Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Central locking problems
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:13 pm 

Hi
We've just picked up a 95 Fairway for private use but we're having a problem with the central locking. I understand that unlocking the drivers door should also unlock all the other doors? At the moment I'm unable to unlock either of the rear doors from the outside, and they will only open from the inside when the engine is switched off...

When I turn on the ignition there is a clicking noise from the rear doors, followed by another click a couple of seconds later. I also hear the click if I push the brake pedal but the rear doors seem to be stuck in the locked position. The central locking button below the dash also does nothing.

I've replaced the two fuses related to locking on the fusebox layout in the handbook. The when i take out the 3A door lock fuse (B6) the clicking doesnt happen, so I guess that fuse is OK. When I take out the 20A Cent lock. fuse (C5) I still get the clicking, so not sure what this fuse is for?

I'm assuming the problem is related to the central locking relay, but have no idea where it is!

Any help / suggestions would be very much appreciated

Thanks
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:13 am 

The clicking is the motion lock system checking itself. The motion locks come on as the vehicle moves more than about 2mph and when you put your foot on the brake (with an audible clicking). The central locking is a different system. Has the 20A fuse blown?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 am 

thanks, I've replaced the 20A fuse but still not working. I found the central locking relay but it's just an empty shell with the actual relay bit all missing, so I guess that's the cause.
I assume the central locking wiring may have been in some way connected to the meter, and when the meter was removed before sale the wiring was just left.

Fingers crossed a new relay should sort it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:07 pm 

you will also find that the central locking is controlled by another brainbox behind and on the left hand side of the dash. u will have to remove the "glovebox" to get a look (only two philips screws as i recall). This diagram shows it very well, listed as component number 2 on the page. saw one for sale on ebay for £15 the other day. They are prone due to being under one of the windscreens most favorite places to drip water! http://www.ourmaninbaghdad.net/taxi/tax ... ngscan.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 pm 

thanks for your help - just fitted a new relay and all working as it should

thanks
Matt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:14 pm 

Sorry to hijack the thread guys but I am trying to find out where the C/L module is on my '97 Fairway. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:12 pm 

A friend of mine just bought a fairway and the central locking operated as he got outy with the keys in the ignition.
He took one of the side windows out and climbed in to release the doors from the inside by poking around through the sliding partition window with a stick.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:52 pm 

A broom works well by pulling down the inner handle. You get some interesting looks when poking around via the sliding window. Meh!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:14 pm 

I locked myself out of an old Mk1 cortina once. I was amazed at the number of things that would open the lock,scissors,thick feeler gauges,pen knife,screwdriver etc etc. It hardly seemed worthwhile to lock it after that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 pm 

Baconsdozen wrote:
I locked myself out of an old Mk1 cortina once. I was amazed at the number of things that would open the lock,scissors,thick feeler gauges,pen knife,screwdriver etc etc. It hardly seemed worthwhile to lock it after that.

You dont even need a key to start the old 110 landrovers, and you dont have to cut any wires :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:32 pm 

daltonm wrote:
thanks for your help - just fitted a new relay and all working as it should

thanks
Matt

I have this problem with a tx2 which one is the relay , I tried that link but I isn’t there .