Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:51 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
My point is though that "cutting deals" is not good enough.

If the area needs more taxis then work out how many and get them on quick sharp, but do it properly and make every effort to attempt to get the numbers right. If they don't and their is still a shortfall then do it again.

Its the ONLY FAIR WAY.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Why?

thats the big test Mick why do councils limit by numbers?

well Halifax do it so they dont have to provide more rank space, says so in the papers.

most councils dont know why they restrict, but its unlawfull to do so for reasons you give.

Brighton and tothers restrict because they always have done, since it was done because the council had to ensure there was enough stables for horses impounded

Gateshead follow the rules of a modern era,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:54 am 
Sussex wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Derestriction without survey, consultation and proper thought is WRONG.

By all accounts a very fine report was compiled by the LO. In it was chapter and verse of many consultations with the trade, and constomers. I believe they even had a poll on their website. But don't tell Yorkie. :roll:

Thus the committee meeting just rubber stamped the report, and a good rubber stamp it was, in my honest opinion. :-$

polls are ok arnet they Sussex, but only when they agree with you!

facist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:56 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
My point is though that "cutting deals" is not good enough.

If the area needs more taxis then work out how many and get them on quick sharp, but do it properly and make every effort to attempt to get the numbers right. If they don't and their is still a shortfall then do it again.

Its the ONLY FAIR WAY.

fair to whom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:30 am 
Yorkie the only people who benefit from derestriction are the council and the large operators.

The large operators have adequate finances to purchase large amounts of suitable vehicles, individuals do not and so rasnks are flooded reducing the take of each driver. This in turn then forces owner drivers to work the large operators circuit which gives them even more power and more money to buy more vehicles to force more drivers onto their circuit.

People like Sussex, with a inferiority complex, want to work PH with a HC vehicle, who does that benefit other than them?

Its the same crack in every thread, spoilt child syndrome, GIVE ME WHAT I WANT, without any mention of doing something diferently for the consumer, the call is always WHY CAN'T I DO WHAT SOMEONE ELSE DOES, without realising that something different to what is currently offered needs to be provided. This will not be achieved by just releasing plates, people will just work the way everyone else does, and the consumer see's little benefit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:24 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Yorkie the only people who benefit from derestriction are the council and the large operators.

The large operators have adequate finances to purchase large amounts of suitable vehicles, individuals do not and so rasnks are flooded reducing the take of each driver. This in turn then forces owner drivers to work the large operators circuit which gives them even more power and more money to buy more vehicles to force more drivers onto their circuit.

People like Sussex, with a inferiority complex, want to work PH with a HC vehicle, who does that benefit other than them?

Its the same crack in every thread, spoilt child syndrome, GIVE ME WHAT I WANT, without any mention of doing something diferently for the consumer, the call is always WHY CAN'T I DO WHAT SOMEONE ELSE DOES, without realising that something different to what is currently offered needs to be provided. This will not be achieved by just releasing plates, people will just work the way everyone else does, and the consumer see's little benefit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:24 pm 
Gateshead Angel wrote:

yes yes yes we all know about Sussex he repeats his posts as well, lets join in, that bloody SUSSEX WHO TWISTED THE ARMS OF THE oft, AND WROTE EUROPES COMPETITION LAW, hes a right [edited by admin], we must at all costs stop HIM getting a plate.

but lets get back to basics here numbers of taxis have no connection with drivers earnings and never have had.

thats why if you carry on in this vein in Gateshead town hall you cannot close the gap, quite simply the council cannot refuse licenses for that reason.

and yes Sussex is still a [edited by admin] its all his fault, he must be over 130 years old, take care not to hurt the old man.cos thats where the law originated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:24 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:

So issuing more plates lead to customers getting a worse service. :-k

Right !!! :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:58 pm 

Quote:
So issuing more plates lead to customers getting a worse service.

Our only real point of difference :wink:

I dont think anyone knows if it leads to a better service, however saying that, take the permit value out of the equasion, would the voices against it be so strong?

Although, I do think GA is honest and he would perhaps still raise question.

hehe hows that for a middle of the road answer :wink:

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:20 am 
Sussex wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:

So issuing more plates lead to customers getting a worse service. :-k

Right !!! :-k

Sussex, I said the customers recieve LITTLE benefit.

You have twisted my words in an attempt to sustain your own argument.

The reason I say this is because if drivers are forced to work through operators then fewer cars could be available on the ranks with more people getting a HC at their door when pre-booking. Therefore the answer to stopping or meeting unmet demand is to make vehicles available for the pre-booked market and form new policies to ensure that they become more reliable, if a customer can pre-book with confidence when they come out of the nightclub then they would do so, the reason they don't is because drivers choose to illegally ply for hire or take a better fare. Now thats working to the benefit of the consumer innit.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:56 am 
Yorkie wrote:
but lets get back to basics here numbers of taxis have no connection with drivers earnings and never have had.

So what your saying is that if the number of taxis matched the number of users then the drivers earings would be the same as if the number of taxis were a quarter of the number of users.

Always been bollox that Geoff, its based on ONLY jockies taking plates but reliying on them working the same hours.

Listen mate, Halifax needs MORE taxis, as does many other areas accross the UK, but don't try and tell me this [edited by admin] any more. Halifax has 30 odd taxis we have now over 300, there is no way a comparison can be drawn between the two areas, other than neither council gives a flyingfuck.

Are you just concerned that if councils rerestrict your council won't derestrict?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:07 am 

Gateshead Angel wrote:

Well little is better than none, but non plate-holders get a large benefit.

Still it's nice to see that the T&G have forgotten their past, and now support the bosses. [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:08 am 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
The reason I say this is because if drivers are forced to work through operators then fewer cars could be available on the ranks with more people getting a HC at their door when pre-booking.

No, they are not forced to do anything, they choose to do it.

As opposed to non plate-holders who have no choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:14 am 
Sussex wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:

Well little is better than none, but non plate-holders get a large benefit.

Still it's nice to see that the T&G have forgotten their past, and now support the bosses. [-(

What has the T&G got to do with my posts on here Sussex.

Benefit to the consumer is what is important, and that is probably why your council have not been convinced by your self indulgant arguement for derestriction.

I don't think that "bosses" control the taxi sector at the moment in Gateshead, but by allowing the "bosses" access to more and more plates the "bosses" come closer to control.

You don't see the bigger picture Sussex, just a plate with your name on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:40 pm 

Quote:
I don't think that "bosses" control the taxi sector at the moment in Gateshead, but by allowing the "bosses" access to more and more plates the "bosses" come closer to control.

Im not going to disagree with you, your situation is different to ours.

We have found that about 90% of vehicles are now owner driver controlled.

This has led to large problems as nobody knows when they are coming to work!

I dont understand how you think giving the bosses access to more plates will lead them to greater control, surely if bosses have access it follows that owner drivers do too.

Also, would you not think that if a boss gets a plate, then he must first find a driver and a car.

We find that the shortages are due to people who would normally go and work for someone, getting easy finance then a plate.

Regards

Captain cab