Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bus lane access
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 pm 

Hi,

I have been a minicab driver in London for the last 16 years. The industry is now more competitive than ever, with a new minicab firm opening every week. It is very rare that I make as much I used to when I first joined the private hire industry. Part of the reason for this is traffic. It has got to ridiculous levels over the last 5 years. Myself and many other drivers have been lobbying for minicabs to have access to bus lanes, and with the help of the "big man" at Addisson Lee, our case is finally being heard. We are arranging a meeting at the Islington Town Hall in April (Date TBD), where Shadow Transport Minister, Maria Eagle will be in attendance. This will be an open forum discussion, where all opinions will be heard. I understand that this may affect the Black Cab industry to a certain extent, but I think now more than ever both industries need to just get along. There will always be enough work for black cab drivers simply because of the nature how you work, and also now thanks to halo many more jobs are coming your way. So, yes, lets move onwards and upwards, and share the bus lanes together!

Raz

Post subject: Re: Bus lane access
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:25 pm 

Hope you have patience a good spokesperson and deep pockets

Ph up here in glasgow fought for bus lane access many moons ago and it was a long hard fight and iirc the ph association spent something like 50 grand in legal costs but from what ve been reading your man at AL seems to be in it for the long haul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:37 pm 

in my area we can drive in bus lanes and there are only 2 main firms worked for both of them at different times both get equal work, there are a few wee ones that only pre book days in advance but both generals and private's up here can use bus lanes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:27 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 am 

Zafira10 wrote:
Hi,

I have been a minicab driver in London for the last 16 years. The industry is now more competitive than ever, with a new minicab firm opening every week. It is very rare that I make as much I used to when I first joined the private hire industry. Part of the reason for this is traffic. It has got to ridiculous levels over the last 5 years. Myself and many other drivers have been lobbying for minicabs to have access to bus lanes, and with the help of the "big man" at Addisson Lee, our case is finally being heard. We are arranging a meeting at the Islington Town Hall in April (Date TBD), where Shadow Transport Minister, Maria Eagle will be in attendance. This will be an open forum discussion, where all opinions will be heard. I understand that this may affect the Black Cab industry to a certain extent, but I think now more than ever both industries need to just get along. There will always be enough work for black cab drivers simply because of the nature how you work, and also now thanks to halo many more jobs are coming your way. So, yes, lets move onwards and upwards, and share the bus lanes together!

Raz

I wish you well.

Access to bus lanes has been discussed on here since TDO day 1, with differing opinions from our London members.

I work in a city that allows all licensed vehicles from any area to use our bus lanes, which I think is the correct way forward.

What I would ask the politician, is how can it be fair that a licensed vehicle in London can't use the bus lanes there, but can use them in other areas? :-k

However expect the Labour politician to be nobbled by the Unite and RMT unions. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 am 

Mr.Adison Lee has deep pockets and has already tested this in the High Court. I understand he's now taking the case to the ECHR on unfair competition grounds. I hope he wins and gets his costs awarded. It only seems to be the UK that has such archaic laws.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:23 am 

Sussex wrote:

Access to bus lanes has been discussed on here since TDO day 1, with differing opinions from our London members.

I work in a city that allows all licensed vehicles from any area to use our bus lanes, which I think is the correct way forward.
Sussex wrote:
Zafira10 wrote:
Hi,

Raz

I wish you well.

What I would ask the politician, is how can it be fair that a licensed vehicle in London can't use the bus lanes there, but can use them in other areas? :-k

However expect the Labour politician to be nobbled by the Unite and RMT unions. :sad:

Wrong as usual Sussex the decision is taken by the Mayor who happens to be Boris Johnson Tory Vermin :badgrin:

Had Ken been elected I believe PH would have got access eusasmiles.zip

Griffin has very deep pockets and has got a date for his european court stunt.

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:09 pm 

trotskys twin wrote:

Remind me how many years Ken was Mayor?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:29 am 

Sussex wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

Remind me how many years Ken was Mayor?

Bus lanes in London are not all controlled by the Mayor many come under the jurisdiction of local borough's Westminster Camden Southwark etc prior to Boris's first term in office Ken was i believe ready to do his bit with TFL and the Borough to attempt to open up ALL bus lanes to PH however he lost that election Boris had made it clear he was not prepared to consider PH access to Bus Lanes he has remained true to his word on this.

Naturally Westminster being true blue were totally against PH access Camden could have been convinced likewise Islington I believe, but remember theres 38 boroughs and getting the agreement of them all will prove DIFFICULT :?: :?:

John Griffin will throw bundles of money at this issue and I hope he is successful on this issue but i doubt he will be, many lawyers will earn bundles out his escapade and the Court case will ensure continued debate on the issue which is good for the PH case.

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:06 pm 

So Griffin will loose more cash trying to change the law, and he'll still be told where to get off.

Excellent. :D

Of course any Minicab driver can gain access to the Bus Lanes, it's called becoming a real London cab driver, investing in a wheelchair accessible taxi and learning London like the back of your hand.

Simple really.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm 
As a union representing both Hacks and PH members. exactly how is it decided which camp to keep sweetest on an issue like bus lanes?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 pm 

Gobby wrote:
As a union representing both Hacks and PH members. exactly how is it decided which camp to keep sweetest on an issue like bus lanes?

There is no union with Hack and PH members in London :D

NEXT NONSENSE :p :p

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:28 am 

Its not as if 100,000 extra vehicles using the bus lanes will make any difference :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:01 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Its not as if 100,000 extra vehicles using the bus lanes will make any difference :roll:

Capt suggest you stick to shagging sheep :D :D there's 67300 licensed PH Drivers in the TFL area and the bus lanes are spread over all over London but most are in Central London which is where PH is least active!! in the suburbs where you cant find GBC and his cronies there are Bus Lanes which would not be affected by PH access, the Industry ie PH view now is EQUALITY either PH and Hack IN or OUT no discrimination. :D

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 pm 

Hailos changed the suburban coverage terry, get taxi are making inroads too.

Yep, in 2013 you can get a taxi to your door with two taps on your phone.

Progress.