UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The end is nigh
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:57 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39088631

Post subject: Re: The end is nigh
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:00 pm 

An excuse for the Tories to hike taxes again. I bet there's a load of petrol they need shifting due to people not buying petrol cars. Same old Tories.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:47 am 

Its all a con job, due to diesels getting on average nearly 50% more MPG, and they are loosing millions in revenues
I had my VW fix Skoda superb tested before and after the the update, its emissions are even lower now

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:38 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
Its all a con job, due to diesels getting on average nearly 50% more MPG, and they are loosing millions in revenues
I had my VW fix Skoda superb tested before and after the the update, its emissions are even lower now

Don't forget diesel is a waste product of petrol refining. Also don't forget that petrol and diesel account for only a small proportion of refining oil there are 6,000 items that are made from petroleum waste. Are you getting the message yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_product

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:49 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
skippy41 wrote:

Don't forget diesel is a waste product of petrol refining. Also don't forget that petrol and diesel account for only a small proportion of refining oil there are 6,000 items that are made from petroleum waste. Are you getting the message yet?

You cant refine diesel AND petrol from the same gallon of crude, its 1 or the other

the uk's refineries were all built before the diesel car boom

we didnt have private diesel cars 25 years ago to any extent

the refineries cant be changed

so now we only produce 48 weeks worth of diesel per year and have inport diesel....and crude

this is why diesel is dearer at the pumps. and there is a glut of unsold petrol

blame the public who drive 5000 miles a year but MUST have a 60mpg diesel car (which does about 40mpg if they checked), cost £2000 more than a petrol to buy, costs 20p/ltr more for fuel and the earth to service/repair...dont even mention a DPF, EGR or DMF... they just see 60mpg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:04 pm 

Quote:
You cant refine diesel AND petrol from the same gallon of crude, its 1 or the other

Yes you can

http://science.howstuffworks.com/enviro ... ining2.htm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:05 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
skippy41 wrote:

the uk's refineries were all built before the diesel car boom

we didnt have private diesel cars 25 years ago to any extent

the refineries cant be changed

so now we only produce 48 weeks worth of diesel per year and have inport diesel....and crude

this is why diesel is dearer at the pumps. and there is a glut of unsold petrol

blame the public who drive 5000 miles a year but MUST have a 60mpg diesel car (which does about 40mpg if they checked), cost £2000 more than a petrol to buy, costs 20p/ltr more for fuel and the earth to service/repair...dont even mention a DPF, EGR or DMF... they just see 60mpg

Most of the diesel round here comes from Holland. It's piped via the underground fuel network into bunker sites round here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:33 am 

ritish motorists are facing a potential “diesel drought” because the country has too few refineries capable of producing the fuel, the RAC Foundation has warned.

Demand for diesel fuel has grown by 76pc over the past 20 years as more consumers have shifted to the traditionally more economical option.

But the RAC Foundation is warning that by 2030 diesel will outsell petrol in service stations by four litres to one. As more refineries are shut down and existing facilities not updated, this will mean that the UK will become increasingly dependent on imports.

Steve Gooding, director of the RAC Foundation, said: “Today, every other car bought is a diesel, but our refineries have struggled to keep pace with demand and have not attracted the investment they need to switch over from petrol production.”

According to the RAC Foundation, in 2009 there were nine major refineries in the UK but today there are six, with many of these up for sale.

The potential shortfall in domestic diesel supplies is also due to some older refineries being configured to produce petrol rather than diesel, said the foundation.

Refining in the UK is in decline. New investment has fallen into updating facilities capable of processing new fuels, which comply with European Union emissions regulations.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:34 am 

“Most of our refineries – some of which are more than half a century old – were built when diesel was a niche product. Retrofitting them is a billion-pound decision that has failed to stack up for investors who see refining as a low-margin business despite our sky-high pump prices,” said Mr Gooding.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:54 am 

As a result of a reducing demand of these products, refineries now produce an excess of petrol and fuel (heavy) oil but are in deficit in others, such as jet fuel and diesel.

Petrol prices should fall as diesel rises over the next 1 to 2 years