Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:48 pm
Posts: 2
Hello.

I am about to purchase a Wav vehicle and am torn on what model would best suit my needs?
I am not convinced Citroen, Renault or Peugeot are the best choice for a private hire business. VW's are expensive!!! Can one and or everyone recommend a good all purpose WAV that can seat 5 and has been a good workhorse for them?

Secondly, I am looking at apps to price my journey and to keep a log of my mileage and earnings, once again can anyone recommend one that suits all?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am
Posts: 9952
Location: Maldon, Essex.
Hardwork wrote:
Hello.

I am about to purchase a Wav vehicle and am torn on what model would best suit my needs?
I am not convinced Citroen, Renault or Peugeot are the best choice for a private hire business. VW's are expensive!!! Can one and or everyone recommend a good all purpose WAV that can seat 5 and has been a good workhorse for them?

Secondly, I am looking at apps to price my journey and to keep a log of my mileage and earnings, once again can anyone recommend one that suits all?


You get what you pay for. Buy cheap you'll get problems.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:04 am
Posts: 2555
Nidge2 wrote:
Hardwork wrote:
Hello.

I am about to purchase a Wav vehicle and am torn on what model would best suit my needs?
I am not convinced Citroen, Renault or Peugeot are the best choice for a private hire business. VW's are expensive!!! Can one and or everyone recommend a good all purpose WAV that can seat 5 and has been a good workhorse for them?

Secondly, I am looking at apps to price my journey and to keep a log of my mileage and earnings, once again can anyone recommend one that suits all?


You get what you pay for. Buy cheap you'll get problems.


i concur :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:28 pm
Posts: 164
Look at a Mercedes vito WAV In my opinion one of the best Ive done 250k+ miles in mine without any major costs Down time during My ownership 1,1/2 hours due to starter Motor remember its not only the vehicle cost its the through life costs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:48 pm
Posts: 2
I thought of the Vito and am considering buying one because it would increase the seating capacity and fexability and more importantly my earning potential. I think I will look at the running cost of the Vito. Cheers...

I am looking at Datamaster as a control system although the initial purchase price is high it does have a lot of good feedback, can anyone suggest any other databases that would suit and are user friendly that may be cheaper.

Please Remember I am only just getting this idea off of the drawing board and any advice that could help make this a reality and avoid all the pitfalls of making novice mistakes would be appreciated?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:13 am
Posts: 141
You confuse me when you say that DataMaster is expensive, it's probably the cheapest feature rich dispatch system out there. How many vehicles are in your system?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 18836
Hardwork wrote:
I thought of the Vito and am considering buying one because it would increase the seating capacity and fexability and more importantly my earning potential. I think I will look at the running cost of the Vito. Cheers...

I am looking at Datamaster as a control system although the initial purchase price is high it does have a lot of good feedback, can anyone suggest any other databases that would suit and are user friendly that may be cheaper.

Please Remember I am only just getting this idea off of the drawing board and any advice that could help make this a reality and avoid all the pitfalls of making novice mistakes would be appreciated?

Datamaster is a booking and dispatch system and is very good at doing that job. However if you are a one man band then you will find any system "expensive". Why would you need such a system if you are a one man band because you cant be in the office checking on the bookings and dispatch whilst out driving.
In your original post you wanted something to calculate your fares. Well I still use google maps to get the distance and at it's simplest you just multiply that by your cost per mile. As for your mileage, your car will have a trip mileometer that can do that and just write down your jobs and the fare on a piece of paper.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 10587
Location: Scotland
just use Vodafone red, you get a mobile number with a free virtual landline one,, you can get this on sim only for around £25 a month, then take all calls in the cab like I do, for all fares outside your area, have set fares


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:28 pm
Posts: 164
grandad wrote:
Hardwork wrote:
I thought of the Vito and am considering buying one because it would increase the seating capacity and fexability and more importantly my earning potential. I think I will look at the running cost of the Vito. Cheers...

I am looking at Datamaster as a control system although the initial purchase price is high it does have a lot of good feedback, can anyone suggest any other databases that would suit and are user friendly that may be cheaper.

Please Remember I am only just getting this idea off of the drawing board and any advice that could help make this a reality and avoid all the pitfalls of making novice mistakes would be appreciated?

Datamaster is a booking and dispatch system and is very good at doing that job. However if you are a one man band then you will find any system "expensive". Why would you need such a system if you are a one man band because you cant be in the office checking on the bookings and dispatch whilst out driving.
In your original post you wanted something to calculate your fares. Well I still use google maps to get the distance and at it's simplest you just multiply that by your cost per mile. As for your mileage, your car will have a trip mileometer that can do that and just write down your jobs and the fare on a piece of paper.
I use this site to work out fares its pretty accurate and Free https://yourtaximeter.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group