Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 51  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:04 pm 

Quote:
The key point to remember is that they want to get the Act passed..... and then put together the exemptions and percentages....... it a bit like building a house and then drawing the plans....

So if I understand this correctly, they are going to pass the act without all it's content and then fill in the gaps later :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:49 pm 

MR T wrote:
I seem to remember a few years ago.. that unions and national associations met with the 0FT... they went back to their members telling them that the meetings were just fine... oh did they have egg on their faces when the final report came out..

Then those so-called reps were mugs, and neither you nor me are. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:51 pm 

toots wrote:
So if I understand this correctly, they are going to pass the act without all it's content and then fill in the gaps later :?

For amendments that's quite normal as the full inns and outs haven't yet been worked out.

If I was a betting man I would say it will be 75%, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was as low as 50%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:53 am 

Quote:
Mr T wrote:what people need to Remember is that when the Act is in place it is in place.... and if certain people within the Ministry of Transport changed their minds then the cab trade is well and truly shafted

I think MR t has got this completely right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:04 pm 

tom2907 wrote:
Quote:
Mr T wrote:what people need to Remember is that when the Act is in place it is in place.... and if certain people within the Ministry of Transport changed their minds then the cab trade is well and truly shafted

Not fully understanding all the talk regarding this proposed act I have to say that if there are important things that may be added/withdrawn at a later date prior to it becoming law then the trade should be making concerted efforts to ensure they are fully aware of what these may or in some cases may not be and fighting their corner. You cannot agree to something if you do not know for sure if it is going to be implemented.

Will there definately be excemptions in areas that do not warrant 100% WAV fleet for example or is it assumed there will be :?

Whilst I noted that the PH side of the trade has been removed from this with regard to the need for 100% WAV fleet will they not need to have a certain % of WAV's :?

If PH is completely excluded from this bill then surely that creates a very unequal playing field with regard to the trade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:26 pm 

tom2907 wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure that's so.

If we go back to the original act it states that all cabs should be WAVs i.e. 100%.

15 years later it wont be so high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:46 pm 

Toots wrote

Quote:
If PH is completely excluded from this bill then surely that creates a very unequal playing field with regard to the trade

This ishow I feel the trade is at present..... generally speaking the saloon fraternity have had it their way for far too long.... As there are enough PH saloons around these days, with many wav's all disability friendly, there is really not much to excuse the excuses...... :-|

Sussex wrote

Quote:
If we go back to the original act it states that all cabs should be WAVs i.e. 100%.

Which proves the trade has already been shafted :roll: :-|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:22 pm 

Sussex wrote:
tom2907 wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure that's so.

It's not really about who is right or wrong........ and luckily enough for me it will not affect me one way or the other...... but for the people who intend to stay in this trade for years to come. than they need to think Seriously.... this Act now will be debated by the MPs... and if nobody has contacted them and expressed their concerns... then they will think everybody is happy with it..... if it goes through and they get it wrong..... can people really wait another 15 years to rectify it ...But what the hell it's only your way of making a living that is at stake....

Sussex remind Me Again... how many people there are in this country... how many are disabled.. and how many of the disabled are in wheelchairs... and then how that Relate's to say 50 per cent of Hackney's in a particular area having to be wheelchair accessible.
to me all this does is create an advantage for the private hire on the rates that they charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 pm 

MR T wrote:
to me all this does is create an advantage for the private hire on the rates that they charge.

One tier system mate . . . . it's the only answer.

Then your playing field would be spot on the bubble (in the spirit-level).

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:06 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex remind Me Again... how many people there are in this country... how many are disabled.. and how many of the disabled are in wheelchairs... and then how that Relate's to say 50 per cent of Hackney's in a particular area having to be wheelchair accessible.

Someone once mentioned 2% of folks were in wheelchairs, not sure if that's an accurate stat.

But if it was 2% it doesn't follow that those 2% account for 2% of our trade. The mere fact that they are in wheelchairs means we are their lifeline to the world, thus they account for far more than 2% of our custom.

The real world say our trade need to cater for folks in their wheelchairs, we must offer them an equal service (see DDA as amended in 2005).

It's down to our trade to put our trade in order. In many areas folks in wheelchairs can't get out or home in confidence.

We our are own worst enemies, and we are about to get what we deserve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:21 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Someone once mentioned 2% of folks were in wheelchairs, not sure if that's an accurate stat.

But if it was 2% it doesn't follow that those 2% account for 2% of our trade. The mere fact that they are in wheelchairs means we are their lifeline to the world, thus they account for far more than 2% of our custom.

The real world say our trade need to cater for folks in their wheelchairs, we must offer them an equal service (see DDA as amended in 2005).

It's down to our trade to put our trade in order. In many areas folks in wheelchairs can't get out or home in confidence.

We our are own worst enemies, and we are about to get what we deserve.

The stats were/are approximately 7 million registered disabled, of which approximately 1 million are in wheelchairs. Those figures were quoted when the population was circa 50 million, so 2% would have been about right.

As for offering the wheelchair disabled a taxi service . . . there are so many duckers & divers in this trade when it comes to servicing these customers, that it will never be done to the satisfaction of the wheelchair taxi traveller.

The government forgets that any self-employed trade is not controllable. You can have 500% WAVs & it still won't work!!!

The ONLY solution is to have dedicated WAGE PAID drivers. That is the only way that the wheelchair traveller will get anything near a decent service.

And that is putting the facts brutally bluntly, I'm sorry to say.

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:30 pm 

Its about equality, disabled people having the same rights of access as the able bodied.

If all HC's have to be WAV, then so be it.

It might get rid of those who dont want to invest anyway.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:41 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
MR T wrote:

Nope... two tiers are perfectly fine and fair, if you dont like being made a WAV then you have the right to change to PH...no ones forcing you to remain a Taxi.

PH offer a very different type of service, so if you want to rank up or be hailed then accept it...if not, well ...convert!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:42 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
MR T wrote:

Considering the private hire have been left out of the equation you're one Tear system is about as likely to happen as you being able to make a nice cup of tea in a chocolate teapot :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:00 pm 

MR T wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
MR T wrote:

Considering the private hire have been left out of the equation you're one Tear system is about as likely to happen as you being able to make a nice cup of tea in a chocolate teapot :lol:

Tea & Kraft's . . . now there's an indulgence!!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 51  Next