Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Oh dear me!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:38 am 
Hello everyone :D
Last week I attended a "Taxi Working Party" meeting in Gateshead, I was shocked by some of the requests from Gatesheads Largest PH operator.
As normal we asked the council to review their plate policy as more and more of our branch members are suffering financial hardship. The Chairman of the meeting Mr Richard Ferry, explained that he was inundated with requests for HC vehicle and driver licenses which proved unmet demand.

The representatives from Dean Taxis in Gateshead called for the council to attatch conditions to the WAV HC plates to force them to work for a Licensed Operator, as since deregulation the company had struggled to attract new drivers and was struggling to cover their work, particular emphasis was placed upon the work from the disabled community. We suggested that he just plated WAVs as PH, something he objected to as he wouldn't be able to charge drivers of PH WAVs as much as he charges drivers of HC WAVs.
We then suggested that Dean Taxis should support our application to temporarily suspend HC licenses, then everyone who was inundating Mr Ferry for licenses would then have to licence PH and as their office was the largest operator the majority would approach them for work, we recieved no response.

Now I don't know what you lot will think of either the applications from this operator or the conclusions expressed by the council, but I find it quite worrying, if it is going to be the case that market forces should dictate HC numbers surely every aspect of that should be accepted without trying to move the goalposts when things don't go the large operators way. Much emphasis was placed upon the commercial decisions leading to applications, not much thought went into whats best for the drivers or for that matter the punters.

Anyway, I'm not used to typing so much now, I hope everyone is well and making s**tloads of cash and I hope everyone has a great Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:25 am 
"this site is full of dreamers dreaming dreams, maybe when they wake up the world will be a better place"

Deans best way forward is to convert thier offices into a shop selling fast tan?

it seams thats what the rest of Gateshead drivers are doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:22 am 
Just what you need when you can't sleep.

Some diddlywack with a grudge spoiling for a fight.

Instant Tan not fast Tan you prat, and I'm doing quite nicely thank you very much. New product range hitting the shops end of NOV ready to make me a mint for Xmas.

Hope your........................ nah actually I don't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:16 am 

I don't think an operator trying to do the best for an operator is such a surprise.

However, you are trying to get new drivers to go on his circuit, whereas the status-quo allows them to work the streets without a radio.

It would appear you are his best friend. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:34 am 
I don't think its strange that an operator would make such a suggestion but I'm supprised by the comments of the council. Being inundated with requests for licenses certainly proves a demand for licenses but its doesn't prove consumer unmet demand for taxis, maybe like the operator they are thinking more of the extra money they could raise.

More applications like this will come in from accross the country, we have already discussed calls for more vehicles from another operator, maybe if delimitation doesn't deliver the amount of drivers wanted similar requests will be made.

This is exactly why I believe delimitation will not work for the best interest of the consumer, sure initially it will be great for a proportion of PH drivers wishing to get a HC plate, however I think that their desires are misplaced, with an idea they will take more money. All I can say is that over this weekend, as every other, our office was busy long before and long after the ranks were, the HC lads at our office never even touched the ranks.
I asked one of the HC lads to count the number of journeys he did last week, I did more and took more money for less miles and spent signifigantly less on fuel, he is now considering selling his WAV and getting another PH saloon, something a lot of drivers are considering.

I know you will argue that market forces have "set the limit" and I would agree that that is appearing to be the case, however a lot of drivers have entered into financial agreements to buy their WAVs and are now stuck with repayments so high they would have to be assured of signifigantly more work if they were to justify the extra payment if they were to join an office, work that just isn't there when the ranks are quiet.

Maybe this is different accross the country, but surely local councils should be doing whatever they can, instead of being forced to remove limits on HC without proper investigation to clearly identify the demands of the public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:07 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Just what you need when you can't sleep.

Some diddlywack with a grudge spoiling for a fight.

Instant Tan not fast Tan you prat, and I'm doing quite nicely thank you very much. New product range hitting the shops end of NOV ready to make me a mint for Xmas.

Hope your........................ nah actually I don't

what suprises me is that someone so busy can actualy do thier best for taxi drivers.

What deans are asking for is not lawfull but then again Mick, so is lots of things you ask for.

Deans were just winding you up, and making a suttle point, pity you cannot see it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:14 am 
Yorkie wrote:
what suprises me is that someone so busy can actualy do thier best for taxi drivers.

I said I was doing well you spoon, not that I was "so busy". Running a "business" is far less time consuming than driving a HC but you knew that allready.
The weakest argument anyone can give is "we didn't really want it, we were just winding you up" total BS.

You retain your hatred of me cause I tell the truth and inform people of your dreams of domination, hows the taxibus scheme working out, have you got your subsody cheque through yet, have you raised your drivers pay up to more than minimum wage, I doubt it.

What I do for the membership of my branch is exactly what they tell me ....... I don't assume to know better than them and so don't dictate what should happen.

You on the other hand consider that you represent the drivers who you pay, and that you have their best interest at heart when in fact the only thing you have consideration for is your own best interest. I would love to talk to some of your drivers, I recon they think your a prat as I do, but remember you pay their wages so they'll tell you what you want to hear.

Now be a good boy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:22 pm 
No wonder this item was titled "oh dear me".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:38 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
What I do for the membership of my branch is exactly what they tell me ....... I don't assume to know better than them and so don't dictate what should happen.

I'm not sure that's good leadership. :shock:

Most drivers in this trade haven't got a bloody clue bless them. So good leadership is giving good advice and pointing out the flaws in certain proposals.

It would appear that the T&G go along with stupid suggestions to gain membership, not to do what's best for the trade.

The buffoons have taken over from the dinosaurs. :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:29 pm 

pointing out flaws is TANtamount to constructive critisism, heaven forbid.

unfortunately I think we find that a lot of leadership within the taxi trade is similar to generals in the first world war, "Forward men, I'm right behind you", six miles behind you that is. (ty blackadder)

i dont really think its ethical from someone outside the trade to deal on behalf of the trade though.

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:40 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Yorkie wrote:

I said I was doing well you spoon, not that I was "so busy". Running a "business" is far less time consuming than driving a HC but you knew that allready.
The weakest argument anyone can give is "we didn't really want it, we were just winding you up" total BS.

You retain your hatred of me cause I tell the truth and inform people of your dreams of domination, hows the taxibus scheme working out, have you got your subsody cheque through yet, have you raised your drivers pay up to more than minimum wage, I doubt it.

You on the other hand consider that you represent the drivers who you pay, and that you have their best interest at heart when in fact the only thing you have consideration for is your own best interest. I would love to talk to some of your drivers, I recon they think your a prat as I do, but remember you pay their wages so they'll tell you what you want to hear.

Now be a good boy.

No Mick hate is not the word, I have watched as you moaned like hell when you purtt things forward the council could not comply with now Deans are doing it you are up in arms?

the rest of your drivel has [edited by admin] all to do with you, except my drivers earn more than they would at any other firm and of course more than me.

deans are winding you up they know that the proposal is so off beam it cannot be accepted and thats the difference bettween you.

when we start out branch in tyne and wear I will invite you round to see the boys who will sport a proper tan, and not a wash off one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:43 am 
Sussex wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:

I'm not sure that's good leadership. :shock:

Most drivers in this trade haven't got a bloody clue bless them. So good leadership is giving good advice and pointing out the flaws in certain proposals.

It would appear that the T&G go along with stupid suggestions to gain membership, not to do what's best for the trade.

The buffoons have taken over from the dinosaurs. :-k

Sussex dont, please

let him display his total ignorance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:37 pm 
Yorkie wrote:
No Mick hate is not the word, I have watched as you moaned like hell when you purtt things forward the council could not comply with

Like what, a restriction on the number of HC licenses? or a temporary suspension of new licenses, pending an unmet demand survey and proper consultation with the trade.

You mentioned a Tyne and Wear Branch of something ............. obviously your not aware that Tyne & Wear no longer exists.

Still send me an invite and I'll attend.
gateshead.angel@virgin.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:34 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
No Mick hate is not the word, I have watched as you moaned like hell when you purtt things forward the council could not comply with

Like what, a restriction on the number of HC licenses? or a temporary suspension of new licenses, pending an unmet demand survey and proper consultation with the trade.

You mentioned a Tyne and Wear Branch of something ............. obviously your not aware that Tyne & Wear no longer exists.

Still send me an invite and I'll attend.
gateshead.angel@virgin.net

yes both those will do for a start but there are many, many others
Gatehead have not the paperwork to do that, but putting more saloons on thats another

so Tyne and Wear does not exist? for gods sake dont tell the department of transport they gave it £40 million transport grant last year.