Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:29 pm 

Warwickshire woman jailed after making false rape claim against taxi driver

A WOMAN was jailed after a taxi driver was falsely accused of rape.

Last month at Warwick Crown Court, Emma Bayley, 42, of Chesford Crescent, Warwick was jailed for three years and nine months after pleading guilty to committing an act with intent to pervert the course of justice.

The driver was accused of raping Bayley in March 2021 during a taxi journey from Tamworth to Warwick.

The man was arrested and denied any wrongdoing. He was bailed while police continued their enquiries and were quickly able to prove his innocence.

Crime intelligence analyst, Brady Andrews, pieced together automatic numberplate recognition data, telecommunications data and GPS data to prove the taxi was not stationary for more than 12 seconds during the journey and that the attack could not have taken place as the woman described.

The taxi driver said he lost his job and his marriage broke down.The taxi driver said he lost his job and his marriage broke down. Following the false allegation, the taxi driver lost his job and his marriage broke down.

The victim said: “I am very grateful to everyone for their hard work and dedication, going above and beyond to fight for justice in this case. Had the lies not been uncovered, it is likely I would have been charged with rape, remanded in custody and faced a trial.

“Dealing with an allegation like this, when you know you are innocent, is genuinely traumatic. I can’t understand why someone would make up an allegation like this, undermining all those genuine victims of rape by doing so.”

Lead investigator, Det Sgt Magnus McAuley from Warwickshire Police CID, said: “Fortunately cases like this are extremely rare but when they happen the courts treat them extremely seriously. This is a reflection of the torment they cause to the person falsely accused and the police resources they tie up.

“The impact this false allegation had on the victim has been immense and I hope he can take some comfort from the sentence handed down as he attempts to rebuild his life.

“All reports of rape and sexual assault are treated with the upmost seriousness and will be fully investigated. False allegations mean police resources are diverted from genuine victims of serious crime.

“The evidence we found that the allegation was false was so overwhelming, we were left in no doubt that we owed it to the falsely accused man to bring her to justice.”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:30 pm 

I really can't imagine anything worse. :sad: :sad:

Please everyone consider CCTV. [-o<