Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:28 pm 

GBC wrote:
There's a Victor Kiam in all of us. :wink:

i have, in all the years we have known each other, never questionsed your sexuality :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:32 pm 

Good excuse to post some Jimmy Savile pictures . . .

:lol:

I like the Vietnam war one that's been adapted!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:52 am 

GBC wrote:
Good excuse to post some Jimmy Savile pictures . . .

:lol:

I like the Vietnam war one that's been adapted!

send it me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:06 am 

In my area there's only 2 hacks, the rest are ph cars. why? Because in my semi-rural town of New Romney, we'd have to do knowledge of Folkestone some 15 miles away as well as the local area. I don't really want to work in Folkestone,not enough sheep there.

So I went ph and stay local.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:18 am 

roythebus wrote:
In my area there's only 2 hacks, the rest are ph cars. why? Because in my semi-rural town of New Romney, we'd have to do knowledge of Folkestone some 15 miles away as well as the local area. I don't really want to work in Folkestone,not enough sheep there.

So I went ph and stay local.

The 1 and only rank in my licensing area is 13 miles away and takes only 5 cars, being hackney would make bo difference, i wouldnt need a WAV though, and our joint PH/HC dual badge has a fairly easy knowledge test

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:55 pm 

I think it is pretty clear cut.

The more your 'plate' is worth the more you reckon there is a difference between HC and PH.

If you own a plate worth a 35k cheque (and 40K in cash in a tesco bag please) in a restricted district then you think there is a huge difference.

If you work in the district next door where anyone can apply to the council for a plate for a fee of £200 then you probably don't see any difference.

We hear all this 2hit on here about 'PH wanting to be taxis, stealing our work' but the reality is all those hacks wanting to have a radio and steal the PH cars work doing bookings.

If there is such a difference and you are so superior HCs then sit your arse on the rank and wait for your clientele to come to you, don't go answering your phone and start nicking PH work. And whilst I'm going off on one, get your arse off the sofa and be there to take your clientele home when they are drunk on a Saturday night.

Rant over from a licensed HC driver who knows the truth, a member of the public paying to be carried in a motor car from A to B doesn't give a toss which group they get, as far as they are concerned it is a TAXI.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 pm 

I thought I would be bombarded with abuse after the post above.

Either I hit the nail on the head or some of you diehards are going soft!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:38 am 

Taxis and Ph may well be the same or regarded as the same in your area, but the two could'nt be more different in London.

One side generaly does it for life, the other imports a new bunch of Asian / African / East European drivers every few months, as around 40% don't renew their PH licenses when they realise all the bullchit about 'you'll earn a grand a week' isn't quite what the PH company promised.

One side spends 3 years gaining the qualification and has to spend upwards of £40k on a wav, the other are quite a liberty to buy a 9 year old Astra for £700.

Whilst some of the London public may see no difference, especialy the pizzed ones, most can and understand the big difference.

The new Taxi apps such as Get Taxi, Black Cab App, Cab:App etc . . . mean the majority of Londoners can now get a taxi at their door, with 5 minutes free waiting time, and the standard flag fall of £2.40 when they get in.

Addison Lee and my old mucker JG is reducing his fleet by 600 cars, so i'm guessing he underestimated the Taxi app market, their minimum fare is a whopping £11 !

I can agree on not enough drivers working Thu, Fri, and Sat nights, but lots do, and I suspect demand would outstrip supply even if hundreds more changed to nights.

But I'd hate you not to get some 'abuse' Tom, you seem gutted there was'nt any added to this thread, so I'll add some!

I guess it's directed at all you county drivers who bring people to Heathrow for daft prices, its just i'm getting a little bored of people coming up to me at the terminals expecting me to take them to places like Bournemouth for £85, Cambridge for £75, and Brighton for £85 !!

They always tell me 'well a taxi brought us here for that'

I always suggest it's best they call that taxi to take them back for peanuts because I ain't ! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:37 am 

Oh, and my taxi plate costs about £150 a year!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:44 am 

Tom Thumb wrote:
I thought I would be bombarded with abuse after the post above.

ABUSE ABUSE ABUSE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:46 am 

GBC wrote:

I guess it's directed at all you county drivers who bring people to Heathrow for daft prices, its just i'm getting a little bored of people coming up to me at the terminals expecting me to take them to places like Bournemouth for £85, Cambridge for £75, and Brighton for £85 !!

They always tell me 'well a taxi brought us here for that'

I always suggest it's best they call that taxi to take them back for peanuts because I ain't ! :wink:

Brum to LHR, daytime, saloon, £120, seems ok to me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:00 pm 

It may well do, but not to me it doesn't.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:26 pm 

GBC wrote:
It may well do, but not to me it doesn't.

youve been spoilt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:43 pm 

Before 1976 I get the impression that PRIVATE hire was originally PIRATE hire as they were unlicensed..... Councils and the law up and down the country found it too difficult to catch and prosecute them so legalized it instead......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 pm 

towag wrote:
Before 1976 I get the impression that PRIVATE hire was originally PIRATE hire as they were unlicensed..... Councils and the law up and down the country found it too difficult to catch and prosecute them so legalized it instead......

They didn't legalize it as it wasn't illegal.

They ensured those working in the industry were checked, as were their vehicles and their operators.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next