Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:19 pm 

A good TAXI insurance policy includes Public Liability as standard, this is all part of the requirements for public hire.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:35 pm 

heathcote wrote:
A good TAXI insurance policy includes Public Liability as standard, this is all part of the requirements for public hire.

We assumed this because it always did, but last year we found out that our policy did not include any public liability. So we had to quickly get some for our school contracts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:59 pm 

grandad wrote:
heathcote wrote:

We assumed this because it always did, but last year we found out that our policy did not include any public liability. So we had to quickly get some for our school contracts.

I was referring to Hackney Carriages.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:36 pm 

heathcote wrote:
grandad wrote:
heathcote wrote:

I was referring to Hackney Carriages.

The company we insured with did not do public liability at all regardless of whether public or private hire.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:09 pm 

Well this is interesting. My view is this;

An operator (someone who accepts bookings for hackneys or PH) should have public liability insurance. Certainly every contract that I have bid for demands evidence that you have it.

As an operator you can ask anyone accepting bookings from you to have PL insurance. It is a reasonable expectation for anyone running their own business to hold it surely?

Any claimant is perfectly entitled to come after you, the operator, if you accepted a booking from them and then placed the booking with a driver who does not have public liability cover.

That is how vicarious liability works.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:00 pm 

My view is the buck stops at the operator in respect of contract/pre-booked work.

The issue arises as to where the buck stops in respect of rank/path hirings.

I always assumed that your normal taxi/PH insurance would cover you when, for example, you wheeled the customer into their house, but my insurance company told me a few years back that was no longer the case.

But when hackney carriage owners get their insurance surely the insurers know what the job entails so they should automatically include PL in their quotes.

In my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:22 am 

Sussex wrote:

But when hackney carriage owners get their insurance surely the insurers know what the job entails so they should automatically include PL in their quotes.

In my opinion.
This is what I thought until 2 years ago when I found out that my policy did not have public liability.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:13 am 

So even helping a passenger in or out of the cab is no longer insured? Would the driver be insured if working away from the vehicle in that case, i.e. doing a good turn helping the proverbial old lady across the pavement with her shopping?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:06 pm 

roythebus wrote:
So even helping a passenger in or out of the cab is no longer insured?

I think that would be covered as it's part of the fare, and involves usage of the car.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:33 am 

also, for my car PL is included, but my lad doing 1 of my school runs, county demand EL insurance

seems if i pass him work he is considered employed even if he is registered as self employed

£5m is included in my premium bit if i want £10m its an extra policy and not having the £5m doesnt reduce the vehicle policy

robbing farts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:46 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
also, for my car PL is included, but my lad doing 1 of my school runs, county demand EL insurance

seems if i pass him work he is considered employed even if he is registered as self employed

£5m is included in my premium bit if i want £10m its an extra policy and not having the £5m doesnt reduce the vehicle policy

robbing farts
Just had my renewal and I got £10,000,000 PL included for free.