Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:24 am 

Before I licensed my vehicle i bought it with a Cat S previously damaged, Informed the council they didnt have a issue and vehicle has been licensed last 2 years and has had 2 renewal inspections which it passed, the vehicle age limit expires in 2026 and now the council has informed me due to a new policy which started in July 2021 they will not Renew or license and vehicle which has a previous Category unless it is CAT N,

Can they do this to vehicles which have already been licensed and renewed by the council previously?

Also i know of a few vehicles which have been Cat D,C,S which the council has Licensed / Renewed since July 2021

Surely if the policy is new it shouldn't affect Vehicles already licensed but only should affect new vehicles registered after the policy has been introduced?

Please as much help would be appreciated as my vehicle Renewal date expires mid February and i cant possible afford to purchase a new vehicle which will cost me min £15-20,000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:13 pm 

rashid wrote:
Before I licensed my vehicle i bought it with a Cat S previously damaged, Informed the council they didnt have a issue and vehicle has been licensed last 2 years and has had 2 renewal inspections which it passed, the vehicle age limit expires in 2026 and now the council has informed me due to a new policy which started in July 2021 they will not Renew or license and vehicle which has a previous Category unless it is CAT N,

Can they do this to vehicles which have already been licensed and renewed by the council previously?

Also i know of a few vehicles which have been Cat D,C,S which the council has Licensed / Renewed since July 2021

Surely if the policy is new it shouldn't affect Vehicles already licensed but only should affect new vehicles registered after the policy has been introduced?

Please as much help would be appreciated as my vehicle Renewal date expires mid February and i cant possible afford to purchase a new vehicle which will cost me min £15-20,000

Isn’t Wolverhampton the new place to go for anybody in the country to get licensed or have I got that wrong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:41 am 

Remind me what your council is?

Also all those letters mean nothing to me, is it an emissions change of policy or age?

In other words what's new?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:58 am 

They're cars written-off for insurance purposes, and I think the categories have been updated recently, so the letters Rashid is using include those from the old and new categories. Seems to be plenty of stuff available via Google though, but not something I'm that familiar with, so will leave it to others to do their own research.

(Of course, the easily found information is about cars generally, not those licensed for hire and reward.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:59 am 

Rashid wrote:

So have you asked them why your Category S hasn't been renewed, but other Category C and S vehicles have?

Email them and get it in writing.

(The new Category S is the same as the old Category C. The new Category N, which the council is allowing, is the same as the old Category D, which is why the council will still be allowing them.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:17 am 

But, in a nutshell, Rashid's car was classed as 'structurally damaged but repairable'. So, on the information provided, the questions are:

1 Is it reasonable for the council to plate such a car, but then change policy while the car is plated and say its licence can't be rewewed?

2 Why is the council allowing some such cars to be plated or renewed, but not others like Rashid's?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:10 am 

https://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/licences/taxi-licences Vehicle Licence Requirements Policy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:19 am 

its Milton Keynes council

What I'm saying is councils new policy since July 2021 is it will not issue any new or renewal applications for Private / hackney vehicles if they are any Insurance wright off category C, D, S etc unless it is a Category N,

But when I first licensed my Category S vehicle i had no issue and since the I have had 2 renewal inspections and no issues but now the council are saying they will not renewal vehicle as it is category S.

But as the policy was introduced after my vehicle had been licensed surely it shouldn't be for existing vehicles but any vehicle licensed after the policy was introduced?

Also from a personal investigation I know of least 5 vehicles currently which have been given licenses since July 2021 which have been Insurance wright off category's C, D & S?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:26 am 

StuartW wrote:
But, in a nutshell, Rashid's car was classed as 'structurally damaged but repairable'. So, on the information provided, the questions are:

1 Is it reasonable for the council to plate such a car, but then change policy while the car is plated and say its licence can't be rewewed?

2 Why is the council allowing some such cars to be plated or renewed, but not others like Rashid's?

yes thank you, These are my exact questions?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:16 am 

This copied from the AA site:

A new version of the ABI Salvage Code of Practice came into effect from 1 October 2017. This still defines 4 categories of salvage but they're described and defined differently.

Old salvage categories

A Scrap or crush only, no economically salvageable parts, e.g. total burnouts
B Break for spares and crush body-shell or chassis.
C Repairable but repair costs exceed pre-accident value.
D Repairable but repair costs don't exceed pre-accident value

New salvage categories

A Scrap – complete vehicle crushed without any components being removed.
B Break – body-shell/chassis crushed without any structural components being removed.
S Structurally damaged but repairable.
N Non-structurally damaged but repairable.

You might also hear the terms 'actual loss' to describe categories A and B, and 'constructive loss' to describe C and D (S and N).

So, if your car is written off by your insurance company, the level of damage is divided into four clear categories. Firstly, Categories A and B, where the vehicle is beyond repair and must never return to the road.

Secondly, Categories C and D (S and N), for those that can be repaired, but where the cost of doing so might be more than the car is worth. How insurers make these decisions and what happens next can raise a lot of questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:41 pm 

Yes what I'm trying to get at is

how can council license such vehicle then say with new policy cant renew license when in fact vehicle age limit still has 4 years?

surely new policy should be to anyone who newly licenses a vehicle after policy was introduced not existing?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:46 pm 

rashid wrote:
Also from a personal investigation I know of least 5 vehicles currently which have been given licenses since July 2021 which have been Insurance wright off category's C, D & S?

Ignore the Ds, because they're the least damaged category and effectively the same as the Ns, thus still allowed.

So if you're correct in your investgations, then ask the council why they're allowing other Cs and Ss to be plated, but not yours?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:54 pm 

And is the policy shown anywhere on the MKC website?

Had a quick look at the council's HC and PH Licensing Policy document, plus the 'Guide for licensing your vehicle in MK', and can't see any mention of insurance write-off categories, but maybe I'm missing something:

https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/assets ... 1-v10_.pdf

https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/assets ... ehicle.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:31 pm 

MK has a horrible horrible website that must have been designed by children, however the link below leads to the minutes of a Regulatory meeting on 28/10/20.

There it says that the top licensing councillor has, following a request from a trade member, agreed that if a vehicle has been licensed prior to 01/03/20 it would be licensed until it reached the age of 10 years. That is crystal clear and has no A, B or D or E, or whatever caveats.

https://milton-keynes.cmis.uk.com/milto ... Ff55vVA%3d

That, in my opinion, creates a 'legitimate expectation' that your vehicle will be licensed until it is 10 years old, providing it passes its yearly tests.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:10 pm 

I think I would be asking your licensing department whether or not they consider the testing stations are capable of doing the their job as to whether or not the vehicle is fit to be on the road, in your case I would offer to have it inspected by a fully qualified vehicle inspector as to whether the vehicle is Road safe, you must have a insurance assessor around locally