Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I Must Say
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:52 am 
If you read this board there are lots and lots of threads showing how deregulation hasn't,doesn't and never will work, a prime example of how all this could've been avoided is the Nationwide Building Society, some years ago rumour was they were going to float on the stock market and become a bank, if you could obtain the information you would find the Nationwide was flooded with ppl wanting to open an account, the reason why? because if you held an account that made you entitled to a windfall if the Society became a bank, anytime ppl think they are getting something for nothing they will flock in, and the taxi trade is no exception.

I've experienced deregulation, I've seen what it does, it just makes a mess of things, controlled growth however subject to demand and future demand after survey isn't such a bad idea, but it can only work if the council comes down hard on pirating PHD's to start with, and also PH companies should also be investigated to show they have enough work for the number of cars they are employing, standards have to improve as well, it's no good having drivers out there who don't know the basics of the road, how many times do you see a cab on the wrong side of the road with it's headlights blinding oncoming traffic, of a local one at the station, they park and wait on the mini roundabout blocking it up, of course when the rail staff see it they blame the taxis, where the blame is the PH, one thing I agree with the likes of Sussex is the plate baron thing, it's a liberty that one man should turn himself into a bus company, the idea of the job is that you drive the taxi you licenced, enforce this and you rid yourself of barons, deregulating only encourages barons, players who will risk bank money and take profit if it's there, and shrug their shoulders and default on the loan if it isn't, which is like betting with a bookie who gives you your stake back on all losing bets.

Another taxi turkey arrived in my car tonight, I asked for MUF for an out of town ride, kid in the front got a bit off about it to start with, when I explained it to him he explained they'd been asked for £30 last week by someone hailing from a well know cricket fanatical country, as I'd asked for £15 and put it on the clock for later adjustment, which ended up as £20 I could understand his reluctance, time and again I hear this, but nobody does anything about it, all to scared to play PC poker, but these ppl are no better than a burgler, it's still stealing, and theiving isn't a condition of licence is it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:23 pm 
I'll take it that as there are no replies to this you ppl must have read somethiong to make you think, ok the agree'r's might not feel the need to reply, but the opposer's absence says to me I may just have gotten through at last.

Post subject: Re: I Must Say
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:55 pm 

Doom wrote:
deregulating only encourages barons, players who will risk bank money and take profit if it's there, and shrug their shoulders and default on the loan if it isn't, which is like betting with a bookie who gives you your stake back on all losing bets.

Complete Tosh.

Restricted numbers and poor entry standards are the life blood of the barons. Rentals go up and profits are good for them.
Not so good for their hapless drivers who have to work more hours to pay the rent and make a living.
Bad too for the independant owner driver, as they have to compete against the drivers who rent.

Without a large pool of drivers who can't get their own vehicle, barons have nobody to exploit - except those stupid enough to let them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:57 pm 

Doom wrote:
but the opposer's absence says to me I may just have gotten through at last.

No, we've just heard all this bollux before and don't feel like raking it over again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:38 pm 
It's funny you say that Gus, you're reply is the standard one you issue all the time, and as for Baron's would you say one man owning 150 rented cabs out in one city qualifies ?

Well there are 3 like that here, all running a PH fleet each, so please remind me why it is that a PH baron is acceptable and a HC one isn't, not that I find either acceptable btw, but thats how it is, and if you think I would readily agree to give these ppl the opportunity to flood the ranks with renters..think again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:46 pm 

gusmac wrote:
Doom wrote:

No, we've just heard all this bollux before and don't feel like raking it over again :D

Saved me saying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:13 pm 

Sussex wrote:
gusmac wrote:
Doom wrote:

Saved me saying it.

I maybe digressing here but it never seems to stop the wannaplates

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 am 
Sussex wrote:
gusmac wrote:
Doom wrote:

Saved me saying it.

Mark, can I ask you whats in it for you? the way you bang the dereg drum is fascinating to say the least, you seem to be here morning noon and night, hardly what would fit the pattern of a cab driver, infact I'm begining to think this site is run by the government, especially with some of the replies recently, a cab driver who wants competition? NA, doesn't happen, you must have ulterior motive, please digress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:47 am 

Doom wrote:
NA, doesn't happen, you must have ulterior motive,

I do indeed have an ulterior motive, and that's to annoy the hell out of you.

Oh, and I'm still can't understand why it sticks in some folks throats that folks like me want all drivers to be offered the same opportunities as others.

There was a time when unions agreed with that, but clearly times have changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:38 am 

Sussex wrote:
Oh, and I'm still can't understand why it sticks in some folks throats that folks like me want all drivers to be offered the same opportunities as others.

1984 perhaps?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 am 
Sussex wrote:
Doom wrote:
NA, doesn't happen, you must have ulterior motive,

I do indeed have an ulterior motive, and that's to annoy the hell out of you.

There was a time when unions agreed with that, but clearly times have changed.

But it's not annoying me at all, I see you as one of those ppl who feels put out because he can't come in, almost like the guy who comes up to the car and says.....how far will £2 get me mate at 1am in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:26 am 

Doom wrote:
If you read this board there are lots and lots of threads showing how deregulation hasn't,doesn't and never will work, a prime example of how all this could've been avoided is the Nationwide Building Society, some years ago rumour was they were going to float on the stock market and become a bank, if you could obtain the information you would find the Nationwide was flooded with ppl wanting to open an account, the reason why? because if you held an account that made you entitled to a windfall if the Society became a bank, anytime ppl think they are getting something for nothing they will flock in, and the taxi trade is no exception.

That experience is true for controlled growth......which you seem to agree with.

I could give you numerous examples, but AliT is certainly one, and I understand the late JD was another (although the old codger aint here to defend himself).

CC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:39 am 

Doom wrote:
I've experienced deregulation, I've seen what it does, it just makes a mess of things, controlled growth however subject to demand and future demand after survey isn't such a bad idea, but it can only work if the council comes down hard on pirating PHD's to start with, and also PH companies should also be investigated to show they have enough work for the number of cars they are employing, standards have to improve as well, it's no good having drivers out there who don't know the basics of the road, how many times do you see a cab on the wrong side of the road with it's headlights blinding oncoming traffic, of a local one at the station, they park and wait on the mini roundabout blocking it up, of course when the rail staff see it they blame the taxis, where the blame is the PH, one thing I agree with the likes of Sussex is the plate baron thing, it's a liberty that one man should turn himself into a bus company, the idea of the job is that you drive the taxi you licenced, enforce this and you rid yourself of barons, deregulating only encourages barons, players who will risk bank money and take profit if it's there, and shrug their shoulders and default on the loan if it isn't, which is like betting with a bookie who gives you your stake back on all losing bets.

Some interesting points but I disagree with swathes of it.

Controlled growth creates a further demand for plates, as you pointed out above with the Nationwide Building Society scenario.

Why, in a free market should a PH company show it has any work?

Its subscribers, if making no money will surely move circuits.

On driving standards, it is the job of the people that license us to ensure we are of a high standard.

In respect of barons, I think you and sussex are equally incorrect, my experience is that people who aquire plates in this country have a common interest to ensure people actually make a living, nobody will rent a cab if they cannot afford it or dont make enough money.

CC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:45 am 

Doom wrote:
Another taxi turkey arrived in my car tonight, I asked for MUF for an out of town ride, kid in the front got a bit off about it to start with, when I explained it to him he explained they'd been asked for £30 last week by someone hailing from a well know cricket fanatical country, as I'd asked for £15 and put it on the clock for later adjustment, which ended up as £20 I could understand his reluctance, time and again I hear this, but nobody does anything about it, all to scared to play PC poker, but these ppl are no better than a burgler, it's still stealing, and theiving isn't a condition of licence is it.

The law permits you to charge what you want when going more than 6 miles in old money, or out of your area in new.

Provided you agree a fee beforehand.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:48 am 

Quote:
PH companies should also be investigated to show they have enough work for the number of cars they are employing

I'm inclined to agree with Doom on this matter. It's not so bad with smaller companies they tend to slowly increase their driver numbers to ensure there is work

Quote:
Its subscribers, if making no money will surely move circuits.

It's not so easy as that when they are all over subscribed like where I am for example. All you get are drivers working more and more hours to make ends meet and this is a dangerous practice. Please don't suggest that they should just pull out the trade if they aren't making money, being on the dole is not a sensible option IMO