Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:13 am 

[quote="wannabeeahack"][quote="GBC"]

I guess it's directed at all you county drivers who bring people to Heathrow for daft prices, its just i'm getting a little bored of people coming up to me at the terminals expecting me to take them to places like Bournemouth for £85, Cambridge for £75, and Brighton for £85 !!

We only charge £90 for Bournemouth to Heathrow and thats expensive to some cutomers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:41 pm 

BOURNEMOUTHTAXI wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
GBC wrote:

I guess it's directed at all you county drivers who bring people to Heathrow for daft prices, its just i'm getting a little bored of people coming up to me at the terminals expecting me to take them to places like Bournemouth for £85, Cambridge for £75, and Brighton for £85 !!

We only charge £90 for Bournemouth to Heathrow and thats expensive to some cutomers

I'd call that cheap for a 200 mile round trip.

A quid odds for a loaf is expensive, but people still pay it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:27 pm 

towag wrote:
Before 1976 I get the impression that PRIVATE hire was originally PIRATE hire as they were unlicensed..... Councils and the law up and down the country found it too difficult to catch and prosecute them so legalized it instead......

Just for the record, Brighton licensed PH in 1966, thanks mainly to the main HC company(Brighton Streamline) becoming concerned about the amount and quality of our cars (The then "Southern Taxis"), so the council licensed PH, some 10yrs before the MP Act, most other LA's then gradually followed Brighton's lead , even the PM Act is pretty much as Brighton had already done! and as we know the rest is history!! =D> =D>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 pm 

BOURNEMOUTHTAXI wrote:

[-(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:41 pm 

We seem to be drifting along the "cheap fares in Milton Keynes" thread here!

Why TF should anyone want to do 200 miles for £90 is beyond my comprehension; with average running costs of 45p a mile (using HMRC figures and my own calculations), that's £81 in running cost,s so £9 for up to 5 hours driving! Assume the fuel consumption is 40 mpg, at about £7.50 a gallon, that's about £38 in fuel, plus wear and tear on the car, say £5.

So, the £90 fare give a contribution to the running costs of the car of £38, so in effect the driver is "getting" £46 for his time, but wearing his car out at a quicker rate. Take that into account, it'd be cheaper to sit at home and wait for a few £5 local fares than chase up and down the M3 for less than £2 an hour! Better to do 10 local fares at a fiver each and be just as well off! The same £38 towards running costs, an hour or two's work, and only about a tenner in fuel!