UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hybrid cars
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 pm 

MR T wrote:
:---) :---)
Sussex wrote:
I have the greenest Mondeo diesel engine they make, i.e. no car tax.

Around the town I get about 50 mpg, on a run about 70 mpg.

https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/new-car ... est-drive/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:54 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I have the greenest Mondeo diesel engine they make, i.e. no car tax.

Around the town I get about 50 mpg, on a run about 70 mpg.

I thought 65mpg and £20/year road tax meant my car was green..

boy was I wrong

I see Jeep have now been caught on the emissions cheat too

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:06 am 

and what we've got here
http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/toyota/auris/driving

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:50 pm 

Top Gear don't like anything that doesn't go round a test track sideways at 150mph or can't hit 60 in less than 4 seconds. The reviewer probably had the car for half a day and the first thing they did was floor it and straight away think 'I dont like this'.

The engine isn't 'raucous' unless you floor the pedal, which you'll very rarely do, hence why they only managed 49mpg. The CVT box is as smooth as silk and a better drive than a manual/diesel combination, as commented many times by my passengers, some even saying it's smoother than their BMW/Merc.

The point Top Gear miss is you don't drive them like you do normal cars, you make small adjustments to get the most of the economy, which it is designed to do. Drive it like a boy racer and you defeat the entire reason for getting a hybrid !

And as for them saying 'the 1.4 diesel is a preferable all round car' ha,ha,ha,ha - I doubt they've even driven one. Less power, less torque, handling is worse, equipment spec is lower, terrible fuel economy. Everyone I know (including me) whos got an Auris hybrid absolutely loves them, best car they've ever owned, the handful that got the diesel variant hate them and wouldnt get another.

Who's opinion would you trust more, that of loads of taxi drivers who actually own and use daily a hybrid, or a magazine reviewer used to driving luxury hypercars costing £m's whos only driven one for a few hours ?

But make your own mind up, ask other drivers you meet what they think of their hybrid and how it compares to other cars they've owned, and try one out yourself - take one for a test drive and come to your own conclusions. In fact anyone sensible considering buying a new car would go for a test drive in a Mondeo/Skoda/VW/whatever and choose what suits their needs best taking all the different factors into account.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 pm 

sasha wrote:
The CVT box is as smooth as silk and a better drive than a manual/diesel combination, as commented many times by my passengers, some even saying it's smoother than their BMW/Merc.

This has been mentioned by customers in our Prius.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:32 pm 

Quote:
The CVT box is as smooth as silk and a better drive than a manual/diesel combination, as commented many times by my passengers

Like a leccy milk float then

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:13 am 

sasha wrote:
Who's opinion would you trust more, that of loads of taxi drivers who actually own and use daily a hybrid, or a magazine reviewer used to driving luxury hypercars costing £m's whos only driven one for a few hours ?

as i'm a taxi driver myself for over half of my life i know taxi drivers opinions and reasons for their opinions... talking b0llocks is the top one, proving that they're right, most common, proving that they bought the best car ever made - the top of the tops... been there, seen that... if you want real good car must be fully electric not some sh1te halfway... or bl00dy diesel...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:55 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Quote:
The CVT box is as smooth as silk and a better drive than a manual/diesel combination, as commented many times by my passengers

A well executed manual gear change can be just as smooth and virtually unnoticeable...the problem Is some folk are just rough as fcuk when it comes to changing gears,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:23 pm 

o-marek wrote:
sasha wrote:

as i'm a taxi driver myself for over half of my life i know taxi drivers opinions and reasons for their opinions... talking b0llocks is the top one, proving that they're right, most common, proving that they bought the best car ever made - the top of the tops...
You're right. I'm an absolute idiot, wasted my time going on test drives and comparing different vehicles before making a decision. Should have just gone and got a Mondeo and saved myself all the hassle. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:14 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
Quote:

A well executed manual gear change can be just as smooth and virtually unnoticeable...the problem Is some folk are just rough as fcuk when it comes to changing gears,

I bet i can equal or beat the CVT box for smoothness despite having big feet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:41 pm 

sasha wrote:
Should have just gone and got a Mondeo and saved myself all the hassle. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:15 pm 

sasha wrote:
o-marek wrote:
sasha wrote:

as i'm a taxi driver myself for over half of my life i know taxi drivers opinions and reasons for their opinions... talking b0llocks is the top one, proving that they're right, most common, proving that they bought the best car ever made - the top of the tops...
You're right. I'm an absolute idiot, wasted my time going on test drives and comparing different vehicles before making a decision.
Quote:
Should have just gone and got a Mondeo and saved myself all the hassle.
:wink:

Until it goes wrong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:52 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
Until it goes wrong

The thing about a Ford is the mahoosive knowledge base out there plus any greasy back street garage can fix a ford and the spares are on the shelf at a decent price

Camshaft sensor for my 55 plate 130ps ... £15, same for my Chevrolet £60

Diagnostic....I had the F-super DIY kit for £15..........Chevrolet....80 mile round trip to an EX dealer and £40

5hitroens fail at an alarming rate

My Mondeos VGT got bunged up....new turbo £600............30 minutes on Talkford, can of mr Muscle, sorted for £20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:37 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
5hitroens fail at an alarming rate

Mrs Sussex's boss's dad has just signed a deal to build them in India.

So maybe they will be better soon. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:34 pm 

I have been driving the new prius for 9 months here what i think.. my previous cabs.. pug 406..mondeo.. TX4.. Pug partner auto WAV..
i shall be honest.. i am not in the prius fan club.. longs i earn my money.. and it makes my drive easier.. i am happy

LOOKS- ulgy looking thing from the back, looks nice from the front bit like my missis..
DRIVE - I work PH in a bristol, drives nice.. great city cab..The gearbox feels good cant even notice a change. dont even feel like i have done a shift in it.. sod manuals in a city.. really nice comfortable drive.. nice seating position.. its a nippy car doesnt drive like a MILK FLOAT... plenty of room for a mid range cab.

The driver aids on it are pretty could.. Brake assist does the job.. sees the car in front sudden braking and warns you to brake if you dont brake..it will brake for you.. and it works a treat

Price i got the same price as cabdirect.. got it from the dealer they matched it with 3 services included..
MpG 60-70mpretty good.. even feels good bogged down in slow traffic..no engine running

It comes into its own in traffic.. on a 8-10hr day shift the the car is running in electric 50/60 percent of the shift.. wear and tare and the engine is halved compared to a standard diesel..
Anyway i am happy with it does the job.. Diesel are on the way out... well they are in bristol.. any new PH or hack plated after april 2018 will have to be hybrid/ultra low emmissions.. ALL DIESEL will be Banned from the city..

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/council-ba ... story.html