Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:05 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Lincoln. I can help with this one £4,000. (source, Halcrow survey) and Me.

I think I confirmed it was in the region of 4 grand the last time you brought it to my attention. Penwith at 25k is also absent from the list but thats because I have other priorities, however just for you I'll add Lincoln to the list If I can find my post which says I confirmed the value.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:08 pm 

I would think it would be considerably less , :wink: but the point is that even in areas where numeral controls have been lifted, the original plates can still hold the value, and by not including these areas it creates a totally false impression. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:18 pm 

MR T wrote:
I would think it would be considerably less , :wink: but the point is that even in areas where numeral controls have been lifted, the original plates can still hold the value, and by not including these areas it creates a totally false impression. :wink:

How can it create a false impression when the data is "specifically confined" to those 97 authorities that have voted to retain a policy of quantity controls? Perhaps you should read the terms of reference to which the data refers?

The information compiled in the plate value database reflects the plate values in 37% or 36 out of the 97 combined authorities, who have either made a decision to restrict numbers or are considering that option. This leaves 61 authorities still to be researched.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:26 pm 

I appreciate what you are saying, but for anybody reading the list who is not as conversant as you or I and some others, it creates the impression that restricted areas are the only places with a plate price, when in fact in certain areas licences that are attached to saloon vehicles do still demand a high value, I think £45,000 was a price in one area was it not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:27 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Mid Sussex. Open to legal challenge, it says. Go for it Sussex.

I think they are about £20,000. :?

As for the challenge, I wouldn't work there if they gave me a taxi plate. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:30 pm 

jimbo wrote:
MR T wrote:
How much is the plate value in Birmingham ??? You seemed to have missed it out. :wink:

Just a stab in the dark, Mr T, but I'll guess at £45,000

I would imagine that you could buy all the Birmingham plates £45,000.

As the lads would go down the council and get another one for £0,000. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:35 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:
MR T wrote:
How much is the plate value in Birmingham ??? You seemed to have missed it out. :wink:

Just a stab in the dark, Mr T, but I'll guess at £45,000

I would imagine that you could buy all the Birmingham plates £45,000.

As the lads would go down the council and get another one for £0,000. :wink:

But they are not Sussex, buy a brand new cab 30.000, No, buy a old one with the plate, I think the plate price is between 6 and 7000. but it could have changed either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:36 pm 

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:40 pm 

MR T wrote:
I appreciate what you are saying, but for anybody reading the list who is not as conversant as you or I and some others, it creates the impression that restricted areas are the only places with a plate price, when in fact in certain areas licences that are attached to saloon vehicles do still demand a high value, I think £45,000 was a price in one area was it not.

Some time ago as you probably know we discussed the issue of grandfather rights and the value attached to licenses that aren't subject to the conditions of some new licenses? We probably all agree that in such circumstances vehicles with grandfather rights attain a value? However, earlier updates of the quota list did highlight that fact but I removed all reference to it when I did the condensed version of the list. Very soon I shall have to update the initial comment in the list and when I do I may once again mention grandfather rights in the plate value list. However, I don't think it is as ambiguous as you make out?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:45 pm 

Whether you restrict the number of vehicles, or place conditions on licences that can be issued freely, there will always be somebody who is prepared to pay to jump the queue, the only way to stop this is to make licences freely available without conditions, I do not honestly think that it would suit either of us do you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:27 pm 

MR T wrote:
Whether you restrict the number of vehicles, or place conditions on licences that can be issued freely, there will always be somebody who is prepared to pay to jump the queue.

I can understanding your reasoning behind the point you make in respect of a council restricting a vehicle license and someone having to pay a fee in order to obtain a license? However I fail to see your reasoning in respect of conditions, unless you mean conditions = quality control?

Perhaps you can explain how someone can jump the queue in an authority that doesn't exercise quantity controls?

Quote:
the only way to stop this is to make licences freely available without conditions, I do not honestly think that it would suit either of us do you?

In the majority of areas vehicle licenses are freely available and any condition attached to a vehicle license is the same for everyone. Likewise any condition attached to a driver license is the same for everyone, no matter where they are licensed? When you talk about jumping the queue, surely it only applies to those authorities that are restricted because licensing conditions in authorities that aren't restricted are available to all?

The only inequality that exists, is in the method of quantity controls?

The problem with the 91 councils that so far restrict numbers is that they haven't got the foresight to see how they can restrict licenses other than by way of quantity controls. Perhaps if they did put proper quality controls into affect half the current crop of drivers might not pass them? Perhaps thats the reason many prefer quantity control over quality control?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:10 am 

So you never see attached the condition.... a driver must of held a Licence 3/4/5 years to be eligible.

:wink: Fit and proper person :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:25 am 

MR T wrote:
So you never see attached the condition.... a driver must of held a Licence 3/4/5 years to be eligible.

:wink: Fit and proper person :wink:

Elligibale for what, To drive a hackney carriage?

The law on driver licenses is quite clear.

Does that condition apply to all drivers in the authority? "Subject" to it being legal then the policy is equal to all?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:27 am 

Elligibale for what, To drive a hackney carriage?No. to be issued a free licence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:28 am 

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:29 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway the TPI report is in and as previously stated the council will only issue one plate, however the conditions for this one plate are:

must have had HC badge for five years

never had any problems with the police

and no problems with the council

you all have up until the 28th Feb to apply for the most expensive plate in the UK if you meet the req
regards