Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:40 am 

I've been a private hire driver for a long time,nearly 20 years now and over the last year my interest,hours and takings have crashed....I decided I needed a break and just went for it so nearly 2 months later its nearly time to go back :doubt:

I'm starting back in a few weeks and just hope I make a fair go of it,as much as a pain as our job can be i dont want to do anything else and still enjoy it underneath and will probably do this till my days are up.

Here's hoping I can once again brave the hours,the hassle, the idiots and the drunks and almost enjoy it like I used to :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:14 am 

gbone wrote:
Here's hoping I can once again brave the hours,the hassle, the idiots and the drunks and almost enjoy it like I used to :lol:

Good luck to you. Mind you the idiots and drunks and hassel have all gone away so you won't have to bother with them. So that just leaves the long hours. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 am 

gbone wrote:

Don't let it get to you.

Don't brave the idiots/drunks/etc, blank them if they are giving you grief.

If you don't like the look of people and think they are trouble, then don't pick them up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:23 am 

Good luck on your return. I took a year off, on my return I changed circuits and I have to say it was the best thing I did. The circuit I'm on now have very little work in Town and for the most part I spend my time taking the punters into town before they become a pain :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:35 pm 

toots wrote:
Good luck on your return. I took a year off, on my return I changed circuits and I have to say it was the best thing I did. The circuit I'm on now have very little work in Town and for the most part I spend my time taking the punters into town before they become a pain :D

im goin back to the same firm purely because of the owners they are decent and ive been on a lot of circuits over the years,i mean where we are its bad everywhere and no one firm makes so much more than the others so its all about finding somewhere you are happy(ish) with

my biggest problem before having a break was i was getting lazier and lazier and just couldnt seem to hack it without constantly counting time and going off early it got to a point i was practically part time and we all know this job involves hours :sad:

the aim is to treat it like a proper job again and just work my set shifts regardless

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:22 pm 

If i have two days off in a row i dont want to come back !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:35 pm 

gbone wrote:
my biggest problem before having a break was i was getting lazier and lazier and just couldnt seem to hack it without constantly counting time and going off early it got to a point i was practically part time and we all know this job involves hours :sad:

Get a few books to keep you busy in the dead times.

Never go home. [-X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Never go home. [-X

now that one seriously harms my wealth :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:49 pm 

Sussex wrote:
gbone wrote:

Get a few books to keep you busy in the dead times.

Never go home. [-X

I think its this simple really,over the last year or two ive been getting more and more lax and just doing a bit then swanning off....I need to just go at a certain time do my hours and thats that

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:12 am 

gbone wrote:
I think its this simple really,over the last year or two ive been getting more and more lax and just doing a bit then swanning off....I need to just go at a certain time do my hours and thats that

Personally I work the other way. My thinking is "why sit on a rank all day doing a shift when there isn't that much rank work." I can sit at home and answer the phone and do the jobs that come in that way. Hey but rhat is just me.
There are drivers in my town that sit on the rank from 7.00 in the morning until 5.00 at night and they may get 3 or 4 jobs from the rank. They will be getting far more from their phones but still they do it day in day out.