Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:06 pm 

JD wrote:
If that is what you mean then you didn't explain it very well.

JD

Same statement different words.

B. Lucky :?

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:21 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:
Exactly right but since 1986 it has been common knowledge that the only way a council can legally expect to retain quantity controls is by way of a market research survey? Thus the general acceptance of compulsory surveys for restricting authorities.

Regards

JD

Aye, but apart from that, the 85 transport act doesn't actually mention the word survey (it doesn't mention hippopotamus either)

You know very well why it doesn't mention surveys, in fact it was put there to make it ambiguous as possible. And who put it there and for what purpose? It might have been at the instigation of Lord Renton on behalf of the restricted Taxi trade but it was the legal mind of Lord Denning who constructed the passage of clause 16.

The clause is void of all rational because it gives no guidance as to how such demand could or should be measured. It was ultimately left to the courts to determine how demand should be measured because even the DfT didn't have a clue? That shows precisely what a dogs dinner of a clause, it turned out to be.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:25 pm 

Quote:
You know very well why it doesn't mention surveys, in fact it was put there to make it ambiguous as possible. And who put it there and for what purpose? It might have been at the instigation of Lord Renton on behalf of the restricted Taxi trade but it was the legal mind of Lord Denning who constructed the passage of clause 16.

The clause is void of all rational because it gives no guidance as to how such demand could or should be measured. It was ultimately left to the courts to determine how demand should be measured because even the DfT didn't have a clue? That shows precisely what a dogs dinner of a clause, it turned out to be.

Regards

JD

I guess it must be agood clause because it gets both people pro delimitation and anti delimitation against it :wink:

regards

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:56 pm 

Maybe all a judge needs to see, is a council making a decision in a reasonable and fair manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:02 pm 

Quote:
Maybe all a judge needs to see, is a council making a decision in a reasonable and fair manner.

True MrT, but when a matter needs to go to court then surely the legislation needs looking at ?

Perhaps there needs to be a repeal of various sections of the 1847 act?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:07 pm 

Hear Hear.

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:23 pm 

personally i think that the plate values will rocket, also I am looking forward to read the 100 page report, apparently thier are some issues with the trade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:25 pm 

187ums wrote:
personally i think that the plate values will rocket, also I am looking forward to read the 100 page report, apparently thier are some issues with the trade

If it was done by Halcow or TPI, then I could tell you word for word what's in it. Only the numbers will differ. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:32 pm 

Quote:

I could of course state survey companies welcome repeat business, but i could of course be being a little funny :wink:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:35 pm 

Sussex wrote:
If it was done by Halcow or TPI, then I could tell you word for word what's in it. Only the numbers will differ. :wink:

But its the numbers that's important ................. is it not.

Surveys are not acceptable as a way of fully assessing unmet demand ........... as you quite rightly point out the substance of most is very similar.

We should be working to get the RIGHT number of vehicles licensed, as well as making sure the vehicles and those driving them are of the highest standard.

B. Lucky :D

TF pi$$ed on his chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm 

[quote="MR T"]The clause is void of all rational because it gives no guidance as to how such demand could or should be measured. It was ultimately left to the courts to determine how demand should be measured because even the DfT didn't have a clue? That shows precisely what a dogs dinner of a clause, it turned out to be.

:wink:
For quite a number of years, due to conversations with the Manchester Taxi owners Association, I have been under the impression that Manchester had a great deal to do with the actual wording......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:04 pm 

Quote:
For quite a number of years, due to conversations with the Manchester Taxi owners Association, I have been under the impression that Manchester had a great deal to do with the actual wording......

Those crazy fools?

Carlisle TOA has more members than those damned pesky kids :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:41 am 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

Those crazy fools?

CC

It just goes to show that the right hand doesn't always know what ever left hand is doing
:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:42 am 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

Those crazy fools?

CC

It just goes to show that the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand is doing
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post subject: Thank you NTA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:47 pm 

My thanks to the NTA for there intervention over the plate issue, to Mann and Overton.

Which will hopefully lead to a meeting of all cocernd later this week.

And would also thank those who help with information and not tried to make this into a knocking of each other.

Thank you all

Charley From Bolton