Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:52 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Smoked Glass wrote:
I still say the key to this is a restriction of licenses.

But isn't this what the PCO do in London, albeit un-officially. :roll: :roll:

Make driver's licenses harder, but not impossible, to get, and everyone wins.

Less drivers and less riff-raff.
I realy don't know, but I will take your word on it. I say great but also do it for the PH as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:50 pm 
If you make it too hard you end up with no cabs and the public suffers, something needs to improve but if something along the lines of not knowing where all the local football team lives or what shade of blue car some random bloke drives is part of it, it just becomes unworkable.

Maybe the best solution would be to issue a licence to those exibiting the qualities of a cabby, and then re-test in 6 mths time to ensure they did indeed have the capabilities to become a good cabby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:29 pm 

Doom wrote:

Maybe the best solution would be to issue a licence to those exibiting the qualities of a cabby, and then re-test in 6 mths time to ensure they did indeed have the capabilities to become a good cabby.

What qualities should be required and what test would be devised to check they had the capabilities?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:18 pm 

Doom wrote:
If you make it too hard you end up with no cabs and the public suffers, something needs to improve but if something along the lines of not knowing where all the local football team lives or what shade of blue car some random bloke drives is part of it, it just becomes unworkable.

The point is to have a relevant test of local knowledge.
Where local streets, shops offices etc are and how to get their by the shortest route.
Not what colour car someone drives or who owns the pub down the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:44 pm 
grandad wrote:
Doom wrote:

What qualities should be required and what test would be devised to check they had the capabilities?

Clean
Reasonable knowledge
Able to speak English to a reasonable level

There's probably a few other thngs as well, but the 3 I've listed I think are most important, along with polite manner, you have to give ppl the chance to learn the area properly, nobody knows it all when they 1st apply, and at the very least pigeon English from those not native, again it will improve, but at least if you re-test in 6 mths you should be able to review if there's been any complaints and see how the driver is improving or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:45 pm 
gusmac wrote:
Doom wrote:

The point is to have a relevant test of local knowledge.
Where local streets, shops offices etc are and how to get their by the shortest route.
Not what colour car someone drives or who owns the pub down the road.

If you read it Gus, thats what I said.