Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Proposed new byelaw laws
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:55 pm 

It seems the gov are trying to make it easier to fine licensed taxi drivers.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publicati ... nt/byelaws

The IoL seem to think it will be good.

http://www.instituteoflicensing.org/art ... ivers.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:26 pm 

Quote:
ENFORCEMENT
The proposals envisage that certain byelaws – although those relating to hackney carriages and electrolysis are not yet amongst them – could be enforced by way of fixed penalty notices.

erm, what exactly do you taxi drivers do in your vehicles?.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:57 pm 

It will bring forth a new breed of Witchfinder Generals...give some folk a faintest whiff of Legal Power and its a recipe for Disaster.......

Get ye behind me Satan, because ye be obstructing my CCTV coverage of yonder Taxi rank.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:10 pm 

Sussex wrote:
It seems the gov are trying to make it easier to fine licensed taxi drivers.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publicati ... nt/byelaws

The IoL seem to think it will be good.

http://www.instituteoflicensing.org/art ... ivers.html

If this goes through it will bring us in-line with private hire where the council can set conditions on Taxi drivers. There is no telling what a council might do because their powers to make new bylaws will be practically unlimited.

Specifically for taxi drivers they want to change section 68 of the 1847 act but the scope goes a lot further than that.

The most significant points to Taxi drivers are the paragraphs in bold type.

I might add that under the current system there are checks and balances and the onus is on the council to prosecute you but under this system it will be up to you take the council to court. If a fixed penalty is involved then I suspect there might be an appeal to an arbitration panel but don't take that for granted?

I haven't read all of these proposals as yet so it may be that you find something that I haven't.

68 Byelaws for regulating hackney carriages The commissioners may from time to time (subject to the restrictions of this and the special Act) make byelaws for all or any of the purposes following; (that is to say,)

For regulating the conduct of the proprietors and drivers of hackney carriages plying within the prescribed distance in their several employments, and determining whether such drivers shall wear any and what badges, and for regulating the hours within which they may exercise their calling:

For regulating the manner in which the number of each carriage, corresponding with the number of its licence, shall be displayed:

For regulating the number of persons to be carried by such hackney carriages, and in what manner such number is to be shown on such carriage, and what number of horses or other animals is to draw the same, and the placing of check strings to the carriages, and the holding of the same by the driver, and how such hackney carriages are to be furnished or provided:

For fixing the stands of such hackney carriages, and the distance to which they may be compelled to take passengers, not exceeding the prescribed distance:

For fixing the rates or fares, as well for time as distance, to be paid for such hackney carriages within the prescribed distance, and for securing the due publication of such fares;

For securing the safe custody and re-delivery of any property accidentally left in hackney carriages, and fixing the charges to be made in respect thereof.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:11 pm 

you've spelt bye-laws wrong

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:57 am 

captain cab wrote:

Not for the first time.

Just for the record did the NALEO rep mention any of this at the last MoM? :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:07 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Not for the first time.

Just for the record did the NALEO rep mention any of this at the last MoM? :roll: :roll:

I dont know...I was babysitting.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:02 pm 

I'm in a right tiz over this. :?

I know that I should be opposed to more powers for LOs, but I'm thinking would the idea of fines money going to the council mean more enforcement? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:14 pm 

Sussex you are such a slowcoach..... the idea behind this is to free up court time..... at the moment if a enforcement officer were to issue a ticket for let's say over ranking. it would go to court, the driver would receive a fine plus costs.. as a example... by making it a by law, they could simply issue a fine.... this has been getting muted For ages and ages...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:18 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex you are such a slowcoach..... .

I'm looking into the pros and cons, how the f*** does that makes me a slow coach? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:20 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex you are such a slowcoach..... .

I'm looking into the pros and cons, how the f*** does that makes me a slow coach? :?
You should have been looking at them ages ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:48 pm 

MR T wrote:
You should have been looking at them ages ago

Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:29 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex you are such a slowcoach..... the idea behind this is to free up court time..... at the moment if a enforcement officer were to issue a ticket for let's say over ranking. it would go to court, the driver would receive a fine plus costs.. as a example... by making it a by law, they could simply issue a fine.... this has been getting muted For ages and ages...

I think over ranking is a massive problem for the courts, don't you?

I can't recall anyone ever being taken to court for over ranking but I'm sure somebody can.

Is over ranking that serious that it warrants a day in court? The other side of the coin means that anyone caught over ranking could get an instant ticket of around sixty pounds or even more? That means that sooner or later practically every cabby in the country will be hit at least once with one of these fines.

Councils will employ special taxi wardens to go around and book cabs that are not parked on a taxi rank.

Other than a councillor or LO, only a barm pot would advocate these changes.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:36 pm 

JD wrote:
MR T wrote:

I think over ranking is a massive problem for the courts, don't you?

I can't recall anyone ever being taken to court for over ranking but I'm sure somebody can.

Is over ranking that serious that it warrants a day in court? The other side of the coin means that anyone caught over ranking could get an instant ticket of around sixty pounds or even more? That means that sooner or later practically every cabby in the country will be hit at least once with one of these fines.

Councils will employ special taxi wardens to go around and book cabs that are not parked on a taxi rank.

Other than a councillor or LO, only a barm pot would advocate these changes.

Regards

JD

I agree with JD....and I think the fine will be £75.

£75 quid for not displaying a badge? ffs

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:54 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I agree with JD....and I think the fine will be £75.

£75 quid for not displaying a badge? ffs

CC

If anyone feels these proposals will be of benefit to cab drivers then it would be interesting to read why?

Regards

JD