Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:02 pm 

Struggling to work out the racist element here...

Glasgow taxi driver launches 'racist' rant against private hire car driver in road rage row

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas ... t-28162247

The private hire driver was carrying passengers when he was accused of trying to kill them.

A taxi driver accused a private hire driver of going to kill passengers during a road rage incident in the city centre.

But private hire driver Saleem Dean claimed the taxi driver was being racist towards him in a heated exchange over his driving.

The black taxi driver lodged a complaint about Mr Dean accusing him of erratic driving and cutting across lanes - and claiming it was necessary to brake to avoid a collision.

The pair were driving in Hope Street when the argument began it is understood.

The taxi driver reacted to Mr Dean's driving while a section of the street was cordoned off for road works in April, a meeting heard.

The row continued into West George Street and the taxi driver pulled alongside Mr Dean asking what he was playing at. He said Mr Dean used bad language.

It culminated with the taxi driver getting out of his vehicle when Mr Dean pulled over.

Mr Dean appeared in front of the city's licensing and regulatory committee yesterday over the complaint that he was not a fit and proper person to hold a licence.

He told councillors the complainant called him a 'd**k' and pulled in front of him when he dropped passengers at Queen Street station.

He said the taxi driver called him a "killer" and a "pig"

He added: "I think he had a bad day."

Committee chair councillor Alex Wilson, SNP, said the taxi driver had accused Mr Dean of "erratic driving" and "zipping about all over the place."

Mr Dean explained he had moved lanes at a slow speed.

Explaining more about the other driver's behaviour, Mr Dean added "He said to my passengers: 'He is going to kill you.'"

Mr Dean said: "I asked what his problem was and if he was a racist."

Councillor Wilson said people should not face that type of provocation based on their religion and being a Muslim.

The committee decided that no action would be taken against Mr Dean based on the complaint to the council's taxi and private hire enforcement unit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:04 pm 

Quote:
Councillor Wilson said people should not face that type of provocation based on their religion and being a Muslim.

Was it the word 'pig'? Only thing I can think of, but if I wanted to racially insult a Muslim, that's not the kind of word that would spring to mind.

(And, of course, Muslim isn't a race per se, but the r-word is pretty broad brush these days. Just like the t-word in the trade :-o )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:49 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Quote:

Was it the word 'pig'? Only thing I can think of, but if I wanted to racially insult a Muslim, that's not the kind of word that would spring to mind.

(And, of course, Muslim isn't a race per se, but the r-word is pretty broad brush these days. Just like the t-word in the trade :-o )

Maybe it was the 'he is going to kill you' comment, which could be viewed by the thick as he is a terrorist etc.

But as I said in the other thread, once the word racist is mentioned to councillors they all go a bit wobbly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:55 am 

Sussex, I took the "he's going to kill you" as referring to his driving and to that extent putting the passengers in danger. Pretty unlikely, obviously, but it's the kind of grossly exaggerated thing that people often say in scenarios like that.

But, of course, it's maybe one of those scenarios where the precise words said and the precise details of the scenario are very important.

So to that extent, I wouldn't trust either driver, nor the councillors on the committee, nor the press reporting it. So probably best to say no more :-# :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:49 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
here's a thought HCD driver wasn't racist but did lose their temper and made a complaint

PH driver talks to his family and friends and decides that the best way to deal with the complaint is to use the race card because as my former LO used to say it was council policy if any hint of a racial slur was made during a complaint it went straight in the bin.