Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:35 pm 

Hi

Interesting question, I've got a nice little burger van near Gatwick that I hang around but I was wondering if there is any official waiting areas for cabbies at the airports?

Gatwick (as mentioned) is a doddle, unless you know of an official taxi waiting area I'm not really worried. Heathrow however frequently sees me running up and down the motorway doing u-turns at junctions to burn time :lol: Only done luton once and so far never done a Stanstead run so not worried but it would be nice to know for the future.

So go on cabsters, tell me the hiding places!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:55 pm 

mileage wrote:
Hi

Interesting question, I've got a nice little burger van near Gatwick that I hang around but I was wondering if there is any official waiting areas for cabbies at the airports?

Gatwick (as mentioned) is a doddle, unless you know of an official taxi waiting area I'm not really worried. Heathrow however frequently sees me running up and down the motorway doing u-turns at junctions to burn time :lol: Only done luton once and so far never done a Stanstead run so not worried but it would be nice to know for the future.

Edinburgh has a wee take away cafe round by the General Aviation side of the perimeter, It's good for a cup of tea and sandwich..unless it's shifted in the last couple of weeks, and there's usually somewhere you can stop round there until your needed by your client.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:00 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Luton: you can go onto the mid stay car park for 30 minutes free or there is an access road to a hotel just off the last roundabout before the terminal where most wait.

Birmingham anywhere on wednesday night there were about 30 cars on the RED LINES approaching the drop off car park no sign of the police moving them on I normally nip to the short stay at International station and check the flight if it's late I go down to Hampton in Arden where there is a sports field and complex with a big car park usually quiet

Stansted there is the services or a BP Connect just off the last but one roundabout

Heathrow and Gatwick I always add a bit on for car parking so go on the short stay

East Midland services are less than a mile form terminal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:21 pm 

BHX and EMA I wait at home till flights shows landed on teletext, my drive in takes about as long as passport control the luggage carousel takes.... both are 40 minutes from home.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:25 pm 

LHR - Wait in McD's on A4 until landed then into short stay.

LGW - Wait in McD's near south terminal until landed then into short stay.

In both cases a £5 parking surcharge normally produces a profit if you time it right.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:44 pm 

mileage wrote:

Macdonalds at Heathrow and Gatwick, and the service station right next to Stanstead.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:44 am 

Heathrow

Terminals 1, 3 - as mentioned, McDonalds Bath Road, or Mondial Way (the side roads around McDonalds), most of the various hotels along the Bath Road do give free parking for half-hour, Harlington Playing Fields down Sipson Road - also has a cafe, little parade of shops behind the Texaco on Bath Road, further down the Bath Road (heading east) is a KFC and Starbucks with car park, heading further west down the Bath Road, is a Shell and another McDonalds.

Terminal 4 - BP Hatton Cross

Terminal 5 - Esso Southern Perimeter Road

Gatwick

North - Tesco Extra further down the A23, Shell service station around the corner, Esso at the roundabout before you get to the Tesco.

South - As mentioned, the BP/McDonalds

Stansted

Services at mentioned

Luton

There's a Shell (Eaton Green Road) and parking down the residential side road

London City

Esso Leamouth Road, also free parking down Wythes Road/Drew Road at the bottom of the airport

Farnborough

Morrisons up the road

London Heliport, Battersea

Halfords/Pets at Home around the corner, Shell, Mcdonalds, BP on Wandsworth Roundabout

The car parking charges I get depends on the company I'm sub-contracting for, some pay the parking charge at cost, in which case I ask when I should enter the terminal, most will say when the flight lands, or a certain length of time after it lands, some give a fixed rate (i.e. £5 or so) in which case I have to judge when to enter the terminal to minimise parking cost (if passenger has luggage, in first class, has a foreign mobile no.). A job booked through me, I charge at cost and enter the terminal when plane lands, unless instructed otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:53 am 

Great post, Chris.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:24 am 

I wait on the ranks at Heathrow.

Much easier. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:47 pm 

GBC wrote:
I wait on the ranks at Heathrow.

Much easier. :wink:

But longer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:41 pm 

Not the weekend just gone it was'nt, about 30 mins from feeder park to job.

Nice. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:05 am 

At BHX you can get a carpark pass for the multi storey. The cost is £5.00 and parking is then £1.50 for up to 3 hours. The pass is supposed to renewed every year but I have never had to renew mine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:17 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:
At BHX you can get a carpark pass for the multi storey. The cost is £5.00 and parking is then £1.50 for up to 3 hours. The pass is supposed to renewed every year but I have never had to renew mine.

Is that any of the short stays or a particular one ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:40 pm 

Paid £2.50 at Bournemouth to drop off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F*cking rip off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:26 pm 

edders23 wrote:
grandad wrote:

Is that any of the short stays or a particular one ?

I use the first muli storey opposite the terminal. You can't use it at the drop and go but I think it can be used in the other multi storey further round.