Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:54 pm 

Letter: Taxi driver took real liberties

Last week I had the misfortune to use a Blackburn private hire taxi.

I was not aware that today’s taxis seem to be oblivious to any road manners that was going on when I passed my driving test 50 years ago. We were propelled along Preston Old Road at speeds well in excess of 50mph although he did slow down at the speed cameras.

Upon reaching the traffic lights at the junction with Penny Street on Barbara Castle Way we accelerated through the lights on red. At this time I informed the driver that he was being rather naughty. His reply was that it was ok as there are no police about at this time of night. 10-30pm. After which he drove at a reasonable rate.

If this is the general standard of today’s Blackburn taxi drivers isn’t it time the council did something about it.

Would we not all feel safer in a cab if the driver had to take a professional driving test?

Disgruntled passenger, Name and address supplied

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/op ... liberties/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:26 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I suspect that this is not unique to Blackburn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:35 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I suspect that this is not unique to Blackburn

Which bit,calling a ph a taxi ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:55 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
No the standard of driving !!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:46 am 

A couple of years ago, a local owner driver borrowed one of my vehicles whilst his was off the road. My vehicles are fitted with trackers. At one stage during the night he had a fare either to or from a village 6 miles out of town so there would have been passengers on board either there or back, it doesn't matter which. Anyway the trackers are set to show an alarm when the vehicles go above 60 mph. Sure enough the alarm was triggered. When I checked the speed the vehicle was driven at 100 MPH in both directions. The speed limit was 60 MPH.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 am 

grandad wrote:
A couple of years ago, a local owner driver borrowed one of my vehicles whilst his was off the road. My vehicles are fitted with trackers. At one stage during the night he had a fare either to or from a village 6 miles out of town so there would have been passengers on board either there or back, it doesn't matter which. Anyway the trackers are set to show an alarm when the vehicles go above 60 mph. Sure enough the alarm was triggered. When I checked the speed the vehicle was driven at 100 MPH in both directions. The speed limit was 60 MPH.

I bet you didn't borrow him a vehicle again? Wadda tool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:14 am 

Nidge2 wrote:
grandad wrote:

I bet you didn't borrow him a vehicle again? Wadda tool.

Erm, No. When I asked him why he was driving my car at that speed his reply was " I don't think I have done it any harm."
For the first time in a while, I was left speechless, but not for long. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 am 

the passenger was lucky, the driver maybe thought the 3 cars hugging his back bumper would shunt him if he stopped as they all went through the redlight too

kamikazi doesnt come into it, must get me that dashboard camera.....