Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:30 am 

Hello everyone, I’m thinking about getting a Ford Galaxy Titanium 2015 or 2016 model to use as a private hire and Hackney vehicle.

I’ve always driven manual but have driven automatic hire cars.

However I’m not sure whether I should look at buying a manual or automatic gearbox Galaxy. If you could give me any advice about this with advantages and disadvantages. And personal experiences of either would be great.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:51 am 

I prefer driving Manual Vehicles on the open country roads, but when it comes to driving in town where your often caught up in slow moving or stop/go traffic an Automatics far more enjoyable, no riding the clutch etc.

I think the Galaxy has a DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) auto box...these pre select a gear above or below the gear your driving in so regardless of whether you accelerate or decelerate the box already has the next gear ready to drive...makes for a nice smooth box.

My Skoda Superb has a DSG and I love it, it's had no maintainance other than service fluid changes, really cant fault it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:03 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
I prefer driving Manual Vehicles on the open country roads, but when it comes to driving in town where your often caught up in slow moving or stop/go traffic an Automatics far more enjoyable, no riding the clutch etc.

I think the Galaxy has a DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) auto box...these pre select a gear above or below the gear your driving in so regardless of whether you accelerate or decelerate the box already has the next gear ready to drive...makes for a nice smooth box.

My Skoda Superb has a DSG and I love it, it's had no maintainance other than service fluid changes, really cant fault it.

I really like Skoda Superbs. Drove them for the past 10 years. Would have gone for another one but my family requirements mean I need a 7 seater now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:17 pm 

Everyone I know who has one of these has had nothing but trouble with the auto gearbox.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:29 pm 

JAnders81 wrote:
Hello everyone, I’m thinking about getting a Ford Galaxy Titanium 2015 or 2016 model to use as a private hire and Hackney vehicle.

best decide which before buying.................