Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:19 am 

Grandad wrote:
Making off without payment carries a 2 year prison sentence and up to £5,000 fine. If a passenger thinks, or knows that they have been overcharged they should seek redress through the proper channels.

I don't think refusing to pay is the same as making off without payment :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:57 am 

toots wrote:
Grandad wrote:
Making off without payment carries a 2 year prison sentence and up to £5,000 fine. If a passenger thinks, or knows that they have been overcharged they should seek redress through the proper channels.

He's always right you know. :roll:

Anyone who feels they've been over charged by a Taxi Driver can walk off without paying the driver.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:11 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
toots wrote:
Grandad wrote:

He's always right you know. :roll:

Anyone who feels they've been over charged by a Taxi Driver can walk off without paying the driver.

no, they should ask for a receipt and the drivers badge number (which he is, of course, wearing) and note down the journey and times, then a complaint in writing to the LA is the correct course, walking off without payment is not a sure fire winner...unless you want free B&B under a blue lamp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:15 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
no, they should ask for a receipt and the drivers badge number (which he is, of course, wearing) and note down the journey and times, then a complaint in writing to the LA is the correct course, walking off without payment is not a sure fire winner...unless you want free B&B under a blue lamp

Our LO and the local Plod have told us to tell passengers to refuse payment if they feel they've been overcharged.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:16 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Our LO and the local Plod have told us to tell passengers to refuse payment if they feel they've been overcharged.

will the LO pay the fines and stand the criminal record?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:25 pm 

Quote:
walking off without payment is not a sure fire winner...unless you want free B&B under a blue lamp

That is not strictly true!

What you should do is to turn it into a civil matter! You show the driver that you have the means to pay i.e show him/her the cash, identify yourself i.e bank card/driving license.........and leave your address. In turn take his/her details i.e badge number, cab number and cab registration number + company if applicable!!!! That will frighten the dooby out of most of them, because you are clearly demonstrating that you know what you are doing - if they are not kosher in their dealings, you will NOT hear anything more about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

will the LO pay the fines and stand the criminal record?

If you can show you have the means to pay but are refusing to pay it's a different matter altogether. What you're suggesting is pay them anyway and hope to get a refund, I don't think so not in my life anyway. Personally I think it's best to pay what you are normally charged, refuse to pay the excess, take down details and report them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:57 pm 

toots wrote:
If you can show you have the means to pay but are refusing to pay it's a different matter altogether. What you're suggesting is pay them anyway and hope to get a refund, I don't think so not in my life anyway. Personally I think it's best to pay what you are normally charged, refuse to pay the excess, take down details and report them.

When I was overcharged by a driver (twice) On each occasion I paid the fare and got a receipt and the drivers details. I reported the incidents to the licencing department and I received a cheque from the company that the driver worked for. The cheque was not for the sum overcharged but for the total fare in both cases. The licensing department now have a record of the incidents in case anyone else makes a complaint. Simples.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:08 pm 

grandad wrote:
toots wrote:

When I was overcharged by a driver (twice) On each occasion I paid the fare and got a receipt and the drivers details. I reported the incidents to the licencing department and I received a cheque from the company that the driver worked for. The cheque was not for the sum overcharged but for the total fare in both cases. The licensing department now have a record of the incidents in case anyone else makes a complaint. Simples.

Not all companies work that way though and not all drivers work for companies, the licencing would still have a record doing it my way also :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:09 pm 

I remember telling a hard of hearing punter the fare was £15

she said "how much?"

I said "£20"...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 pm 

If the driver wants double what the fare shoould be why should she pay him, he is trying to rob her and other customers as well, why should you pay someone like that, but most driver here are white scott, but there is the odd asian, or polish drivers that allot of people won't go in with. and you don't get a receipt up here very few driver and the machine to make them

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:07 pm 

United Taxis 11 wrote:
If the driver wants double what the fare shoould be why should she pay him, he is trying to rob her and other customers as well, why should you pay someone like that, but most driver here are white scott, but there is the odd asian, or polish drivers that allot of people won't go in with. and you don't get a receipt up here very few driver and the machine to make them

I could stand corrected; I thought that it was a legal requirement to have to provide a receipt!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:08 pm 

cabby john wrote:
United Taxis 11 wrote:

I could stand corrected; I thought that it was a legal requirement to have to provide a receipt!

It is and you don't need a machine. Just a pad of receipts and a pen.

Something like this will do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:11 pm 

gusmac wrote:
cabby john wrote:
United Taxis 11 wrote:

yes the firm has there own and i have over 200 in my doorcard and give them out if asked, but very few have the machine hooked up to the meter that give receipts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 pm 

United Taxis 11 wrote:
gusmac wrote:

yes the firm has there own and i have over 200 in my doorcard and give them out if asked,

That is all that's required.

Quote:
but very few have the machine hooked up to the meter that give receipts

Not needed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next