of 2010!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:17 pm 

StAustell TaxiDriver wrote:
This seems a bit unfair.

6 months ago the taxi trade was asked to fill out consultation papers. I have now been told by the head of licensing that I can only talk about our responses from the consultation papers. I can't talk about anything else. Not even the equalities act of 2010!

Just say what you want, and ensure a copy of your speech is given to all councillors.

You can do that when they are all seated at the beginning, just go around the tables giving them out.

Whatever happens don't leave the meeting thinking I wish I had done that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:50 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Just say what you want, and ensure a copy of your speech is given to all councillors.

And to the local press if they usually attend these meetings.

And if they don't usually attend, then it's about time they did.

Perhaps the press might not like the Restormel version of democratic process at the committee meeting.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject: any good?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:39 pm 

This is a first draft of the letter im sending to the councillors along with the OFT report, a letter from the national taxi assosiation and the Equalities act.

Do you think i'm heading in the right direction? i'm going to complete the letter over the weekend so hopefully it will be on their desks on monday morning. the meeting is on friday.

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been asked to speak at the meeting on the 5th November on behalf of the St. Austell & Newquay Taxi Association. I have enclosed some information that I feel is relevant to this meeting.

Having read all 247 pages of the consultation report I feel it is important to point out some issues.

http://democracy.cornwall.gov.uk/Publis ... Public.pdf

The vast majority of the public do not know the difference between a Hackney Carriage and Private Hire. Therefore asking the public to comment on something they do not understand should have no bearing on the outcome of the consultation. If the public understood the difference and were fully aware of the consequences of de-limitation then the public response would have been very different.

Please see page 198 of the consultation of the report. First of all there are two private hire vehicles that operate in the St. Mawes area, not one. The hotel manager clearly does not know the difference between a Hackney Carriage and Private Hire. Also, he is probably also not aware that Private Hire Vehicles are not limited. De-limiting the number of Hackney carriages will not improve the situation in St. Mawes. If there was a greater demand there would be more vehicles serving the area. Putting 5 Hackney Carriages on a rank in St. Mawes will not increase demand. This is just one of the many rural areas that are not particularly well served by Private Hire or Hackney Carriage Vehicles. A couple private hire firms recently set up in Bugle and Roche (rural areas near St. Austell), there was a lack of demand and they lasted less than 6 months. De-regulating Hackney Carriages will not solve this problem. The hotel manager and members of the public need to understand that in order to provide a service, it needs to be profitable. When this consultation was sent out there should have been some information outlining the differences between the two trades and different services they provide. Also, it should have been clearly pointed out that Private Hire Vehicles are not limited.

I feel it is very important to differentiate the difference between The Private Hire trade and the Hackney Carriage Trade because although we operate in the same sector, we provide different services to the general public. All of the restricted zones have large private hire businesses that provide a valuable service to the public. The large firms operate many vehicles and have the ability to offer services that the Hackney trade cannot. For example, large private hire firms are able to offer 24 hour service; they have the man power to provide this service. You cannot expect an independent taxi driver to offer a 24 hour service. Because the Private Hire trade need advanced bookings they accept will accept the majority of fares. This is invaluable to the large number of people that live and work in the many rural areas our county has. If the council was to deregulate many of these private hire drivers would decide to become hackney carriage drivers. These large private hire fleets would lose drivers along with the valuable service they provide.

Although Hackney Carriage Firms do carry out some private hire work, the majority of our work comes via the taxi ranks; after all, that is where we should be. A previous unmet demand survey found that there is no unmet demand, and there certainly is not enough taxi rank space in any of the regulated zones for more taxis.

--
The Equalities Act of 2010 bears significant relevance and as we will not know the full details of this Act until the end of this year we can only speculate on what they might decide.

The National Taxi Association believe that the Equalities Act of 2010 will stop all restricting councils from refusing to licence a new Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV’s), if they have a lower ratio of WAV’s to taxi saloons than a percentage to be set by the Secretary of State. This percentage is thought to be set at around 50%.

Current %’s in regulated zones

Carrick- 13 WAV’s out of 82. 15.85%
Restormel- 11 WAV’s out of 75. 14.66%
Penwith- 10 WAV’s out of 39. 25.64%

With this in mind I have come up with the scenarios the council could be faced with.

Scenario 1 - The Council decide to de-regulate the regulated zones

The council issue hackney carriage licences for new WAV’s. Using current figures, to comply with the probable 50% rule, at least another 55 hackney plates would have to be issued in the Restormel zone. All of these would have to be new vehicles (£20,000+) and I suggest the majority if not all would be on Hire Purchase. Instead of 75 Hackney carriage vehicles there are now 130 in the Restormel zone. This, in a zone with no unmet demand when there was 75.

New %’s

Carrick – 69 WAV’s out of 138. 50% (an increase of 56 vehicles)
Restormal - 66 WAV’s out of 130. 50.76% (an increase of 55 vehicles)
Penwith – 30 WAV’s out of 59. 50.84% (an increase of 20 vehicles)

Do the three regulated Zones have enough rank space for the additional vehicles and can the private hire businesses in these zones handle losing this many drivers?

Scenario 2 - The Council decide for the 3 regulated zones to stay regulated

The current hackney carriage operators would require a specified amount of time to comply with the new legislation. If they fail to meet the deadline, a set number of new hackney carriage licences issued to bring the Hackney Carriage fleet up to the specified percentage.

Carrick would need current operators to provide another 28 WAV’s
Restormel would need current operators to provide another 27 WAV’s
Penwith would need current operators to provide another 10 WAV’s

- - -

It is in the best interests of the public to keep both private hire and hackney carriages. If you dilute our workload between more taxis it is inevitable that the high standards we maintain will be gone. Cars cost a lot of money to keep on the road. If a car is making less money the taxi trade will inevitable end up making compromises. Is this in the best interest of the public?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:29 pm 

I ahve copied, pasted & printed your draft letter & will read it on the rank later.

But the first thing that caught my eye is 'To Whom It May Concern'.

IMO, you cannot title such an important letter in that way!!

The letters, if you are sending them to all the commitee members, must be titled individually to each councillor.

It shows respect & that you are writing to them personally.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:15 pm 

Thankyou. I've changed it.

Have a busy night

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:07 pm 

Defo change to dear councillor.

The problem you have got is that you need to get all the detail to folks not really interested in reading it.

Pick out your best stat and keep banging on about that.