Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:16 pm 

The new look restricted councils can be viewed here.

http://taxi-driver.co.uk/quota.html

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:18 pm 

JD wrote:

Your like a dog with a new bone. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:25 pm 

Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

Surely a dog with an OLD bone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:28 pm 

Is it safe to assume that Lincoln has a plate value of zero, zilch, nada, as it does not warrant a mention?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:37 pm 

Why is it the conerstone of your recycled mantra that there are Quality controls, or Quantity controls?

Why not quantity AND quality?

Clearly, where Quantity controls are abolished, there can only be quality controls.

But I cannot see where a Council that stipulates, with good reason, Quantity control, cannot also stipulate Quality control?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:41 pm 

East Lindsey, "Quality control" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:24 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Is it safe to assume that Lincoln has a plate value of zero, zilch, nada, as it does not warrant a mention?

I think in the grand scale of things Lincoln is best ignored. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:36 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:

I think in the grand scale of things Lincoln is best ignored. :wink:

Funny that, so do I.

But would it be ignored if I sold my plate for 80K?

As usual, we wouldn't want the truth getting in the way of a good story.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:08 pm 

Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

A very "time consuming" new bone!

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:34 pm 

JD wrote:
Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

A very "time consuming" new bone!

Regards

JD

So, will you bury it?

To borrow from Al Gore, there seems to be an "inconvenient truth" with this new look list.

Plate values are another cornerstone of the mythical realities on this site. I have no idea what levels of value a license plate may achieve in any other area, but I do know the local level. I wonder what kind of research is to take place to bring JD's list of plate values up to date in the MAJORITY of areas, which he fails to mention. I also wonder where he gets his figures for the ones he does publish. I wonder if anyone else finds it remarkable that six out of the first seven have a value stated at £45,000, remarkable that Cities as far apart as Brighton and Blackpool, Leeds and Liverpool, Manchester and Newcastle all place EXACTLY the same value on a plate. (or is it a plated vehicle?) Who knows? Sounds unlikely to me. Of course, Lincoln, and the MAJORITY of restricted areas are not worthy of mention, because this would be an inconvenient truth. I really, really hate to have to use the too often used phrase, but it would seem to me, at least, That JD's research is, well, "FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:37 pm 

jimbo wrote:
Why is it the conerstone of your recycled mantra that there are Quality controls, or Quantity controls?

Clearly, where Quantity controls are abolished, there can only be quality controls.

But I cannot see where a Council that stipulates, with good reason, Quantity control, cannot also stipulate Quality control?

In respect of the two policies that TDO highlight, namely "Quality controls" and "Quantity controls" the actual term "quality control policy" was first brought to prominence by my continued reference to it in the Restricted council list.

The wording wasn't by accident because it was meant to help those councils who had a restrictive policy realise that there was an alternative to their current policy of "quantity controls". I think in many cases that the words "Quality control policy" did indeed make some authorities realise that there was an alternative to qauntity controls. The words "Quality control" are now part of the everyday language of the Taxi trade but as you say, you can have both "quality controls" and "quantity controls". However you will no doubt find that "most" and I do emphasise "most" councils, who were restricted and have recently derestricted have put in place stricter quality controls than they had in place before they deristricted. Therefore I can confidently say that the majority of those councils who operate solely under a policy of quantity control probably have some way to go in order to catch up to those councils who have recently removed restrictions and operate a policy of quality control. Blackpool is a fine example of poor quality "vehicle" controls in a quantity controlled area.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:49 pm 

JD wrote:
jimbo wrote:

In respect of the two policies that TDO highlight, namely "Quality controls" and "Quantity controls" the actual term "quality control policy" was first brought to prominence by my continued reference to it in the Restricted council list.

The wording wasn't by accident because it was meant to help those councils who had a restrictive policy realise that there was an alternative to their current policy of "quantity controls". I think in many cases that the words "Quality control policy" did indeed make some authorities realise that there was an alternative to qauntity controls. The words "Quality control" are now part of the everyday language of the Taxi trade but as you say, you can have both "quality controls" and "quantity controls". However you will no doubt find that "most" and I do emphasise "most" councils, who were restricted and have recently derestricted have put in place stricter quality controls than they had in place before they deristricted. Therefore I can confidently say that the majority of those councils who operate solely under a policy of quantity control probably have some way to go in order to catch up to those councils who have recently removed restrictions and operate a policy of quality control. Blackpool is a fine example of poor quality "vehicle" controls in a quantity controlled area.

Regards

JD

I'm not at all surprised that you used Blackpool as an example.

If there are poor quality vehicle controls, then it is obviously in the council's remit to tighten up the licensing and testing controls, which is as easy to do with quantity controls, as it is without. Some would say it would be easier. Me for instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:57 pm 

So, what are the plate values in:-

Aylesbury

Barrow

Chorley

Dover

Ellesmere Port

Havant

Knowsley

Lincoln. I can help with this one £4,000. (source, Halcrow survey) and Me.

Mid Sussex. Open to legal challenge, it says. Go for it Sussex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:01 pm 

How much is the plate value in Birmingham ??? You seemed to have missed it out. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:04 pm 

MR T wrote:
How much is the plate value in Birmingham ??? You seemed to have missed it out. :wink:

Just a stab in the dark, Mr T, but I'll guess at £45,000