Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 51  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:41 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:
Ms Harriott Harman

dyke :shock:

CC

Why are they known a dykes?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:42 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:
Ms Harriott Harman

CC

I dont know.......cant be anything to do with that little dutch boy :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:50 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:
Ms Harriott Harman

CC

I dont know.......cant be anything to do with that little dutch boy :lol:

CC

That's what I thought, but apparently not.

The terminology may come from Harlem in New York.

Let Wikipedia educate you . . .

Origins

The origin of the term is obscure, and many theories have been proposed. The OED dates the first recorded use of dike, dyke in 1942, in Berrey and Van den Bark's American Thesaurus of Slang. But the term bulldyker, from which dyke may be a shortened form, was first printed in 1920s novels connected with the Harlem Renaissance. For example, in the 1928 novel Home to Harlem, Claude McKay wrote: "[Lesbians are] what we calls bulldyker in Harlem. ... I don't understan' ... a bulldyking woman." (The term is unattested in the OED.) From the context of the novel, the word was considered crude and pejorative at the time. There are several theories concerning the origin of bulldyker. One is that it arose as an abbreviation of morphadike, a dialect variant of hermaphrodite, a common term for homosexuals in the early twentieth century. This in turn may be related to the possible late-nineteenth century use of dyke (meaning ditch) as slang for the vulva. Bull is also a common expression for "masculine" or "aggressive" (as in "bullish"), so bulldyke implied "masculine woman." According to another theory, bulldyker was a term used for bulls whose purpose it was to impregnate cows. Just as the word "stud" was first used for such a purpose and was later used for sexually promiscuous men or for others in reference to a man who was successful with women, the terms "bulldyker" and "bulldagger" were also taken from their original context and used for the same purpose. A man who was a great lover or successful with women was called a "bulldyker." "Bulldyking woman" and "bulldyker" became terms for women who looked like a "bulldyker," a male stud, and were assumed to perform the role, as well.

In Another Mother Tongue, Judy Grahn proposed that the word bulldyke might have arisen from the name of the Celtic queen Boadicea, but this theory is implausible.

That "Dike" is the name of the ancient Greek goddess of moral justice, and that its use to denote a wall or bank built to contain water or enclose a separate land dates back to the 1st millennium BCE, shows a very long, deeply rooted history of positive meaning applicable to women and to woman's power[neutrality is disputed], despite the modern day suggested etymology of a misstatement of the Greek term "hermaphrodite."

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:55 pm 

BC.. have you ever thought about going on Mastermind :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:56 pm 

MR T wrote:

Provided he takes wiki :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:59 pm 

captain cab wrote:
MR T wrote:

Provided he takes wiki :lol:

CC

Wind-up brewing!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 pm 

toots wrote:
It's rather strange that Ms Harriott Harman should be one of the sponsors of this bill considering she's looking for an all female parliament :?

I thought William Hague took the pi** out of her the other day when he said he was surprised her husband (big Unite union man) got elected from an all woman list. :lol: :lol:

Clearly equality for some, but not for others. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:21 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
cabbyman wrote:
إنني أتفق تماما مع لكم ، ق.

Is that better?? It still may not work. When I tried my first one it came back with a Charlesism!!!

Bear in mind you need to highlight from right to left.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well now that I have translated that, (guessed the language first time) you & me can blog on TDO in that language!!!

That will really screw Mr Charles007!!!

بالمناسبة. . . هل تعتقد أن تشارلز لجيمس بوند متنوعة هو مثلي الجنس نقابة الرجل؟

بلا شك

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:43 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
toots wrote:
It's rather strange that Ms Harriott Harman should be one of the sponsors of this bill considering she's looking for an all female parliament :?

How do you know that?

Did Mr Skippy41 tell you, or did Santa tell you when he sat you on his knee last Christmas?

Strange you should mention Santa, it was in conversation with the same person who told me I was too old to sit on Santa's lap now :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 am 

3rd Reading today folks. last chance saloon for amendments.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/200 ... ality.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 pm 

I believe it returns to the Commons for consideration of any amendments. Scary stuff! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 pm 

THE PROPORTION OF WHEELCHAIR-ACCESSIBLE TAXIS

Setting standards or guidelines for the design of accessible vehicles is one matter, but there is also the question of whether such standards should be applied to all taxis or just to a proportion.

For understandable reasons, many wheelchair users and other disabled people would like to see entire fleets of fully accessible vehicles. This does not apply, however, to all disabled people. In the research mounted into the proposed UK regulations for accessible taxis1 it was found that some disabled people preferred using conventional saloon car taxis because they were easier to get into and out of. This applied particularly to people with arthritis and similar conditions.

One factor which has a bearing on this issue is the extent to which taxis in a given area are hailed on-street or taken at taxi ranks rather than being booked by telephone. In the report “Taxi Regulation in Europe” commissioned by the IRU2 very wide variations were found between the cities included in the study. At one extreme approximately 90% of taxi use was street work (hail and rank) in Brussels and 70% in Paris and Amsterdam. At the other extreme in Oslo, Geneva and Stockholm the proportion was around 30%.

As a rule street work is not very important in rural areas; most taxis are booked by telephone.

One of the reasons for advocating that the whole taxi fleet should be accessible is that, where the level of street work is high, disabled people (particularly wheelchair users) are at a disadvantage if only a proportion of the taxis are accessible. They will have to wait longer to find a taxi than a non-disabled person or to telephone for one. This argument, however, carries less weight where street work is of less importance, though of course the argument remains that there must be some accessible taxis within the fleet.

The proportion of the fleet in areas such as these that should be accessible is a matter of debate.

Among other things the proportion may depend to some extent on the structure of the local taxi trade. There are other local conditions that will influence the basic demand for accessible taxis, including the availability of other accessible public transport, whether or not the area is one that attracts tourists and the age profile of the resident population. Just as an example to illustrate the differences that exist in the case of population age profiles, the percentage of residents in English local authorities who are of retirement age ranges from a low of 11% to a high of 26%.

As issuing taxi licences is almost always the responsibility of local authorities, it may be that the final decision on the proportion of fully accessible taxis has to be made at this level rather than at a national (or international) level.

However, accepting that circumstances dictate this, it does not absolve central governments from setting out guidelines on how local authorities should reach a decision on the appropriate proportion of fully accessible vehicles.

Seemed sensible way back when, seems sensible now.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:28 pm 

Source?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:30 pm 

cabbyman wrote:
Source?

The IRU......its in the documents section of the NTA website.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:30 pm 

cabbyman wrote:
Source?

brown, please....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 51  Next