Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:24 pm 

I wonder if someone could help me plz, do the local councils have to by law have consultation panels. Our LA have stopped ours due to the new administration not wanting to accommodate us hackney drivers in the swansea area.

I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:32 pm 

I believe it is merely a talking shop, maybe good practice. Our local Hackney Carriage association blows hot and cold in terms of interest and commitment. The council frequently turn round and say they're not talking to an association with only, eg, 2% attendance. We then have a big marketing push, get more drivers involved and start talking to the council again, but it's hard work!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:33 pm 

We have had them every 3 months up until our local council change from Lib dem to labour and now no-one seems to want to listen to any problems the trade have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:25 pm 

sarahdeacon wrote:
I wonder if someone could help me plz, do the local councils have to by law have consultation panels. Our LA have stopped ours due to the new administration not wanting to accommodate us hackney drivers in the swansea area.

I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks

Everything a council does has to be done via some sort of consultation. Now what they entails is down to the council, but it must be proper and meaningful.

If they don't, then that is a breach of the law.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:26 pm 

sarahdeacon wrote:
We have had them every 3 months up until our local council change from Lib dem to labour and now no-one seems to want to listen to any problems the trade have.

Then shout a little bit louder, or join one of the unions as they wont be blanked the Labour group.

But not Unite, cos they are sh**e.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:16 am 

Seems like I'm one of the lucky ones who has been invited to meet with the Law Commission to discuss the proposed changes to taxi/ph law. 8)

There's likely to be a lot to discuss next Friday. Evening sees a meeting with the new south eastern Traffic Commissioner to see how he's likely to change the bus side of the business. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:21 pm 

roythebus wrote:
Seems like I'm one of the lucky ones who has been invited to meet with the Law Commission to discuss the proposed changes to taxi/ph law. 8)

If Jessica is there ask her if her head has recovered from her trip to the South Coast. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:58 am 

Did you give her a hard time then?? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:11 pm 

roythebus wrote:
Did you give her a hard time then?? :shock:

No but a concrete pot did. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:18 am 

Never had time to ask about the trip to the south coast..but it was an interesting meeting is all I'll say at the moment with a range of operators represented from me as one of the smallest with 2 cars to a huge multi-national with a turnover of many millions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:09 pm 

roythebus wrote:
Never had time to ask about the trip to the south coast..but it was an interesting meeting is all I'll say at the moment with a range of operators represented from me as one of the smallest with 2 cars to a huge multi-national with a turnover of many millions.

I figure the LC have said the same to your group as they did at every other group meeting. I also figure that the large multi million £££s greedy tw@t was inquiring as to how the LC could make their pot more full :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:10 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Everything a council does has to be done via some sort of consultation. Now what they entails is down to the council, but it must be proper and meaningful.

If they don't, then that is a breach of the law.

Its a blast from the past, but from memory there was a court case regarding taxis and meaningful consultation, Sussex, please point me in the direction, pretty please :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:46 pm 

I'm not sure about a specific taxi judgement, but I suspect the taxi side gains a fair few of their wins via the lack of consultation route.

Are you thinking about the fella from South Wales, maybe Newport?

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ad ... /3051.html

But the general rules of consultation are set out in the Sedley Requirements, or as I've just found out are now called the Gunning Principles.

https://granicus.uk/blog/gunning-principles/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:52 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I'm not sure about a specific taxi judgement, but I suspect the taxi side gains a fair few of their wins via the lack of consultation route.

Are you thinking about the fella from South Wales, maybe Newport?

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ad ... /3051.html

But the general rules of consultation are set out in the Sedley Requirements, or as I've just found out are now called the Gunning Principles.

https://granicus.uk/blog/gunning-principles/

Sadar v Watford I think

Many thanks =D>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:09 pm 

Its a current consultation process in Cumberland regarding our current zones Sussex