Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: register of staff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:21 am 

I received this from our Council.

4.4 Register of staff

Private hire operators are required to keep a register of all staff that will take bookings or dispatch vehicles. In doing so operators must evidence to the authority that they have had sight of a basic DBS check on all individuals added to the register. They should be required, as part of their employment contract, to advise the operator of any convictions while they are employed in this role.

The register should be a ‘living document’ that maintains records of all those in these roles for the same duration as booking records are required to be kept, this will enable cross-referencing between the two records.

A record that the operator has had sight of a basic DBS check certificate (although the certificate itself should not be retained) should be retained for the duration that the individual remains on the register.

Should an employee cease to be on the register and later re-entered, a new basic DBS certificate should be requested and sight of this recorded. An operator can not pass on the obligation placed on them to protect children and vulnerable adults.

Operators or applicants for a licence should also provide their policy on employing exoffenders in roles that would be on the register as above.

As with the threshold to obtaining a private hire vehicle operators’ licence, those with a conviction for offences, other than those relating to driving, may not be suitable to decide who is sent to carry a child or vulnerable adult unaccompanied in a car.
I wrote back saying how could a driver be unsuitable to carry a child or vulnerable adult due to the Council giving them a license in the first place so the dispatcher can't make a decision to send an unsuitable driver so therefore the dispatcher must be fundamentally be suitable to dispatch any driver to any job.

Post subject: Re: register of staff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:09 pm 

Has this been passed by a committee?

Or is this all made up?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:18 pm 

Isn't this the office staff vetting stuff that's part of the DfT recommendations that various local authorities are implementing?

Not quite sure what the precise rationale is (and don't know if it's similar to the Melton one cited by Grandad), but pretty sure it's becoming almost the norm, in England at least.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:33 pm 

County insist base staff have a county badge for the same reason, DBS/CES course, etc

In a way its right int it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:01 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
County insist base staff have a county badge for the same reason, DBS/CES course, etc

In a way its right int it
I don't have a problem with the DBS just the reason given. If they had said the booker/dispatcher could pass the details of customers who have gone on holiday to burglars it would make more sense.